Official RPI Touchscreen - is it upside down in the frame?

The official Raspbery Pi touch display

10 posts
by SteveSe » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:04 am
Does the screen for the new 7" touchscreen mount in the frame upside down?

I mounted the screen as per the instructions - however a firmware update made it work
upside down. I don't believe this is not an error, rather a deliberate change.
The screen is designed to work that way up.

My thoughts are that, sadly someone has made a mistake in the early implementation of the screen which has resulted in the frame not being fit for purpose. ie it mounts the screen upside down. Once the firmware is updated to the latest version the screen turns upside down.

The viewing angle is massively improved if the screen this way up - but it is upside down in the frame.

But to follow through my steps.

I got a brand new RPI2 - ordered a touchscreen complete with mounting frame.

Brand new install of Rasbian - everything works fine. Run "startx", touch screen performance not brilliant but display works fine and is the right way up.

Install KODI, again all fine, display right way up, touch screen performance marginal when using kodi - [needs a skin with bigger "buttons".]

Next to install high quality audio card - here is where the problems begin.

The first line of the installation instruction is to issue command "sudo rpi-update". This updates RPI firmware to latest version. Update completes - RPI reboots and screen display is upside down!

This can be fixed with LCD-rotate=2 command in config file.

HOWEVER this highlights that the viewing angle of the screen is designed to be the other way up. Look at your screen with the ribbon cable at the bottom. Play a video - with the ribbon cable at the bottom of the frame the vertical viewing angle of the screen is hugely different. The screen works much better the other way up but wont fit in the frame that way round.

In conclusion - the screen mounts in the frame upside down.

Any comments on this please?

On the upside it does look brilliant mounted in the frame. I plan to use it as a media centre using KODI, Pi-digiAMP+ and some quality speakers. It is just a shame that the screen is not performing at its best when the wrong way up, it really needs a solution, the frame is not right.
by fruitoftheloom » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:49 pm
Ex Computer Repair & Service Technician.
RPi 3B, HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer, Google Chromecast, Android Smart Phone, HD 1080p TV and 3/4G Mobile Internet make ideal companions.
by meigrafd » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:10 pm
The Big Problem with all earliest Display Cases is that the Cable-Outputs are on the wrong side, because all manufactures had build their Cases with the 'wrong' Rotation.

Last Week the Rotation changed in Firmware so its now 180° upside down... (i know it was before flipped and now correct, but that doesnt change the Case-Problem)

I think its better to wait a little bit till new Versions of the Display-Cases will arrive :!:
by gadgetoid » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:59 pm
HDMI, power and 3.5mm audio cables wont route out tidily and wont be particularly accessible with the Pi and LCD in its "better viewing angle" rotation. It's a trade-off.

Right now, stay calm and "lcd_rotate=2". We've got our top boffins working on it.
by pacaj2am » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:54 pm
Code: Select all
display_rotate = 2
does not rotate with touch-screen. Is tehre a way, how to correct also touchscreen?

Thank you

Jan
by texy » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:57 am
pacaj2am wrote:
display_rotate = 2
does not rotate with touch-screen. Is tehre a way, how to correct also touchscreen?

Thank you

Jan

See the suggestions in this thread :
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 8&t=120793

Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by wotid » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:18 pm
pacaj2am wrote:
display_rotate = 2

Thank you

Jan

Simply try lcd_rotate=2 instead.
- Steve.
by remonlam » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:12 am
Yep same issue over here, however fixed with adding "lcd_rotate=2" to the config.txt

If you are really lazy, you can run this little script and it will make the changes for you ;-)
https://github.com/remonlam/rpi-touch-display-fix

Off topic: does anyone knows why this change has been made?
by gadgetoid » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:34 pm
remonlam wrote:Off topic: does anyone knows why this change has been made?

Depending on how you mount/stand the LCD the previous default rotation could be considered as being upside-down, since it had a slightly worse viewing angle from above than the new rotation. For better or worse, the default was changed to the more correct of the two options and it's been done sooner rather than later to minimize impact.

Whether or not the viewing angle is a problem for you is really a matter of LCD positioning/angle and your personal taste, but we're hoping to update the display frame to support both orientations.

Right now it doesn't bother me at all when I'm slouched at my desk :D
by skyzem » Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:47 pm
Hi!

Thank you very much. I must have searched for the wrong terms in google... mi scusi
Replacing display_rotate with lcd_rotate did it!

BR
/skyzem