Dakl

Raspi+motion slow on raspian but not wheezy beta

Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:59 pm

Hi,

I have been testing a webcam setup with motion for a few weeks. I have been able to sort out all power issues by driving the camera via a powered USB hub. With the wheezy beta installed, everything worked fine, decent FPS (albeit at low res) and only ≈300 ms lag. All very good.

A couple of days ago, I upgraded to Raspbian expecting a performance increase. With my webcam (which by the way is a Logitech QuickCam E 3500) it au contraire. When I start motion, the raspi is choking! When typing a command, it takes a second to display each character in the terminal (all via ssh). The cpu load is not too bad, generally ≈30%, never over 50% so it doesn't seem to be that. The network traffic is < 50 k/s, so that doesn't seem to be the problem either. Killing the motion process brings the pi back to it's usual snappy self, all happy again.

Does anyone else have similar issues with Raspbian? Wheezy worked fine...

cheers
Daniel

hobo4567

Re: Raspi+motion slow on raspian but not wheezy beta

Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:46 am

I find when I increase the frame rate it looks good when you play the video .swf file but the down side the system loads up and is slow, slow, slow.
I am using my setup as a security cam, and so I slowed the frame rate down and I am satisfied with that
That's just raspi's downside I believe.

chris.meyers.fsu

Re: Raspi+motion slow on raspian but not wheezy beta

Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:25 pm

Diff the two configuration files (/usr/local/etc/motion.conf). Chances are there are some advanced features turned on that is slowing it down.

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”