BobAGI

Using the Pi in commercial projects?

Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:16 pm

Am I allowed to use the Pi in a commercial product?
Say I have a product that is lacking a GUI front, could I then embed the Pi and hook up a monitor to it with suitable programming to display what I need and then sell the product?
Is there a limitation to commercial usage?

piglet

Re: Using the Pi in commercial projects?

Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:18 pm

Yes. No restrictions other than in the FAQ to do with names.

*edit* I mean trademark page: http://www.raspberrypi.org/trademark-rules

BobAGI

Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:38 pm

So if I "only" embed the Pi inside my product to supply the display function (and disk storage of data) but with no reference at all to there being a Raspberry Pi board inside then i am good to go?

bobc

Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:33 pm

Sure.

Gert van Loo

Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:50 pm

You can still say that there is a Raspberry-Pi inside, just like you can say that there is an ARM inside.
Don't use the logo or in any other way suggest (let alone say) that you are related or approved by them.
Section 4.II clearly states:
Your use of the Raspberry Pi Marks must also comply with the following rules:

(i) Any use of the Raspberry Pi Marks must be accompanied by the acknowledgement “Raspberry Pi is a trademark of the Raspberry Pi Foundation”.

(ii) Where you are using the Raspberry Pi Word Mark to state or indicate that another product is compatible with, works with or can be used with our products, you must use it with a referential phrase such as “runs on,” “for use with,” “for,” or “compatible with”.
So you can say "contains".

I suggest that if you make modifications to your PI you also clearly states that, just in case your modifications cause trouble which may produce a negative image (Also in the Trademark rules)

CeeJayS

Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:58 pm

Hi Bob,
Have you considered the EMC compliance you would need for a commercial product, and other regularatory requirements?
As you're 'embedding' the all the hardware it highly likely you would need to carry out such testing.

CJS

PiGraham

Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:15 pm

CeeJayS wrote:Hi Bob,
Have you considered the EMC compliance you would need for a commercial product, and other regularatory requirements?
As you're 'embedding' the all the hardware it highly likely you would need to carry out such testing.

CJS
True enough, but no worse than for some alternatives. At least the board is CE compliant.

drgeoff

Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:18 pm

Don't forget that you also need to consider the software that is running in the device.

CeeJayS

Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:36 pm

PiGraham wrote:
CeeJayS wrote:Hi Bob,

CJS
True enough, but no worse than for some alternatives. At least the board is CE compliant.
In my experience sometimes hardware changes are required (say EMC testing fails), usually at board level, so things could get messy.
It depends on the what you're trying to do and what hardware is added.

CJS

Return to “Advanced users”