Paulix96

Windows XP on RPi2 for just one app

Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:27 am

Hello everyone!

I'm IT Admin at my school. This summer holiday I want to replace old Pentium 4-era computer with new machines. But the price is at the first place for school.

I have Raspberry Pi 2 and I want to run one specific app for writing with all ten fingers. Hardware requirements are low, it runs also on Windows 95, but we don't have W95 licences.

We have a lot of Windows XP licences. So I thought I would reduce Windows XP instalation to it's minimum. I can work with msconfig, nLite etc. programs. But it is possible?

Btw. here is da app

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Windows XP on RPi2 for just one app

Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:34 am

No, I don't think this will be possible and usable. Windows apps don't run on the Pi (there are some very convoluted ways of making it happen but its very very very slow).

I presume this is a touch typing tutor? There may be Linux options available, or approach the manufacturers and ask why they don't have a Linux and/or Pi version!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Paulix96

Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:39 am

Yep, it is a typing tutor.

There are alternatives for Linux, but they don't support Czech language. This is very important.

mhelin

Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:17 am

If you cannot afford buying new Windows workstations check those Win 8.1 Intel Atom Mini PC's/Set Top Boxes (STB) first. For an example Pipo X7:

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product ... 67112.html
http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/H ... 33472.html
http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/W ... 52945.html

This one is upgradeable with Windows 10:
http://www.dailytech.com/Windows+81++An ... e36746.htm

However, these should be really tested well before getting them for the whole class. Also the support and return policy with the Chinese supplier might varies a lot. For me the Pipo X7 is looking like the safest buy. There are lot's of reviews of it, like this: http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac ... 773/review

Check also this review: http://www.techradar.com/news/computing ... or-1281464
http://www.techradar.com/news/computing ... um-1279656

Guess there are lost of alternatives (google for "mini pc intel" or "mini pc win 8"). These can also be interfaced with Pi using USB or network.
Last edited by mhelin on Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:38 am, edited 3 times in total.

fruit-uk

Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:29 am

gtypist no good? I think it supports Czech language

user007

Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:00 pm

Paulix96 wrote:Hello everyone!

I'm IT Admin at my school. This summer holiday I want to replace old Pentium 4-era computer with new machines. But the price is at the first place for school.

Btw. here is da app
Windows XP has no support anymore from Microsoft (except for some paid customers).
However Intel Pentium 4 computers may still be used successfully with Linux OS - for example Mint Linux OS runs well on old Pentium 4 based computers and even significantly faster than Windows XP (for example HD video is much better). You may start Mint Linux OS just from USB stick. The Mint Linux desktop is good and very similar to Windows, there is a multilingual support (Mate edition has Czech language support http://www.linuxmint.com/documentation/ ... h_10.0.pdf, you may add languages to the other editions too) and you may run any Open Office application. One advantage is that Microsoft Skype and Google Hangouts as well Adobe flash, Java scripts are fully supported on Intel architecture based Linux OS. Unfortunately we may need to wait long time for Windows 10 version on RPI2.
Last edited by user007 on Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Joe Schmoe

Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:10 pm

Windows XP has no support anymore from Microsoft (except for some paid customers).
People keep saying this as if it matters.

Let me just point out two things:
  1. Your Windows XP (and mine as well) continues to work just fine - in fact, working much better than all the copies of Vista/Win7/Win8/etc, etc. It's not as if MS pushes a button on their big control panel and all the running copies of XP in the world suddenly stop working. Although, to be fair, that probably *is* the model of the future - where your OS is on a subscription basis, not a "buy" basis - and when MS decides that they don't want you using it anymore, they do, in fact, push a button, and Boom! There goes your OS! But that is *not* the case with XP.
  2. Very funny and ironic that right after stating that Windows XP is no longer "supported", you go on to recommend Linux, an OS that isn't supported at all. Now, don't get me wrong, that's the charm and beauty of Linux - that it isn't supported and yet more or less works without any support. I love it for that. But still the irony is sweet.
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

Seabug

Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:42 pm

Joe Schmoe wrote:
[*] Very funny and ironic that right after stating that Windows XP is no longer "supported", you go on to recommend Linux, an OS that isn't supported at all. Now, don't get me wrong, that's the charm and beauty of Linux - that it isn't supported and yet more or less works without any support. I love it for that. But still the irony is sweet.[/list]
But you have the chance, to fix it by yourself ;-)

However, Paulix96 could consider to run his WinXP under QEMU.

Steffen

rpdom

Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:47 pm

Joe Schmoe wrote:Your Windows XP (and mine as well) continues to work just fine - in fact, working much better than all the copies of Vista/Win7/Win8/etc, etc. It's not as if MS pushes a button on their big control panel and all the running copies of XP in the world suddenly stop working. Although, to be fair, that probably *is* the model of the future - where your OS is on a subscription basis, not a "buy" basis - and when MS decides that they don't want you using it anymore, they do, in fact, push a button, and Boom! There goes your OS! But that is *not* the case with XP.
This is not the point. What happens if one of those nasty viruses comes out that affects WinXP? It could bite you and Microsoft won't be releasing any fixes for it.
Very funny and ironic that right after stating that Windows XP is no longer "supported", you go on to recommend Linux, an OS that isn't supported at all. Now, don't get me wrong, that's the charm and beauty of Linux - that it isn't supported and yet more or less works without any support.
Oh, but it *is* supported in that there are constant updates (as long as you are using a supported release). See above about viruses and stuff.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:06 pm

Yeah, the only importance about WinXP not being supported is that new exploits (virus/trojans) etc are not being solved by Microsoft, that makes it so dangerous to keep using XP for critical applications.
Contrarily well supported Linux distros like Ubuntu (Debian, red-hat etc etc ) keep getting security updates though apt-get update.

By the way, its a bit silly to ask for XP "for just one app". XP is just to monolithic to be partially implemented, and then only Microsoft could. Its all or nothing. even for emulation purposes.
Also, if you can get by with WIN95, its much easier to emulate!

user007

Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:32 pm

Joe Schmoe wrote:
People keep saying this as if it matters.

Let me just point out two things:
  1. Your Windows XP (and mine as well) continues to work just fine - in fact, working much better than all the copies of Vista/Win7/Win8/etc, etc. It's not as if MS pushes a button on their big control panel and all the running copies of XP in the world suddenly stop working. Although, to be fair, that probably *is* the model of the future - where your OS is on a subscription basis, not a "buy" basis - and when MS decides that they don't want you using it anymore, they do, in fact, push a button, and Boom! There goes your OS! But that is *not* the case with XP.
  2. Very funny and ironic that right after stating that Windows XP is no longer "supported", you go on to recommend Linux, an OS that isn't supported at all. Now, don't get me wrong, that's the charm and beauty of Linux - that it isn't supported and yet more or less works without any support. I love it for that. But still the irony is sweet.
1) I don't understand why is necessary to fight with Microsoft - yes, Microsoft states that Windows XP is not supported anymore from April 2014 and in case you use it there are significant security risks. This Microsoft message runs every time you start Windows XP and denying it is not an option.
2) It is about using old computers in education and Microsoft software is coming with paid license. They may don't have budget for new MIcrosoft software licenses and new Microsoft Windows versions will not run on old Pentium 4 computers.
3) Linux is indeed supported - it is not funny or ironic at all! You may use free enterprise version of CentOS or you may use the same supported RedHat enterprise version. Mint Linux is Debian based Linux version and it is indeed supported - you receive regularly security and other updates.
4) In case you have different ideas - please share your ideas with the owner ot this post - fighting with other opinions is not an option in this forum.

Joe Schmoe

Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:56 pm

I stand by what I wrote.

You all are just spouting the party line.

My last post on the subject.
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

jamesh

Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:07 pm

How prescient.

In future all WIndows vs Linux arguments are going to get short shrift from me. I'm a Linux user, but I really don't see why MS get al the grief it does. So expect posts on the subject to be deleted with no warning.

In answer to the OP, no, XP doesn't run on the Pi - try the suggestions above.

Locking.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Return to “Raspbian”