tobios

RaspberryCast 0.1 released (Chromecast-like project)

Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:14 pm

Hi all!

Long time lurker here. I would like to share with you a project we started recently with a friend.

We were not satisfied with the current solutions for streaming content to our Raspberry Pi (PiCast doesn’t have an easy-to-use Chrome extension / GUI, Raspflex is quite heavy because it is based on Plex, etc..). At the end of the day, we undertake to develop our own program, based on Python, Bottle, Youtube-dl and omxplayer 8-)

Once the server is installed on your RaspberryPi, you can stream content from any website supported using the Chrome Extension (YouTube, Vimeo, direct URL, catchup tv, ..). Then you can control the media using the extension, or the responsive remote on your mobile device.

All the instructions are available on the GitHub page. We also made short videos to showcase the concept there.
https://github.com/vincent-lwt/RaspberryCast

We're planning to make a PopcornTime-like system (entirely hosted on the Pi), but as today it is still unstable. I also think it would need a Raspberry Pi 2 to run smoothly.

Lastly if you want to contribute, you are welcome.
Hope you will enjoy it ;)

blissland

Re: RaspberryCast 0.1 released (Chromecast-like project)

Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:24 pm

Nice Work :D

This is very similar to my own project:

https://github.com/blissland/blissflixx

Both projects integrate youtube-dl, torrent streaming, omxplayer and wrap it all in a easy to use interface.
We're planning to make a PopcornTime-like system (entirely hosted on the Pi), but as today it is still unstable. I also think it would need a Raspberry Pi 2 to run smoothly.
I have torrent streaming (via peerflix) working fine on a Model B - so you don't need a Pi 2.

Good luck with your project,

Rob

tobios

Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:43 pm

Wow, good work too ! :D

Are you using a specific API for the Youtube movies/documentaries or have you developed your own system ?
I have torrent streaming (via peerflix) working fine on a Model B - so you don't need a Pi 2.
Good news ! Have you tried with 1080p without overclocking ?

blissland

Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:02 pm

>>Are you using a specific API for the Youtube movies/documentaries or have you developed your own system ?

I scrape data from subreddits ;)

http://www.reddit.com/r/fullmoviesonyoutube
http://www.reddit.com/r/Documentaries

>>Good news ! Have you tried with 1080p without overclocking ?

No. I have quite an old TV so never tried playing 1080p.

Cheers,

0fftime

Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:00 pm

I just saw this and it's amazing! I've been looking for something like this for such a long time! Just being able stream to my pi with the chromecast extension! However i still would like to keep my kodi running on the pi, you wouldn't happen to know anyway to integrate the chromecast-functionallity with kodi?

tobios

Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:41 pm

Thank's ! Could be useful in the future.
I just saw this and it's amazing! I've been looking for something like this for such a long time!
Thank you :)
Just being able stream to my pi with the chromecast extension!
This doesn't work with the original Google chomecast extension ;) . We developed our own extension because it doesn't use the same protocol as the Google's one (which is for now pretty hard to use).
However i still would like to keep my kodi running on the pi, you wouldn't happen to know anyway to integrate the chromecast-functionallity with kodi?
Well, if your Kodi run on a Raspbian-derived distribution (Raspbmc ?), I think it could works, just make sure that omxplayer and wget are installed.

hydra3333

Fri May 08, 2015 11:43 pm

Nice. Not sure if this of use to you, anyway here's a bare bones approach which only requires chrome browser beta on the phone/tablet rather than an app.

viewtopic.php?p=694676#p694676

The Pi2 is just a web server streaming well-formed MP4s over to a ChromeCast device connected to a TVs (upon initiation from a web page on the Pi2 which is displayed in the chrome browser on an android tablet or phone on your LAN).

tobios

Thu May 14, 2015 3:14 pm

Thank you !
However, the goal here is to use the Raspberry Pi as a replacement for the Chromecast.
But your approach can always be useful ;)

T-Jay

Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:57 pm

Hi,
I am trying to watch Vimeo videos behind a pay wall (realised by a cookie), is there a way to do this with your tool?

notadrummeranymore

Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:09 pm

This is great! Just installed this on top of Volumio. Just had a few setbacks during installation, since Volumio doesn't use the pi user by default, but i'm now up and running.
I've been looking for a simple solution like this for some time now.

Keep up the great work.
Do you think it will be possible to enable subtitles (at least on youtube videos) in the future?

Cheers!

tobios

Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:41 pm

Hi guys,
Sorry for the late answer.
T-Jay wrote:Hi,
I am trying to watch Vimeo videos behind a pay wall (realised by a cookie), is there a way to do this with your tool?
I'm sorry I don't understand you situation. What are you calling a pay wall ? A system that blocks Vimeo if you don't pay ?
notadrummeranymore wrote: This is great! Just installed this on top of Volumio. Just had a few setbacks during installation, since Volumio doesn't use the pi user by default, but i'm now up and running.

Keep up the great work.
Do you think it will be possible to enable subtitles (at least on youtube videos) in the future?
I'm glad it works for you :) !
For now the developement is paused (lack of time) but since youtube-dl supports subtitles, it shouldn't be too hard too implement this feature. I'm thinking at an option for automatically downloading subtitles in your lang if they are available. What do you think ?

notadrummeranymore

Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:02 am

That would be great. The user could choose which language to download. Good luck with the project! I've been using it almost everyday.

Konek

Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:52 am

Awesome project. Works nicely :)

I watched some youtube video and it seem the screen is cut off from all sides. Is this youtube issue?
Pi is calibrated to 1080p and done it multiple time but still being cut off.

notadrummeranymore

Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:32 pm

Make sure you have "disable_overscan=1" in your boot/config.txt

tobios

Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:30 am

Thank's :)

As notadrummeranymore said, uncommenting disable_overscan = 1 should do the trick.

For more details : http://www.opentechguides.com/how-to/ar ... tting.html

sj_Rpi

Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:49 pm

Can someone tell me why I no longer can ssh, vnc or view my rpi cam on any of their ports anymore after installing this? Couldn't even get the cast to work, all I get is a screen saying it's ready. Browser and android app both not responding.

Trigo

Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:09 pm

Does it have time line? It's time limited? Does it support xbmc?

ano

Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:26 pm

notadrummeranymore wrote:This is great! Just installed this on top of Volumio. Just had a few setbacks during installation, since Volumio doesn't use the pi user by default, but i'm now up and running.
Hi,

Is it possible to know the setbacks that you've made ?
I have been looking for installing PiCast but couldn't succeed...

Best,
Ano

fruitoftheloom

Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:11 pm

ano wrote:
notadrummeranymore wrote:This is great! Just installed this on top of Volumio. Just had a few setbacks during installation, since Volumio doesn't use the pi user by default, but i'm now up and running.
Hi,

Best,
Ano
This post is ancient, so do not know what you are trying but the OP was running Raspbian Wheezy:

RaspberryCast 3 was released last year: https://github.com/vincelwt/RaspberryCast

..whilst PiCast3 was released nearly a year ago: https://github.com/lanceseidman/PiCAST
Retired disgracefully.....

notadrummeranymore

Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:49 pm

ano wrote:
Hi,

Best,
Ano
I'm still using RaspberryCast, never used PiCast. I'm still on Volumio 1.55, not on the most recent version.
I'm now on Debian Jessie. I basically installed vanilla Debian Jessie, installed Volumio on top (google for Volumio on Pibang and follow the relevant parts). Then i installed RaspberryCast normally.

ano

Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:41 pm

Hi,

Thanks for your precisions.
I will try that soon. I encounter trouble using the Volumio distribution because of the libraries being very specific.
That's very interesting!

Ano

Jayden_Nelson

Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:37 am

Can RaspberryCast 0.1 supports to stream iTunes M4V movies directly? As I know, Chromecast only supports the videos from YouTube, Hulu, NetFlix and so on, not iTunes. In order to stream iTunes movies, we have to use an iTunes video converter to remove DRM. That is really a big annoyance.

Return to “Media centres”