spamel

Bird Box ambitions

Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:34 pm

Let's just say I am a total noob and my RasPi has lingered for far too long on a shelf waiting for a project. Let's also say I have a USB camera and appropriate equipment to set up as a standalone , off grid powered camera. The big question is how do I go about it!

I live on a narrowboat so the setup will need to be wireless and I have a wifi dongle for the setup, but I am considering how I would go about this. Do I just need to get an old router that isn't being used anymore and use that to recieve on the boat, which will then write to a hard drive via a second RasPi? I don't want it connecting to the internet as mobile broadband just isn't feasible for that. And finally, the big question is, is there a prewritten programme that I can use as learning to actually code a programme is beyond my capabilities right now!

Any help is greatly appreciated, and it's good to be back to the forum for the first tine in a ling time!

cpc464

Re: Bird Box ambitions

Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:10 pm

Well you connect the camera to the Pi, install some software (such as motion). The Pi will then take pictures and store them on its internal SD card. You can then view these by logging into the Pi. I am not sure how you will be powering the Pi and a screen/keyboard on the boat.

In order to install the software, you will need an internet connection.
Unix engineer since 1989

Return to “Networking and servers”