Justintime

No sound (solved)

Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:02 pm

I have no sound over hdmi or audio jack. I have tried to edit the sudo nano /boot/config.txt as seen in other posts but it makes no difference. I have noticed that people have said "add hdmi_drive=1 to the bottom of the config file". There is nothing else showing in my config file. Any suggestions?

rocketero

Re: No sound

Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:16 am

Same here, NO audio. I have plugged a regular stereo speaker (only 1 green plug) into PI audio port and nothing is coming out. Also I used a single 3.5mm cable to connect PI to audio input in LCD HDTV and still not audio, NO audio also from HDMI cable connection.

I am trying to find the device setting (GUI) but there is none, so I'll see if installing Gnome Device Manager will help to solve the issue.

Any recommendation/s or light into this issue is appreciated.

In another note, I tried using a USB Wireless Adapter to see if I cold get connected to LAN but the adapter doesn't work (it doesn't even light up the tiny light bulb inside)

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:14 am

rocketero

Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:34 pm

@dom
man thank for that link, it definitelly did the work to fix my hdmi audio.

I'll post here just the part of sound on that page:
"Sound does not work with an HDMI monitor

This is caused by some computer monitors which select DVI mode even if an HDMI cable is connected. This fix may be necessary even if other HDMI devices work perfectly on the same monitor (or TV)!
Edit the configuration file - see the instructions at R-Pi_ConfigurationFile.
Add the following line to the configuration file:
sudo nano /boot/config.txt (this will create the file config.txt as it didn't exist in my pi /boot folder)
then I added the following line:

hdmi_drive=2

This will force it to select HDMI mode
Sound does not work at all, or in some applications

In Debin Squeeze, sound is disabled by default because the ALSA sound driver is still "alpha" (not fully tested) on the R-Pi. To try out sound, from the command prompt before "startx", type

sudo apt-get install alsa-utils
sudo modprobe snd_bcm2835

(when I issued the command to install alsa utils it installed them so they were not installed by the PI).

On Debian Wheezy, snd_bm2835 is enabled, by default, do that step is not necessary. Next try:

sudo aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav

(and voila!, I got sound!!)

By default output will be automatic (hdmi if hdmi supports audio, otherwise analogue). You can force it with:

sudo amixer cset numid=3 <n>

where n is 0=auto, 1=headphones, 2=hdmi.

If you are running Debian, try

cd /opt/vc/src/hello_pi/hello_audio
make
./hello_audio.bin

to test analogue output. And

./hello_audio.bin 1

to test HDMI."

Matt The Insane

Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:43 pm

I'm sort of in the same boat. I can get the ./hello_audio.bin 1 command to make a sound via my HDMI, but no sound in the GUI - internet pages are silent, can't find any mixer app... I'm sure I must be missing something obvious, but obviously don't know what. Do I have to apt-get install Xwindows_magic_sound_fixy_thingy ??

Justintime

Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:20 pm

The
sudo apt-get install alsa-utils
sudo modprobe snd_bcm2835

stuff worked for me but do i have to type all that in each time before i boot?

rocketero

Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:29 am

@mattheinsane, did you try to open the sound file that opens with the "Music Player" app and got sound or not? mine did got sound and I played an MP3 file and also got sound.

@justintime, those commands should be sticky, no need to repeat them every time you boot.

Matt The Insane

Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:08 am

There's no sound file with the Music Player on the Wheezy install that I can see. I've tried opening a few different files - WAV, MP3, no sound at all.

I've done alsa-utils and snd_bcm2835 - until I'd done that I couldn't get anything at all. It's as if there's some vital part of X missing that enables it to communicate with the sound system.

rocketero

Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:32 pm

@justintime was right, after rebooting the sound is lost. there is not /etc/module folder to add a module in it so at this time I'm back to square one, trying to figure out how fix it.

Justintime

Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:36 pm

Issue 3 of MagPi tells you what to do to to make sound work each time you boot. With Squeeze at least.... don't know about Wheezy.

PaulCheffus

Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:14 pm

Justintime wrote:Issue 3 of MagPi tells you what to do to to make sound work each time you boot. With Squeeze at least.... don't know about Wheezy.
Hi

Unfortunately everything I have tried with Wheezy has failed to get sound working through the TV using aplay. I have decided for now to wait for the Raspbian release and see if it works there.

hello_audio.bin 1 works and after making the change here http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... tch#p82680 I get sound in Scratch.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

rocketero

Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:24 pm

silly me, it was very easy to make the command 'sudo modprobe snd_bcm2835' sticky at boot time.

What happened was I thought /etc/modules was a folder, but it's not, it's a file, so what I did now was just editing this file:

Code: Select all

sudo nano /etc/modules
and added at the bottom in one empty line just the name of the module (snd_bcm2835), so it can start at boot-time.

snd_bcm2835

save the /etc/modules file and reboot.
then the sound was there present when I tested with:

Code: Select all

sudo aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Right.wav
After that I opened "Music Player" and the 'silence' file that is there after installation also played through the LCD HDTV speakers.

Return to “Troubleshooting”