andrum99

Question about redistribution of raspbian based system

Wed May 27, 2015 8:38 pm

I am looking to release an image of one of my Raspberry Pi's to the public. The system is based on raspbian but I have customised it to perform a specific task. I have removed Oracle's version of Java, substituting openjdk since I need Java in the image. I have also removed wolfram. My question is: is there anything else I need to remove to avoid breaking any licence restrictions on redistribution?

W. H. Heydt

Re: Question about redistribution of raspbian based system

Wed May 27, 2015 9:13 pm

Read the GPL. Adhere to it. Check for any packages that don't use GPL and read the relevant licenses. Just off the top of my head..you may need to remove Minecraft as well.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu May 28, 2015 8:47 am

It might be better to start off with a very minimal system, then add what you need rather than starting with the standard and removing, as there is a LOT of stuff in the standard image that you will need to check the licences on.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

ame

Thu May 28, 2015 9:01 am

Perhaps you could release your stuff as a script. Tell the customer to acquire the Pi and Raspbian from somewhere then your script runs and downloads stuff and reconfigures stuff to set everything up.

andrum99

Thu May 28, 2015 11:53 am

ame wrote:Perhaps you could release your stuff as a script. Tell the customer to acquire the Pi and Raspbian from somewhere then your script runs and downloads stuff and reconfigures stuff to set everything up.
I will be doing that as well, but I like the idea of releasing my own software bundle.

Return to “General discussion”