wayner

Plus ca change... Pi Zero 1.3 now OOS at Adafruit

Mon May 16, 2016 6:56 pm

So it looks like the Raspberry Pi v1.3 is "available" but the availability is about the same as the old Zero - that is all versions (board alone, kits, etc) are Out of Stock, at least at Adafruit.
Note: Due to popular demand, there might be some delay in shipping products containing Pi Zero!

Note: As of May 16th, 3 A.M. EDT Adafruit is now selling version 1.3 of the Pi Zero. Version 1.3 is updated to include a camera port.
And the camera cable that is to be available soon is to be for V2 of the Zero. Should that be V1.3?
This camera cable is specifically designed to work with the Raspberry Pi Zero - Version 2! Just plug it into your Pi Zero's camera port and then the other end into one of the official Pi Cameras for photo & video joy.
Will this version actually ever be available for purchase?

wayner

Re: Plus ca change... Pi Zero 1.3 now OOS at Adafruit

Mon May 16, 2016 7:38 pm

How about some love for the west side of the pond?

Edit - And PiHut only appears to be selling £27 kits, not individual Pi Zero boards.

fruitoftheloom

Mon May 16, 2016 7:52 pm

wayner wrote:How about some love for the west side of the pond?

Edit - And PiHut only appears to be selling £27 kits, not individual Pi Zero boards.

You can buy Raspberry Pi Zero in Europe from our friends at The Pi Hut and Pimoroni, and in the US from Adafruit and in-store at your local branch of Micro Center. There are roughly 30,000 new Zeros out there today, and we’ll be making thousands more each day until demand is met.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/zero-g ... -connector
Retired disgracefully.....

hippy

Mon May 16, 2016 8:03 pm

wayner wrote:H And PiHut only appears to be selling £27 kits, not individual Pi Zero boards.
It took me some time to figure that one out. You have to click on the "Option" box, which is in fact a drop-down which allows you to select what you want.

They still seem to have some boards-only in stock.

EimGhey

Mon May 16, 2016 8:36 pm

Does anyone know if you can do the Aquaponics project with Pi Zero? I can afford Pi Zeros myself... However not the full Pi and I was thinking of getting one of them every two weeks to build aquaponics units? :?:

W. H. Heydt

Mon May 16, 2016 8:43 pm

hippy wrote:
wayner wrote:H And PiHut only appears to be selling £27 kits, not individual Pi Zero boards.
It took me some time to figure that one out. You have to click on the "Option" box, which is in fact a drop-down which allows you to select what you want.

They still seem to have some boards-only in stock.
Thanks for that. It's probably why they still have bare boards left.

stderr

Mon May 16, 2016 8:49 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:and in the US from Adafruit and in-store at your local branch of Micro Center.
Didn't we figure that most Americans live at least a thousand miles away from a Micro Center store? So treating it like there is a local branch like the 7/11 or the Circle K, well, it's probably not going to fly too far.

wayner

Mon May 16, 2016 9:15 pm

And some of us North Americans don't even have a Micro Center in our country. #wethenorth

tweak42

Tue May 17, 2016 12:33 am

EimGhey wrote:Does anyone know if you can do the Aquaponics project with Pi Zero? I can afford Pi Zeros myself... However not the full Pi and I was thinking of getting one of them every two weeks to build aquaponics units? :?:
I don't see why you can't build a aquaponics project with a zero, other than it's only one small component of a system. At the minimum you will likely need to solder on a GPIO header, in addition the other parts will cost far more than the zero itself. You may want to ask for advice in the projects forums and do some googling on raspberry pi related projects before buying anything.

CarlRJ

Tue May 17, 2016 2:34 am

stderr wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote:and in the US from Adafruit and in-store at your local branch of Micro Center.
Didn't we figure that most Americans live at least a thousand miles away from a Micro Center store? So treating it like there is a local branch like the 7/11 or the Circle K, well, it's probably not going to fly too far.
Yeah, I blinked in astonishment at the phrase "your local branch of Micro Center". I'm in a major US city. The nearest Micro Center is an hour and a half away at freeway speeds. Nothing local about that. ;) I love Adafruit, but Micro Center is a non-starter for much of the US.

W. H. Heydt

Tue May 17, 2016 3:52 am

CarlRJ wrote:
stderr wrote:
Yeah, I blinked in astonishment at the phrase "your local branch of Micro Center". I'm in a major US city. The nearest Micro Center is an hour and a half away at freeway speeds. Nothing local about that. ;) I love Adafruit, but Micro Center is a non-starter for much of the US.
Ah... You're really close to a Micro Center. Nearest one to me is over 400 miles away. An hour and a half on the freeway would put me smack in the middle of Silicon Valley....or at the Computer History Museum where there have been two recent Picademy sessions.

fruitoftheloom

Tue May 17, 2016 5:39 am

FYI the post about Over the Pond locations was taken from the Blog, so do not shoot the messenger.
Retired disgracefully.....

plugh

Tue May 17, 2016 10:11 am

fortunately I DO live near a microcenter

unfortunately they still aren't showing stock.

hum dee dum dum ...

HawaiianPi

Tue May 17, 2016 6:08 pm

plugh wrote:fortunately I DO live near a microcenter

hum dee dum dum ...
My GF just got a Zero at Microcenter last weekend... and then this weekend they release the improved version (hers does not have the camera connector). :P
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

fdr4prez

Wed May 18, 2016 1:34 am

HawaiianPi wrote:
plugh wrote:fortunately I DO live near a microcenter

hum dee dum dum ...
My GF just got a Zero at Microcenter last weekend... and then this weekend they release the improved version (hers does not have the camera connector). :P
Are they stocking them in the stores, but not allowing the website to show that they are in stock?

On Monday I was able to make an order from Adafruit before they sold out, but at the same time I checked Microcenter's site and they never showed stock - even when changing between each store.

tweak42

Wed May 18, 2016 2:33 am

fdr4prez wrote:
Are they stocking them in the stores, but not allowing the website to show that they are in stock?

On Monday I was able to make an order from Adafruit before they sold out, but at the same time I checked Microcenter's site and they never showed stock - even when changing between each store.
I've been checking Micro Center site for my local store periodically and haven't seen any stock listed. I'll probably have to resort to calling the store to see if they can/will tell me if they have any Zero shipments coming in. When I got my Pi2 there back when they 1st came out, MC website stock numbers said they had none when they physically had a stacks of Pi2 on the shelf.

Jednorozec

Wed May 18, 2016 4:45 am

I ordered a Zero from Adafruit very early on Monday and it still hasn't been shipped. :(
The most important leg of a three legged stool is the one that's missing.
It's called thinking. Why don't you try it sometime?

W. H. Heydt

Wed May 18, 2016 5:01 am

Jednorozec wrote:I ordered a Zero from Adafruit very early on Monday and it still hasn't been shipped. :(
I've seen that issue with them before. Don't worry too much about it unless it hasn't shipped by early next week.

Jednorozec

Wed May 18, 2016 5:58 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Jednorozec wrote:I ordered a Zero from Adafruit very early on Monday and it still hasn't been shipped. :(
I've seen that issue with them before. Don't worry too much about it unless it hasn't shipped by early next week.
I know that I'll get it eventually but i want it NOW!
The most important leg of a three legged stool is the one that's missing.
It's called thinking. Why don't you try it sometime?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed May 18, 2016 8:58 am

We really are spoiled nowadays. Same day shipping was unheard of a few years ago.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Pithagoros

Wed May 18, 2016 9:26 am

jamesh wrote:
We really are spoiled nowadays. Same day shipping was unheard of a few years ago.
Got to give credit to Pimoroni for this, my camera enabled Zer0 was in my hands 23 hours and 49 minutes after ordering.

W. H. Heydt

Wed May 18, 2016 2:27 pm

Jednorozec wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote:
I know that I'll get it eventually but i want it NOW!
I do sympathize, but as my wife and used to tell our children when they were young, "Then want must be your master."

blaablaaguy

Wed May 18, 2016 7:44 pm

Pithagoros wrote:
jamesh wrote:
Got to give credit to Pimoroni for this, my camera enabled Zer0 was in my hands 23 hours and 49 minutes after ordering.
Mine came two days later from pi hut with standard shipping option
This signature intentionally left blank.

ga2500ev

Sun May 22, 2016 7:35 pm

Microcenters have the Pi Zero 1.3 with camera connector in stock as of yesterday.

I was interested enough that I wrote a bash script that uses curl and some editing to show the inventory status for my Atlanta area Microcenter stores.

So it looks like the problem is going to persist for a while longer. So what can be done in the meantime to help folks out who simply do not have access?

It seems to me that there are two or three cost caps:

1. Adafruit has a $10+ USD shipping and handling charge to the bare Pi Zero board, when they are in stock.

2. Pi B boards are available on Ebay starting at $20 USD and free shipping.

3. Pi Zeros again are on Ebay starting at $23 including shipping.

So the question is what is a reasonable price for a Pi Zero including shipping and handling? The $40 Ebay ones of course are a flat rip off. But is $20 USD out of the question once shipping and handling are accounted for?

I am unsure why Micro Center doesn't seem to ship any Pi boards of any type. May just be marketing to get folks to come into their stores.

But no one is going to drive to one, make a purchase, pack and ship for $5 USD. Given that what is a reasonable amount to expect to pay?

ga2500ev

Return to “General discussion”