Killertechno

Where buy Pi zero?

Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:18 am

Hi guys, I'm still trying to buy my first Pi Zero.
On website distrubutors (Rs, Element14, and so on) Pi is unavailable or shipping costs are too much expensive for a sample.
So:
- is there a place in London where pick up a Pi Zero by hand?
- or, is there a known place/website in USA where buy Pi Zero?

Thanks.

fruitoftheloom

Re: Where buy Pi zero?

Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:29 am

I give up, post deleted, nothing has changed or will change..... :?
Last edited by fruitoftheloom on Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired disgracefully.....
......to an uncomplicated life !

Rather than negativity think outside the box !

RaTTuS

Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:51 am

http://whereismypizero.com/
though the adafruit one is wrong now
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

Killertechno

Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:40 pm

Of course there are OFFICIAL resellers, but as I said Pi Zero is out of stock or shipment is too much expensive (or unavailable for my country).
That's why I asked for pick by hand in London, or inexpensive shipment in USA....

BMS Doug

Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:15 pm

Killertechno wrote:Of course there are OFFICIAL resellers, but as I said Pi Zero is out of stock or shipment is too much expensive (or unavailable for my country).
That's why I asked for pick by hand in London, or inexpensive shipment in USA....
Pimoroni have them in stock, have one delivered to your chosen location in London for £6.50.

Someone said that Pimoroni's shipment rates to the states weren't bad either, cheaper than adafruit they said.

if you can't (or won't) buy from Pimoroni, PiHut or AdaFruit then you won't get one without being gouged on price. Anyone else is simply buying them from those stockists and adding their own markup.

I'll sell you one for £10 if you like, i'll meet you in central London (near Fleet street) (it may take a few days as I would have to buy one and wait for Pimoroni to ship it to me before I have a spare one to sell you).
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

kolban

Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:01 pm

I just ordered one from Pimorono to be shipped to the US ... and yes, for me ... the total cost of the purchase including shipping was less in US dollars than I would have paid from the identical purchase from Adafruit.
FREE book on Raspberry Pi usage and programming

https://leanpub.com/pi

SonOfAMotherlessGoat

Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:11 pm

I have a soft spot for AdaFruit in my cold, calloused heart, and I'm glad that MicroCenter decided to start carrying their products in-store, but they lose a large amount of online sales due to their exorbitant shipping fees. I know LadyAda has stated that shipping isn't a profit center for them, but if that's truly the case then they need to optimize their processes and try to cut back on all that.
Account Inactive

W. H. Heydt

Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:53 pm

Killertechno wrote:Of course there are OFFICIAL resellers, but as I said Pi Zero is out of stock or shipment is too much expensive (or unavailable for my country).
First, you need to watch whereismypizero.com closely to find out when the suppliers have them in stock. In the US, the cheapest source (Pi Zero + shipping) is PiHut (in the UK). I ordered one from Pimoroni yesterday and they have charged GBP8.83, which is GBP3.33 for the Pi Zero and GBP5.50 for shipping. IIRC, the last one I ordered from PiHut was GBP4.00 for the Pi Zero and GBP4.00 for shipping, for a total of GBP8.00 (technically, they should have knocked the VAT off the Pi Zero, as Pimoroni did, since I'm outside the UK). Adafruit gets $5.00 for the Pi Zero and about $9 for the shipping, so about $14.

If the shipping charges stick in your craw, set up a shopping basket with other items you want from a particular supplier (but aren't "rush" items) ahead of time and add a Pi Zero when available to spread the shipping cost across more goods.

stderr

Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:00 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
First, you need to watch whereismypizero.com closely to find out when the suppliers have them in stock.
Note though that as of the last time I looked, the site fails with adafruit always and fails with pimoroni when it has stock in zero bundles but not individual zeros. (Can't check this now because pimoroni is now also out of bundles)

W. H. Heydt

Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:43 pm

stderr wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote:
First, you need to watch whereismypizero.com closely to find out when the suppliers have them in stock.
Note though that as of the last time I looked, the site fails with adafruit always and fails with pimoroni when it has stock in zero bundles but not individual zeros. (Can't check this now because pimoroni is now also out of bundles)
What do you mean by "fail"? So far as I can tell, the site reports Pi Zeros in stock, whether they are bare or in a bundle. This probably means that the site is working as intended.

stderr

Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:11 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:What do you mean by "fail"? So far as I can tell, the site reports Pi Zeros in stock, whether they are bare or in a bundle. This probably means that the site is working as intended.
The site doesn't purport to find pi zero bundles but rather my pi zero. It always said, though, that adafruit had stock, no matter if it has no zeros bundled or not, so that's clearly a fail. But I just checked it, and now it says that adafruit doesn't have stock, which is correct. So perhaps it was updated.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:34 am

Not sure how many time we have to have this exact same thread, with the exact same question and the exact same answers.

I suggest Google.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

Return to “Off topic discussion”