NL98

Coin-Operated Arcade Machine Project

Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:36 am

Recently my Engineering teacher bought several Raspberry Pi 2's because he was interested in using them in class. He gave me and several other seniors some to play with during the summer and asked us to try and create something with them. He offered to fund whatever we wanted to make as long as it benefited the class somehow. As well he offered to let us keep the project after graduation if we recorded the entire process of creating it so he could recreate it.

My first idea was a coin-operated arcade machine that could be used as a fundraising project, and after some discussion he loved the idea and agreed. The past week I have been doing plenty of research on the topic and have discovered several designs however many don't have everything that we need/want. One of the biggest problems is finding an emulator that works with a coin slot. I have played around with Retropie and MAME so far. Retropie is very nice and would work if there was a way to restrict access to games based on the amount of credits imputed. I know MAME can register coin input, however not the way i would like.

Feature List:
  • Needs to Offer a multitude of games
  • Needs to be coin operated so different games cost different amounts
  • Needs to be able to be disabled with a key (He would like to be able to turn lock it during class but leave it on)
  • Would like to have games from multiple consoles and maybe a way to plug in different controllers
I have found a lot of the parts and hardware I will need, the largest problem for me is the software side of it. My question would be if anyone has any advice or can offer me any help or ideas to get this working.

welshy

Re: Coin-Operated Arcade Machine Project

Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:02 am

NL98
Welcome to the Forum! Multiple System Emulation is easily achievable, many SD Card Images include Arcade, Console and even Retro Computer Emulation, a coin Mech is a different matter though. Many Cab builders include these in their Projects, most use the IPAC interface for Coin Mech/Joysticks/Buttons etc.

See Here - http://www.retroblast.com/articles/token-convert.html

IPAC - https://www.ultimarc.com/ipac1.html

Also, search here at the Forum, plenty of users have built Table Top or Full Cabs using the Pi. You Tube can also be a good source for research as many have uploaded Build Logs with all the information required, sourcing Hardware/Software/Cabinets etc.

Additionally check the Emulation on the Raspberry Pi&Pi2 Thread for all your Emulation needs!

Link - viewtopic.php?f=78&t=54357

Good Luck with the Project!
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

NL98

Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:45 am

Thanks for the reply

You confirmed a lot of what I learned. I have already been looking at the I-PAC for it, however i still have the problem of what emulator to use.

We would like to be able to view a list of available games ranging from NES games to actual arcade games, and once you have inputted enough credits you can run the game for a certain amount of time. So I could put in 2 tokens and play Castlevania for 10 minutes and then it would pause and make you either input more credits or exit to the main menu.

After looking through the list you sent I can't find any similar to what we are looking for. Another question would be could i go about changing one of them, such as Retro-Pie, so that it had something similar to what we are looking for. What would be required and would it be extremely complicated?

welshy

Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:54 am

NL98
You dont have to use one of the SD Card Images, its not difficult to either -

1. Compile your own Emulators for use from Source Code (if its a School Project this route would probably gain extra marks!)
2. Use Pre Compiled Binaries

Then combine them with a Front End either Emulation Station (which many of the SD Card Images use) or AdvanceMENU (my personal preference when making my own Emulation Images for the Pi), I have included Links in the Thread for 1&2 above. Obviously for Time Duration etc you may have to write your own Software for use with the interface.

PS If you look at the Thread two below this one there is a discussion on IPAC wiring!

NL98

Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:21 am

welshy wrote:NL98
You dont have to use one of the SD Card Images, its not difficult to either -

1. Compile your own Emulators for use from Source Code (if its a School Project this route would probably gain extra marks!)
2. Use Pre Compiled Binaries

Then combine them with a Front End either Emulation Station (which many of the SD Card Images use) or AdvanceMENU (my personal preference when making my own Emulation Images for the Pi), I have included Links in the Thread for 1&2 above. Obviously for Time Duration etc you may have to write your own Software for use with the interface.

PS If you look at the Thread two below this one there is a discussion on IPAC wiring!
I'm new to Linux so this just seems so foreign to me. Any suggestion on where to start with doing this?

welshy

Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:27 am

NL98
The Emulation on the Raspberry Pi&Pi2 Thread is structured as such

Download from the Repos
Download from the PiStore
SD Card Images
The MagPi Articles
Ready to run Binaries
Compile from Source Code

Check the bottom two, the Compile from Source Code has Links to Threads and Articles on how to Compile and run your own Binaires, even RetroArch on which many of the SD Card Images are based. There should also be a link in The MagPi section to my Article on Retro Arcade games and Emulation which includes instructions on how to Compile, Set Up and run AdvanceMAME which is more detailed than the original I posted here in the Compile from Source Code Section. There is also a Guide for the AdvanceMENU Front End. Feel free to ask for advice on anything that your having issues with, Good Luck!

piercery

Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:22 pm

Hey NL98 Did you ever figure this out? This is exactly what I am wanting to do!

Return to “Gaming”