anniq91

raspberry pi controlled li-ion battery charger

Sun May 22, 2016 1:53 pm

hello everyone. I've been doing project raspberry pi controlled li-ion battery charger.From the figure attached,digital pin 9 connect to GPIO 5 while analog 0 and 1 connect to GPIO 18 and GPIO 13 at the raspberry pi model B.Can someone give me an idea how to monitor the circuit;the current and voltage
Attachments
battery-circuit.jpg
battery-circuit.jpg (14.47 KiB) Viewed 2671 times

Burngate

Re: raspberry pi controlled li-ion battery charger

Sun May 22, 2016 2:43 pm

The Pi has no analogue inputs, so connecting those Analog pins won't help you.

Is this a ready-made charger board that you want to connect, or one you're making yourself?

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun May 22, 2016 4:55 pm

I really wouldn't recommend anyone build a lithium cell battery charger unless they really know what they are doing.
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

anniq91

Mon May 23, 2016 5:56 pm

a ready-made charger board.is there any way how im going to control the charging current using raspberry pi?

masa-aud

Mon May 23, 2016 11:36 pm

reply to anniq91 on raspberry pi controlled li-ion
I think that you need to refer data sheets and should know about very voltage sensitive characteristics of such battery prior to "how to control by RPi". So you will find necessary to involve precision analog circuit just fixed for each brand and type of battery if you think to have a good system.
masa

Burngate

Tue May 24, 2016 10:01 am

If it's a ready-made board it aught to be a lot more complicated than that. As alexeames says, Li-ion batteries need very carefull handling - not a diy project.

And, no, you're unlikely to be able to control it with a Pi.

Heater

Tue May 24, 2016 10:52 am

anniq91,

I would strong advise against trying to build a li-ion battery charger. Charging such a battery is a complicated process. it has a constant current and constant voltage phase. It requires accurate measurement of voltage and current.

See "Charge and discharge procedure" here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium-i ... _discharge

Note the statement "Failure to follow current and voltage limitations can result in an explosion."

It would also be wise to monitor battery temperature whilst charging. See notes on temperature in the above link.

Apart from all that there are ready made, working out of the box, charger boards available, with proper control chips on them. They are very cheap. Probably cheaper than building your own.

If, despite all that, you really, really want to build your own charger then a Pi is not an appropriate device to control it.

pksato

Tue May 24, 2016 12:47 pm

Hi,
If is a single cell, use TP4056 module. Cost less that US$1,00 on ebay.
Not have bus to connect to raspberry pi, but two led output can easy connect to RPi.
Some of these modules are pins to output, other no.

Return to “General discussion”