kriss

codecs

Fri May 01, 2015 10:39 am

hi
before to bought a RPI2 i was thinking to implement codecs in my bare-metal-vm
but i think now that to better sell codecs the hardware parts they use can be disabled while not using linux and not buying the licenses ...
so my stupid question is to know if when i buy some PI does it fully work ?
or did i found a way more to put myself in a racket where i have to use linux and nothing else to have everything working ???

ghans

Re: codecs

Fri May 01, 2015 2:27 pm

I think you are overthinking it. HW acceleration is mostly hard for bare-metalers because the BLOB API is only "documented" as sourcecode
and code reuse is nearly impossible without (re ?!) writing an unixoid OS on which it may run on.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

kriss

Fri May 01, 2015 6:40 pm

thanks ghans
an os and specially *n*x is to much layer for bare-metal
i plane only one layer
so i have "just" to disasm mesa ;)

ghans

Sat May 02, 2015 8:02 am

omxplayer and the OpenMAX libraries are open-source , but still rely on support in the kernel to communicate with the GPU so far i know.

ghans
Last edited by ghans on Sat May 02, 2015 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

kriss

Sat May 02, 2015 9:40 am

mesa is open-source too ;)
i will disasm a lot cause to port to my vm will be overkill if i spend too much effort to understand the lib/software in the source
it should take me more than one life to learn all languages and to port even all of gnu ;)

Return to “Bare metal, Assembly language”