TonisJ

Accessing Raspistill

Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:15 pm

Hey,

I have a small problem with my camera module as I cannot activate it through terminal with a command

Code: Select all

raspistill -o output.jpg
I get the error: bash: raspistill: command not found

However, it works perfectly when I give the address where I found the command:

Code: Select all

sudo /opt/vc/bin/raspistill -o output.jpg
I am not sure whether it influences anything at all? I have Ubuntu 14.10 / Linaro 15.01 installed following the tutorial found here:
http://www.techrepublic.com/article/how ... erry-pi-2/

I am trying to install RaspiCam for OpenCV and have some linking error and was just wondering if these could be related that it is not able to connect to the camera?

Thanks!

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Accessing Raspistill

Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:59 pm

That distro clearly isn't setting up the path to include the directory with the raspistill binary in it. It's not a supported distro, so out of the Foundations control.

You can set it up manually, google should show you how.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

TonisJ

Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:43 pm

Thanks, I googled the topic but couldn't get any good results. I'm quite new to Ubuntu and Pi, found this distribution as it was told to be a fast one, didn't realize that it is such a problem to get the camera working.

I tried adding the path to /etc/ld.so.conf.d/ file libc.conf, but it didn't work. Could you point me in the correct direction?

jamesh

Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:50 pm

I'd suggest moving to Raspbian - it will all work out of the box, and claims that Ubuntu is faster have yet to be verified. In tests I have seen speeds are pretty similar between all the distro's.

And of course, Raspbian is fuly supported, and most people on here are using it so there is more chance of help.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

Return to “Camera board”