haxr3

Just realised no GPIO pins. Help

Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:48 pm

I only just realised the retail board wont have pins to make it easy to plug things in. How on earth would I go about soldering that connector on, seems impossible for me. Any easier/simpler options out there? I hope so its just so annoying they left off a connector that costs 50p in singles, would have been nothing in bulk!

Im too dangerous with a soldering iron to trust myself anywhere near a Pi, I brutalised a RC car just replacing the aerial on a breadboard so bad that I killed it. Help.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Just realised no GPIO pins. Help

Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:52 pm

You realized wrong, all R-Pi boards come with pinheader pins for the GPIO.
Also there is no specific "retail" version of the R-Pi.

haxr3

Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:59 pm

Oh good, misleading wiki here http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Raspberry_Pi.

So there are pins coming out of the boards on the Model B? Thanks =]

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:23 pm

There weren't supposed to be. When the foundation were trying to get it manufactured in the UK the pins were taken off to reduce cost. Having decided that was a non-starter they put it out for quote to Chinese companies and forgot to remove the pins from the bill of materials. Since the quotes came in within budget they did not bother removing them. A fortunate oversight. That is why you will find references to them not being there.

Return to “Interfacing (DSI, CSI, I2C, etc.)”