Gomoto

OpenGL not working on Pi 3

Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:26 pm

Raspbian image 2016-03-18

experimental opengl driver enabled

Raspberry 2 -> desktop is working

Raspberry 3 -> booting, no desktop (black screen)

Any hints?

Thank you!
Last edited by Gomoto on Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PeterO

Re: OpenGL not working on Pi 3

Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:30 pm

I was running openGL on a PI3 yesterday , so it's not a universal problem. How did you enable the openGL support ?

PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

Gomoto

Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:35 pm

I used raspi-config to enable the driver.

I booted several times successfull my Pi 2.
But on the Pi 3 i get the black screen every time.

skspurling

Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:43 pm

I was having a similar issue. I thought Gl was running, but I noticed the frame rate was bad. Remembered to use raspi-config to activate openGL. Once I did that and rebooted, it started having power supply issues. Okay, get the better power supply and cable. Once i got it to power up, it was about the same as the OP described. Had to remove the sd and edit the config.txt to remove the openGL driver. Now it's back to normal, but no GL.

Gomoto

Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:52 pm

(official power supply is used)

I testet the previous Raspbian image to the same effect.
No desktop with opengl driver enabled on Pi 3.

PeterO

Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:01 pm

Are yiu using a fresh Jessie installed on the SDcard ?
PeterO
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

Gomoto

Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:33 pm

Both images are fresh.

Gomoto

Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:25 am

Thanks for your hints.

It is a local problem related to my Samsung UHD monitor.

The Pi3 is working with the opengl driver on another display. I can even switch the cable to the UHD monitor while the Pi3 is running. Funny that the Pi2 is just working fine with opengl and the Samsung UHD monitor without any tinkering and the Pi3 has this strange problem.

jedie

Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:23 am

Same problem here (blank screen)... Really a monitor problem?!?

PeterO

Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:19 am

jedie wrote:Same problem here (blank screen)... Really a monitor problem?!?
Not a problem with the monitor per se, but the openGL driver doesn't seem to be able to configure the video output to as many combinations of resolutions and frame rates as the standard driver, so some monitors fail to produce a display if the video doesn't match a supported resolution and frame rate.

This problem should go away as the driver matures (it is labelled as "experimental" after all).

PeterO

ThePineapple

Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:45 pm

I just saw the post on this. I thought I would include my experience with enabling the OpenGL driver on my RPi3.

I use a fresh install of Jessie and enabled the option via raspi-config.

However, when I did this, I got a blank screen that would only come up when I moved the mouse or typed on the keyboard.

Come to find out, the issue was power related. The power adapter that I used was a 5v 2.1A power adapter. I had bought a new power adapter that was 5v 2.5A and after swapping power, it ran fine.

Not saying this is the same issue, but would be another thing to check.

Taxicletter

Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:07 pm

This helped me to get past the black screen (before, I re-installed Raspbian, because I didn't know else what to do :-) ):
I would recommend you use a clean installation of Noobs while trying out OpenGL software as it allows you to easily edit the Config.txt file and deactivate the drivers if your display goes blank. Just put a # infront of the entry for dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d
It's from here: http://www.raspberryconnect.com/gamesso ... berry_pi_3

In the Raspberry Preferences I also choose 128MB for the GPU. Before I also got the black screen, but now I'm succesfully using the 3D driver all day, without trouble.
--::-- 3 x Raspberry Pi 3 - Kodi - RuneAudio - Google AIY HAT -::-- 1 x Raspberry Pi 4 as desktopcomputer --::--

ric96

Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:30 am

My apologies for shameless YouTube Plugs...
youtube.com/sahajsarup
twitter @sahajsarup
skype srics1996
e-mail: sahajsarup@gmail.com
Blog: http://www.geektillithertz.com/wordpress
Web: http://www.geektillithertz.com

defalkner

Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:15 am

I dont believe it has anything to do with the monitor when it worked fine originally, strictly software since Im within range of my monitors capabilities, but. Everything stopped when I did the rpi-update and got the latest firmware. Rainbow to black then monitor reports no connection. I have a BenQ XL2720Z 144hz gaming monitor that supports an ungodly amount of resolutions and refresh rate combinations. Every monitor group was supported in both group 1 and 2 (the list went off the screen). I just use Group 1 Mode 16 (which is 1080p @ 60hz, I wish I could get 144Hz options on the pi)...

So, I popped the SD card into my PC and checked out the config.txt and after the firmware update it was reset to group1 mode 1. Yay... did it fix it switching back? NOPE. So I am at a loss since Im explicitly stating the monitor group/mode. This only happened after rpi-update. On a side note when it (the Gl driver) was working it would frequently at random intervals bounce from a full screen rainbow then back to normal. Sometimes it would get stuck which I Alt+F2 and relogin to X again. Other times a random small rainbow square in the upper right corner - mainly when watching YouTube or other videos. What does the rainbow represent when flickering on and off randomly? I almost wonder if the GPU isint getting enough voltage. :cry: :cry:

A suggestion rather than reformatting the card is to just pop it in your PC/Mac and '#' the OpenGL driver unless your dead set using the GL driver.

PeterO

Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:28 am

defalkner wrote:A suggestion rather than reformatting the card is to just pop it in your PC/Mac and '#' the OpenGL driver unless your dead set using the GL driver.
Which has been the advice all along. It's not ready for "prime time " yet so it Is labled as "experimental" .

PeterO

drbrown

Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:15 pm

I'm having similar issues on a Pi2.

After using raspi-config to enable the experimental GL driver, the screen blanks sporadically but comes back when I move the mouse. This is using an HDMI display that has otherwise always been rock-solid and the 2A power adaptor that shipped with the Pi.

Luckily I was able to get into raspi-config to disable the driver while the display flickered and reboot to get back to square one.

For fun I tried again using a power supply rated at 2.4A but the display still blanked.

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:18 pm

drbrown wrote:I'm having similar issues on a Pi2.

After using raspi-config to enable the experimental GL driver, the screen blanks sporadically but comes back when I move the mouse. This is using an HDMI display that has otherwise always been rock-solid and the 2A power adaptor that shipped with the Pi.

Luckily I was able to get into raspi-config to disable the driver while the display flickered and reboot to get back to square one.

For fun I tried again using a power supply rated at 2.4A but the display still blanked.
Try another monitor if you can. I had the same issue with an older TV, but worked fine with the family TV in our front room (a newer Sony TV). Not all monitor configurations are supported.
Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

ksharindam

Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:05 pm

I had the same problems.You have to force 3d.
Now I have successfully enabled opengl driver.I use XFCE desktop.
Edit /boot/config.txt and delete the lines that sets hdmi group and hdmi mode and add these lines...

hdmi_force_edid_3d=1
avoid_warnings=2

raidensnake

Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:36 pm

To anyone experiencing problems starting the raspberry pi 3. I recently ran into this issue on my raspberry pi 3. I found out the solution was to install the xserver-xorg-video-fbdev package. You can install it using the following command:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-fbdev (debian/raspbian/ubuntu) Check package name for other branches.
As soon as I installed this and enabled the new GL driver my raspberry pi 3 works without any issues.
I hope this helps people

PeterO

Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:57 pm

raidensnake wrote:To anyone experiencing problems starting the raspberry pi 3. I recently ran into this issue on my raspberry pi 3. I found out the solution was to install the xserver-xorg-video-fbdev package. You can install it using the following command:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-fbdev (debian/raspbian/ubuntu) Check package name for other branches.
As soon as I installed this and enabled the new GL driver my raspberry pi 3 works without any issues.
I hope this helps people
PIXEL releases break the openGL driver. It's a simple matter of disabling something (but off hand I can't remember what) in the boot config (it might be removing "splash" or "quite" ).

PeterO

raidensnake

Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:13 pm

I hate to say this but I tried that before. The pi wouldn't boot.

Return to “Raspberry Pi OS”