RoundDuckMan

NOOBS 1.9 issues on RPi3

Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:29 pm

After installing Raspbian from NOOBs and using it, after a few boots, when I reboot Raspbian corrupts for no reason, at least so far. I even checked the damn checksum, but this still happens. WTF!? :x

DougieLawson

Re: NOOBS 1.9 issues on RPi3

Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:39 pm

Is it a fake SDCard? Is your power supply too weedy? Is your cable between your power supply and your RPi made of wet string rather than nice thick copper cable?
Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All fake doctors are on my foes list.

Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

RoundDuckMan

Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:49 pm

DougieLawson wrote:Is it a fake SDCard? Is your power supply too weedy? Is your cable between your power supply and your RPi made of wet string rather than nice thick copper cable?
It's the official RPi3 PSU, with 5.1V and 2.5A.

SD card is a regular Lexar Class 10 16GB card. The Pi3 seems to read pretty slowly off of it at times though, but rpi-update fixed the slow boot speeds. And no rpi-update didn't cause the problem because this problem also happened on an install where I didn't use rpi-update.

DougieLawson

Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:54 pm

I'd start with a factory fresh SDCard (from a reputable supplier, not a cheapo one from eBay) and see how you get on.
Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All fake doctors are on my foes list.

Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

RoundDuckMan

Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:03 pm

DougieLawson wrote:I'd start with a factory fresh SDCard (from a reputable supplier, not a cheapo one from eBay) and see how you get on.

Seems this guy is also having a similar issue with 10 Pis. Ask him what kind of SD cards he's using. :/

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=151513

reduino

Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:05 pm

Your image may be broken happened a lot to me try installing a new image

RoundDuckMan

Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:40 pm

reduino wrote:Your image may be broken happened a lot to me try installing a new image

Can't be, I checked the SHA1 hashsum and compared it to the one on the site, and it was exactly the same.

BTW, I used NOOBS lite, does NOOBS have any functions for checking the integrity of the downloaded Raspbian image that it downloads?

B.Goode

Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:51 pm

RoundDuckMan wrote:After installing Raspbian from NOOBs and using it, after a few boots, when I reboot Raspbian corrupts for no reason,
Does it really corrupt when you reboot it? Or does it perhaps corrupt as you close it down, leading to a situation where you can't reboot it?

It it might be the latter, what is your regime/habit for closing the system down? Programatically halting the Operating System and waiting about 20 seconds - or until you have seen a sequence of 10 regular blinks of the activity led - is advisable.

If you want to delve into this: is it the Raspbian OS that is being corrupted, or the entire microSD card including the NOOBS Installer? (Do you still get the invitation to press Shift to entry Recovery mode as the system boots up?)

The NOOBS Installer itself is unlikely to be the culprit here.

RoundDuckMan

Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:04 am

B.Goode wrote:
RoundDuckMan wrote:After installing Raspbian from NOOBs and using it, after a few boots, when I reboot Raspbian corrupts for no reason,
Does it really corrupt when you reboot it? Or does it perhaps corrupt as you close it down, leading to a situation where you can't reboot it?

It it might be the latter, what is your regime/habit for closing the system down? Programatically halting the Operating System and waiting about 20 seconds - or until you have seen a sequence of 10 regular blinks of the activity led - is advisable.

If you want to delve into this: is it the Raspbian OS that is being corrupted, or the entire microSD card including the NOOBS Installer? (Do you still get the invitation to press Shift to entry Recovery mode as the system boots up?)

The NOOBS Installer itself is unlikely to be the culprit here.
I reboot it by doing sudo reboot, and letting it automatically reboot. I never really just unplug the thing early.

And it's likely the Raspbian OS, fsck complains as I boot into Raspbian if the reboot caused corruption, and will reboot again automatically. And yes, it's only reboots, I'm barely doing (if any) shutdowns, and this happens. Idk, is it my Lexar SD card? I'm going to try another card, but this time from Toshiba.

RoundDuckMan

Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:12 am

Good news, using a different SD card is having some different results for once. The terminal is opening much faster, and it went into systemd much faster, and it's a class 4. :x

Now maybe I should make it reboot many times, to see if it corrupts. Good luck? :?

EDIT: Seems to be slow again, but now at least I can point it to the fact that it's a Class 4, and that results were different in the beginnings, so I can hope, I guess? :?

[MOD EDIT - removed the vaguely disguised profanity. Please don't!]

Return to “Troubleshooting”