goingalong
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:46 pm

Enabling USB Touch Screen - How?

Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:15 pm

I have just received via ebay an unbranded "7 inch USB Capacitive Touch Screen Display LCD 800x480 HDMI" I have the display working but not the touch screen input from USB. The limited specification says that the touch screen controller is STM32-103.

I can see live touch data coming as a stream into /dev/usb/hiddev0 but obviously need to configure the system to recognise that data.

I am using Raspian (latest update) and lsusb gives:
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0eef:0005 D-WAV Scientific Co., Ltd
My question is - has anyone succeeded in bringing this type of screen into use and if so how?

Obviously this is a little tricky without knowing the brand details so I am "hoping" for a generic solution.

Mikchel
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:09 am

Re: Enabling USB Touch Screen - How?

Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:21 pm

The question is old enough but i will answer. May be it will help.
I have similar touchscreen from Eleduino shop.
Please have a look on:
https://github.com/bsteinsbo/rpi_touch_driver

I compiled this app and it works with this touchscreen.

WBR,

supermoose
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:38 pm

Re: Enabling USB Touch Screen - How?

Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:50 pm

Hi guys,

Can a projector be connected to the touch screen by VGA cable?

Please let me know. Thanks.

SuperMoose

supermoose
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:38 pm

Re: Enabling USB Touch Screen - How?

Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:06 pm

Is there any large touchscreen (24 inch) that can be connected to Raspberry Pi 2?

klricks
Posts: 6375
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:01 am
Location: Grants Pass, OR, USA
Contact: Website

Re: Enabling USB Touch Screen - How?

Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:19 pm

supermoose wrote:Is there any large touchscreen (24 inch) that can be connected to Raspberry Pi 2?
I have Hannspree H231 (23") touch (USB) monitor which works with my RPi (Raspbian Wheezy). The screen is 10pt touch but only seems to act as a limited single point mouse mode on the RPi. The mouse pointer moves to where you touch the screen, then you double tap to open an icon or menu item.... nothing else.
It's been some time since I tried it so there may be some improvements?
Last edited by klricks on Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Stretch w/ Desktop OS.

blc
Posts: 465
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:28 am

Re: Enabling USB Touch Screen - How?

Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:10 pm

Mikchel wrote:The question is old enough but i will answer. May be it will help.
I have similar touchscreen from Eleduino shop.
Please have a look on:
https://github.com/bsteinsbo/rpi_touch_driver

I compiled this app and it works with this touchscreen.

WBR,
For anyone else encountering the same issue with similar screens - 7", HDMI interface, USB touch input - this is probably the best answer. I have a 5" version which only has single-point resistive touch, but this driver doesn't work with my screen. I raised an issue on the github repo to try and ask for help, but the author hasn't been active on github since July last year - I don't think I'm going to get an answer...

I've been looking at the code this evening and I may have figured out a workaround. Probably won't be able to test it for a couple of days though, and I'm not a C programmer so I'm probably totally wrong.

EDIT: For those who may be interested... The author's driver expects a 25-byte touch input event over USB, but using xdd I've discovered that my screen seems to send a 22-byte event (https://i.imgur.com/SLkGJza.png). I think I've worked out how to modify the code so that it sends fewer uinput touch events but it's only theoretical at this point. I don't know C, I don't know uinput, and I don't know Linux drivers! :)

supermoose
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:38 pm

Re: Enabling USB Touch Screen - How?

Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:32 pm

klricks wrote:
supermoose wrote:Is there any large touchscreen (24 inch) that can be connected to Raspberry Pi 2?
I have Hannspree H231 (23") touch (USB) monitor which works with my RPi (Raspbian Wheezy). The screen is 10pt touch but only seems to act as a limited single point mouse mode on the RPi. The mouse pointer moves to where you touch the screen, then you double tap to open an icon or menu item.... nothing else.
It's been some time since I tried it so there many be some improvements?
Wow, Klricks, thank you for your reply. Finally someone replied me:). So did anyone try to do a presentation (PPT) with Raspberry? Why youtube has no one shows a video to do ppt with Raspberry? Will it lag or be slow?

klricks
Posts: 6375
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:01 am
Location: Grants Pass, OR, USA
Contact: Website

Re: Enabling USB Touch Screen - How?

Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:42 am

supermoose wrote:
klricks wrote:
supermoose wrote:Is there any large touchscreen (24 inch) that can be connected to Raspberry Pi 2?
I have Hannspree H231 (23") touch (USB) monitor which works with my RPi (Raspbian Wheezy). The screen is 10pt touch but only seems to act as a limited single point mouse mode on the RPi. The mouse pointer moves to where you touch the screen, then you double tap to open an icon or menu item.... nothing else.
It's been some time since I tried it so there may be some improvements?
Wow, Klricks, thank you for your reply. Finally someone replied me:). So did anyone try to do a presentation (PPT) with Raspberry? Why youtube has no one shows a video to do ppt with Raspberry? Will it lag or be slow?
I think most people would not want to buy a large touchscreen monitor just for a RPi so not many reply. I use my monitor for Windows 10 but hardly use the touch for that. I only connected my RPi temporarily to try it.

I just tried again, this time using the latest Raspbian Jessie. The touch functions are similar to what I described above.... Single touch 'mouse mode' only.
Just noticed the calibration is off. Good at the center of the screen but not accurate around the parameter of the screen. Don't know how to calibrate it?

For PowerPoint presentations you would need to use LibreOffice Impress. Haven't tried it myself.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Stretch w/ Desktop OS.

lsegalla
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:28 pm

Re: Enabling USB Touch Screen - How?

Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:19 am

Correct me, if I'm wrong, but your device seems to be one of these...
http://www.waveshare.com/wiki/Main_Page

I have one, and I'm getting the same string with lsusb command (but mine is a different model from yours).
I still have problems with mine when I use the backlight on (so I can't use it, but I have another open thread).

However in the link I've just posted here you should find informations to make it work...
There's also an official site, completely in chinese, I don't get a single word from that...
But when I opened the box I saw that there where complete instructions on the back of a sheet, and they was based on simple editing of the /boot/config.txt (but they are missing something, because I'm not able to get my touch full working with the backlight)

lsegalla
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:28 pm

Re: Enabling USB Touch Screen - How?

Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:37 am

By the way, I'm planning to contact them, to see if they can give me some useful informations.
Here there's their contacts:
Image
Our working time:
09:00-18:00 (Monday to Saturday)
(sales) [email protected]
(after-sales) [email protected]
(complaint) [email protected]
(apply for distributor) [email protected]

Skype: wvshare

Tel: 86-755-82807524
Fax: 86-755-83042572

Address: Waveshare Electronics
Rm 813, Dynamic World Building
Zhenhua Rd, Futian District
Shenzhen, China

Return to “General discussion”