Brother HL-L2300D Printer on Pi

4 posts
by hal58 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:11 am
Newegg just had a special on these Laser printers for $49.99 and I picked one up to use as a network printer from a Raspberry Pi2. Unfortunately, Brother only fully supports MS-Windows and Mac and a token i386 driver for Linux. They claim that their binary portion of this driver is proprietary and apparently won release the source, so I went digging and thanks to Peter De Wachter found success. With a little tweaking to his instructions, his sources are compilable on the Pi2 and seem to work well.

First, download his ZIP file at https://github.com/pdewacht/brlaser and unzip it. It creates a directory called brlaser-master. in your current directory. ´cd´ into it. Next you will need to install the tools to compile source code and some other files to use as input. Get these with:

sudo apt-get install cups build-essential libcups2-dev libcupsimage2-dev automake-1.11

The last file in this list was missing from the original instructions and removed some errors.

Next, begin the configuration and compilation process. After each step, you _should_ receive no errors but if you do, try to correct them before moving on.

./autogen.sh
./configure
make
sudo make install

If there were no errors when you get here, then the driver is installed and you are ready to configure the printer driver. By default, version 3 of this driver (which is the one currently available) supports three Brother printers:
* Brother DCP-7030
* Brother DCP-7055
* Brother DCP-7065DN

First reset the CUPS driver so that these new choices are available

sudo service cups restart

Then open a browser (Epiphany is the new default) and navigate to:
http://localhost:631
select the ´Administration´ tab and ´Add Printer´. You will be prompted for your username and password. Step through the options selecting one of the available drivers with ´brlaser´ in it. Just to make sure that it is working, select the ´Maintenance´ tab and print a test sheet. If it comes out Ok, then you are good to print.

Enjoy and thanks to Peter for doing the hard work.
by PhotonX » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:52 pm
Hi, are you still able to use your HL-L2300D on the Raspi? I've followed your HowTo (big thanks for it!) but ran into some strange problems: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... p?t=127401
by Ridgeland » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:42 pm
Thank you!
I now have a Raspberry Pi with SSH and VNC working as a WiFi local print server. My printer is a DCP7065DN. Brother's download did not work, neither did the listed ones from jessie. I have tightvncserver in /etc/rc.local on the Raspberry Pi so any time it's on I can access it from my PC using vncviewer. I'm using Xubuntu 14.04.3 at my PC.
The automake-1.11 crashed - use just "automake" as now it's at 1.14 I think.
by PhotonX » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:00 am