Wizzabeck

Gertboard beginner

Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:46 pm

I have an original Pi Zero and a Pi3. Both work fine and I have 16 years of running Linux as home machines. I've decided to get into electronics and have a Gertboard with 26 pin cable and a Cyntech 40 way T board which has a 40 way cable. The Gert cable wont plug into the Pi3. Two possibilities: use the Cyntech cable to connect to the Pi3 or solder 26 pins to the Pi Zero and use that to "drive" the Gert.
Will either of these routes cause me problems and which would you recommend please? I have seen MarkHaysHarris777 suggestion of using individual connectors but I don't know which I need until I get started. I'm literally going to be fumbling in the dark copying others to get a feel for it. I'm competent with soldering iron and components, just not at thinking up circuits.
Thanks for looking.
Ken

MarkHaysHarris777

Re: Gertboard beginner

Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:33 pm

hi, you'll want 10-20 of each of these:

male - female

female - female

Not to worry, they are inexpensive, and many companies carry them... you might also need some male-male connectos too... depends how many bread-board to bread-board connections you need, or whether you need to go to an Arduino!

If you use a ribbon cable beware! ... if you plug it in backwards your PI is toast. edit... or if you miss the pins by one or a row... words to the wise.

edit: the other thing, sorry almost forgot, you can make your own cables! Just buy a pocket-full of connectors (get a role of medium heatshrink tubing) and multi-colored ribbon cable. Basically, you pull the ribbon apart (have as many stands as you need) and solder the ends on, however you require them. I save this step for my finished projects... I don't make special ribbon cables for my breadboarding, unless its for a special board that I know I keeping and won't be changing.
marcus
:ugeek:

MarkHaysHarris777

Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:32 am

Wizzabeck wrote: ... have a Gertboard with 26 pin cable and a Cyntech 40 way T board which has a 40 way cable. Two possibilities: use the Cyntech cable to connect to the Pi3 or solder 26 pins to the Pi Zero and use that to "drive" the Gert.
Will either of these routes cause me problems and which would you recommend please? I have seen MarkHaysHarris777 suggestion of using individual connectors ...
hi again, take a look here for a look at the Sparkfun Wedge B+ which is compatible with the 2B & 3B; can be modified to work with any board!
marcus
:ugeek:

Milliways

Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:54 am

Wizzabeck wrote:I have an original Pi Zero and a Pi3. Both work fine and I have 16 years of running Linux as home machines. I've decided to get into electronics and have a Gertboard with 26 pin cable and a Cyntech 40 way T board which has a 40 way cable. The Gert cable wont plug into the Pi3. Two possibilities: use the Cyntech cable to connect to the Pi3 or solder 26 pins to the Pi Zero and use that to "drive" the Gert.
Will either of these routes cause me problems and which would you recommend please? I have seen MarkHaysHarris777 suggestion of using individual connectors but I don't know which I need until I get started. I'm literally going to be fumbling in the dark copying others to get a feel for it. I'm competent with soldering iron and components, just not at thinking up circuits.
Thanks for looking.
Ken
I don't have a Zero, but have used my Gertboard with a B, B+ and Pi2.
Provided you connect the 26 pins of the Gertboard to the pins 1-26 of the Pi (by whatever means) you should have no problems - apart from changes in serial port on the Pi3, but this is not a hardware issue.

If you have an original Gertboard, rather than the model designed to mount "on top" of the Pi you COULD use a 26 pin cable, but you will find this doesn't "fit" because of the connector which won't fit between the pins. I made a cable with a 40 pin connector on one end (an old PATA HDD connector) to which I fitted a 26 pin connector on the other end by splitting off 26 wires.

The "on top" Gertboard can be used unchanged.

You could use a 26 pin connector on the Pi OR a 40 pin connector cutting off pin 27, 28 which are only used if you use a "HAT".

Wizzabeck

Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:12 pm

hi again, take a look here for a look at the Sparkfun Wedge B+ which is compatible with the 2B & 3B; can be modified to work with any board![/quote]

Thanks for your response Marcus. My Cynotech Split is the equivalent of your Sparkfun Wedge and clearly needs a cover when I'm fiddling - thanks for the tip. Looking at what others are doing is the easiest way to learn in my book. Again thank you.
What are the M to F and F to F pins called? I've searched Element 14 and Radio Spares and only get 24 or 40 strips. They seem to be ubiquitous amongst makers so I must be missing a keyword.

Ken

Wizzabeck

Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:25 pm

Milliways wrote: I made a cable with a 40 pin connector on one end (an old PATA HDD connector) to which I fitted a 26 pin connector on the other end by splitting off 26 wires.

Thank you Millways. My Gertboard is a new readybuild version, I couldn't find a kit. It will sit on top of the Pi but I prefer to have them separated while playing around. They look a bit delicate and my "touch" is not what it was. Would be good to get rid of some of those old hard drive connectors that seem to multiply in dark places.

Ken

mikronauts

Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:41 pm

Add a 26 pin stacking connector between the 40 pin Pi and the 26 pin ribbon cable.

I do that when I plug my Pi Jumper Plus into any of the 40 pin SBC's.

http://www.mikronauts.com/raspberry-pi/pi-jumper/
Wizzabeck wrote:
Milliways wrote: I made a cable with a 40 pin connector on one end (an old PATA HDD connector) to which I fitted a 26 pin connector on the other end by splitting off 26 wires.

Thank you Millways. My Gertboard is a new readybuild version, I couldn't find a kit. It will sit on top of the Pi but I prefer to have them separated while playing around. They look a bit delicate and my "touch" is not what it was. Would be good to get rid of some of those old hard drive connectors that seem to multiply in dark places.

Ken
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

Milliways

Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:27 pm

Wizzabeck wrote:

Ken
Unfortunately if the Gertboard has a female connector you are going to have some problems. You will need a gender changer. I couldn't find a ready made one and posted my solution in this Forum some time ago. This requires a bit of agility.

Return to “HATs and other add-ons”