VonHatte

OutputOpenDrain

Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:55 am

Hi,

I am doing project where I need to use GPIO pins as OutputOpenDrain. Problem is that when I am setting drive mode in code I get exception that says that drive mode is not supported.

To the actual question: Is it that Raspberry Pi 2 does not support OutputOpenDrain mode at all or are only few of them supporting it (I tried this on several GPIO)? Does anyone know any workaround that I could use (preferably without any changes to electronics)?

fruitoftheloom

Re: OutputOpenDrain

Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:48 am

VonHatte wrote:Hi,

I am doing project where I need to use GPIO pins as OutputOpenDrain. Problem is that when I am setting drive mode in code I get exception that says that drive mode is not supported.

To the actual question: Is it that Raspberry Pi 2 does not support OutputOpenDrain mode at all or are only few of them supporting it (I tried this on several GPIO)? Does anyone know any workaround that I could use (preferably without any changes to electronics)?
This is the Raspberry Pi 2B GPIO web page for Windows 10 IoT Core:

https://ms-iot.github.io/content/en-US/ ... gsRPi2.htm

http://ms-iot.github.io/content/en-US/w ... Coding.htm
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Buster.
Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1

rpdom

Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:16 pm

The Raspberry Pi GPIOs do not have an Open Drain Output mode.
[edit] I suppose you could emulate by setting the GPIO to Input when you would set Open Drain output high, and Output Low when you would want to pull it low. That way it would pull down when "0" and float when "1".

and plugwash has beaten me too it :)
Last edited by rpdom on Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:18 pm

You can simulate open drain by setting the output value to 0 and then using the direction register as your output signal.

VonHatte

Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:27 pm

Thank you all for answering. I tried using normal output without knowing raspberry pi in internal circuitry and it seems to work. It's not optimal so I'm going to give a try direction register.

Thank you all!

Return to “Windows 10 for IoT”