Rive

Re: 13th May 2016 Changes to the Raspbian Jessie Desktop

Fri May 13, 2016 12:44 pm

DirkS wrote:
Rive wrote:I am already running 4.4.9, is there an "apt-get install" just for the bt (replace blueman), and sd copier? I do not want to do a dist-upgrade.
I think you can do that with just update / upgrade and then install piclone

One other issue, I did the update/upgrade, but I was still showing blueman, so I purged blueman, and apparently lost the new BT UI. as well (I think it installed, perhaps it did not).

Reinstalling backup, then I will try purging blueman prior to update/upgrade (see if that does anything different).

Be a lot easier if there was a 'sudo apt-get install..." for the new bt UI.
Last edited by Rive on Fri May 13, 2016 12:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DNPNWO

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Fri May 13, 2016 12:45 pm

Rive wrote:
ShiftPlusOne wrote:
Rive wrote:I do not want to do a dist-upgrade.
Why not exactly? The theme bug you reported a while bag has been fixed.
I am on the rpi-update (4.4.9), is the dist-upgrade the exact same?
Yup

Rive

Fri May 13, 2016 12:53 pm

ShiftPlusOne wrote:Yup
I have a lot of stuff that I don't want broken, and the update/upgrade seems to work just fine (though I am encountering a snafu with the new BT UI), so I will stick with that for now I think.
DNPNWO

ShiftPlusOne

Fri May 13, 2016 1:00 pm

Rive wrote:
ShiftPlusOne wrote:Yup
I have a lot of stuff that I don't want broken, and the update/upgrade seems to work just fine (though I am encountering a snafu with the new BT UI), so I will stick with that for now I think.
I would highly advice against that. apt-get upgrade just installs new versions of already installed packages, as long as the dependencies are satisfied. apt-get dist-upgrade does the same thing, but also pulls in the new dependencies if any. So by running apt-get upgrade, all you're doing is not upgrading a few packages with new dependencies. Over time, that's likely to do more harm than good.

Rive

Fri May 13, 2016 1:10 pm

ok.

edit

I have determined there is no way to get the features without the dist-upgrade.
Last edited by Rive on Fri May 13, 2016 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DNPNWO

Rive

Fri May 13, 2016 1:45 pm

hmmm:

The dist-upgrade broke everything (nearly all customizations) , The UI customizations, keybindings, settings on menu/panel items, etc

I had to revert back to 4.1.13 to do the dist-upgrade, as I think the rpi-update i was on, made things break a bit more (like menu/Run).

Took approx 20 min or so to redo the customizations, so all good now for the most part.
Last edited by Rive on Fri May 13, 2016 6:24 pm, edited 6 times in total.
DNPNWO

ShiftPlusOne

Fri May 13, 2016 1:57 pm

Rive wrote: The dist-upgrade broke everything (nearly all customizations) , The UI customizations, keybindings, settings on menu/panel items, etc
There's no nice way of updating some things without overwriting some things. You should have seen a message which tells you where your old files were backed up so that you can merge your changes in with the new files.

Rive

Fri May 13, 2016 2:01 pm

ShiftPlusOne wrote:
Rive wrote: The dist-upgrade broke everything (nearly all customizations) , The UI customizations, keybindings, settings on menu/panel items, etc
There's no nice way of updating some things without overwriting some things. You should have seen a message which tells you where your old files were backed up so that you can merge your changes in with the new files.
I am gonna pick and choose the updates now that i have a 'apt-get install', 'apt-get upgrade' list. See how that works.

edit:

the "pick and choose" ala carte doesnt work :(
Last edited by Rive on Fri May 13, 2016 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DNPNWO

groundcontroltom

Fri May 13, 2016 2:14 pm

I notice the blog post mentions using PulseAudio for audio over bluetooth. I've currently got some Python code that parses audio and shoves packets of data to HDMI audio using AlsaAudio, what are my options for changing this to push the data out to a bluetooth speaker?

scruss

Fri May 13, 2016 2:26 pm

Thank you thank you thank you for putting the wpa_supplicant file initially in /boot. This will really help people get connected quickly.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

JimmyN

Fri May 13, 2016 2:31 pm

I hope on the next upgrade they fix the menu system.

The new SDCard copier and Geany don't show up in the menu....yet. I did an "update" and "dist-upgrade" and currently show this on a RPI3B

Code: Select all

uname -a
Linux rpi5 4.4.9-v7+ #884 SMP Fri May 6 17:28:59 BST 2016 armv7l GNU/Linux
The upgrade placed .desktop files in "/usr/share/applications" for both "piclone.desktop" and "geany.desktop", but they don't show up in the menu. I copied the .desktop files to "/usr/share/raspi-ui-overrides/applications"" which will usually prod it into showing the new items, but that didn't work either. I played with the menu editor, making a few changes back and forth to see if it that would list the new items if I made some changes, but they didn't show up.

So after copying the files manually to a second menu list, using the menu editor, restarting lxpanel three times, two reboots, and a shutdown and boot they still don't show up in the menu. Changes will usually show up eventually, but for now I copied the .desktop files to "~/Desktop" so they are desktop shortcuts until they show up in the menu, or I can run "piclone" or "geany" from the command line if I have a terminal open.

I've noticed a few other things.
The BT icon didn't show up in the taskbar. I can add it using the "add/remove" panel items, but it didn't show up by default.
There is no "Empty Wastebasket" option when right clicking on the icon. I had already added a right click "Empty Trash" option, viewtopic.php?f=29&t=136588 and that is there and I've been using it, but there is no new "Empty Wastebasket" entry.

Anyone else see any of this, or is it just me?

ShiftPlusOne

Fri May 13, 2016 2:35 pm

JimmyN wrote:I hope on the next upgrade they fix the menu system.

The new SDCard copier and Geany don't show up in the menu....yet. I did an "update" and "dist-upgrade" and currently show this on a RPI3B

Code: Select all

uname -a
Linux rpi5 4.4.9-v7+ #884 SMP Fri May 6 17:28:59 BST 2016 armv7l GNU/Linux
The upgrade placed .desktop files in "/usr/share/applications" for both "piclone.desktop" and "geany.desktop", but they don't show up in the menu. I copied the .desktop files to "/usr/share/raspi-ui-overrides/applications"" which will usually prod it into showing the new items, but that didn't work either. I played with the menu editor, making a few changes back and forth to see if it that would list the new items if I made some changes, but they didn't show up.

So after copying the files manually to a second menu list, using the menu editor, restarting lxpanel three times, two reboots, and a shutdown and boot they still don't show up in the menu. Changes will usually show up eventually, but for now I copied the .desktop files to "~/Desktop" so they are desktop shortcuts until they show up in the menu, or I can run "piclone" or "geany" from the command line if I have a terminal open.

I've noticed a few other things.
The BT icon didn't show up in the taskbar. I can add it using the "add/remove" panel items, but it didn't show up by default.
There is no "Empty Wastebasket" option when right clicking on the icon. I had already added a right click "Empty Trash" option, viewtopic.php?f=29&t=136588 and that is there and I've been using it, but there is no new "Empty Wastebasket" entry.

Anyone else see any of this, or is it just me?
There have been menu editor fixes, but what you're describing doesn't seem related. As the blog post says, you need to install piclone and geany yourself.

BT applet should've showed up after you logged out and back in.

Edit: Also, empty trash and empty wastebasket is the same thing, it just depends on your locale which is displayed.

Rive

Fri May 13, 2016 2:41 pm

deleted
Last edited by Rive on Fri May 13, 2016 6:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DNPNWO

Heater

Fri May 13, 2016 2:42 pm

How come raspi-config does not allow one to select a keyboard layout?

We have a locale for language options which I want set to English-English.

But I have a Finnish layout keyboard.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

ShiftPlusOne

Fri May 13, 2016 2:44 pm

Rive wrote:Found some issues already... in the dist-upgrade :? perhaps it is just me though.

1. paired BT audo iconcepts speaker, problem is it wants you to "use audio menu to connect to device". There is no audio menu. I assume it is referring to pulse audio, but there is nothing for that in the menu. Preferences/Audio device settings is a dead end also.

2. Menu "Run" doesnt appear to work at all. locks up, non-responsive.

Awesome!
1) It means the audio applet in the taskbar.
2) Works okay here.

Rive

Fri May 13, 2016 2:46 pm

ShiftPlusOne wrote:
Rive wrote:Found some issues already... in the dist-upgrade :? perhaps it is just me though.

1. paired BT audo iconcepts speaker, problem is it wants you to "use audio menu to connect to device". There is no audio menu. I assume it is referring to pulse audio, but there is nothing for that in the menu. Preferences/Audio device settings is a dead end also.

2. Menu "Run" doesnt appear to work at all. locks up, non-responsive.

Awesome!
1) It means the audio applet in the taskbar.
2) Works okay here.

Screenshot please, because I dont see it

edit

Found it...you have to right click on the Volume/speaker icon.... :?

So...whats up with the Menu/ "Run" command?

edit:

As for the menu/run, I think this was because I was already running the rpi-update, once i reverted to 4.1.13, and did the dist-upgrade, the "Run" worked as it should.
Last edited by Rive on Fri May 13, 2016 6:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DNPNWO

ShiftPlusOne

Fri May 13, 2016 2:49 pm

Heater wrote:How come raspi-config does not allow one to select a keyboard layout?

We have a locale for language options which I want set to English-English.

But I have a Finnish layout keyboard.
What happens when you use the "Change Keyboard Layout" option (without using SSH)?

Rive

Fri May 13, 2016 2:54 pm

Tried to pair bt audio device, got this error ....

Failed to connect to device-
GDBus.Error:org.bluez.Error.failed: Host is down. Try to connect again.
Last edited by Rive on Fri May 13, 2016 6:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DNPNWO

Heater

Fri May 13, 2016 3:01 pm

ShiftPlusOne,
What happens when you use the "Change Keyboard Layout" option (without using SSH)?
Just did that this afternoon with a new Pi 3 and today's Raspian release. Using attached screen, keyboard and mouse.

I see a lot of keyboard types to select from but no language layout options.

I always have to edit /etc/default/keyboard which seems a bit odd when you have made a tool to do that sort of stuff.

ShiftPlusOne

Fri May 13, 2016 3:03 pm

Heater wrote:ShiftPlusOne,
Just did that this afternoon with a new Pi 3 and today's Raspian release. Using attached screen, keyboard and mouse.

I see a lot of keyboard types to select from but no language layout options.

I always have to edit /etc/default/keyboard which seems a bit odd when you have made a tool to do that sort of stuff.
I get two screens. First selects the keyboard type and the second selects the layout. It's just running dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration.

joan

Fri May 13, 2016 3:04 pm

B.Goode wrote:Kudos, congratulations and thanks to @joan, a regular contributor here, for the inclusion of the pigpio library.
Your post was the first I knew of this. I'm pleased to say that the manual pages are also installed as well as /opt/pigpio (which is only of use to some scripts).

solar3000

Fri May 13, 2016 3:05 pm

I'm curious about the Bluetooth audio. Is it also possible for audio input?
Antikythera

Heater

Fri May 13, 2016 3:08 pm

Given that Raspbian departs from Debian in many ways would it be so hard to include a package that installed the latest stable node.js? The version in Debian is woefully ancient given the rate at which node has been evolving in recent times.

B.Goode

Fri May 13, 2016 3:18 pm

joan wrote:
B.Goode wrote:Kudos, congratulations and thanks to @joan, a regular contributor here, for the inclusion of the pigpio library.
Your post was the first I knew of this. I'm pleased to say that the manual pages are also installed as well as /opt/pigpio (which is only of use to some scripts).
It was noted as a possibility in a blog post by Ben Nuttall: http://bennuttall.com/whats-new-gpio-zero-v1-2/

Scroll down to "pigpio and pigpio" under "Alternative pin implementations"

I'm disappointed that you were not offered the courtesy of being able to comment on their plans. (But given the way other community contributors have been treated in the past, maybe not surprised... )

PS: this post seems to suggest the python bindings are not installed by default - viewtopic.php?f=32&t=148038#p973739
Last edited by B.Goode on Fri May 13, 2016 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ShiftPlusOne

Fri May 13, 2016 3:22 pm

Heater wrote:Given that Raspbian departs from Debian in many ways would it be so hard to include a package that installed the latest stable node.js? The version in Debian is woefully ancient given the rate at which node has been evolving in recent times.
Would be best to wait until it's stable. If we update node.js now, people will complain that it's not the latest version a week later and it may have bugs which will force us to upgrade it again. Another point people bring up is that the newer version has bugfixes, but really, it just has newer bugs. Then we also have to consider the state of existing packages which use node.js and how the new version would affect them. Would we then have to update all the node* packages as well?

There are many similar projects which often complain about Debian's release cycle because Debian doesn't have the latest version of their bugs. Debian has been around for a lot longer and they know how to release stable software. I think in general they do things for good reasons. Diverting from it isn't something we like doing.

Return to “General discussion”