spudmurf101

Do I need a Raspberry PI?

Sun May 08, 2016 11:42 pm

I have just upgraded to a pi 3, with a view to using it as a media centre. Using openelec/kodi. So far the results have been very disappointing. I'm not sure if it's Kodi or the pi itself. I chose the wifi option which means less cabling, and I selected Filmon add-on. For Sport, I use Phoenix. Filmon is terrible, with constant buffering every few minutes - and I've resorted to hooking up an old lap-top to the TV using filmon directly. The Sports channels are forever stalling and the quality is rubbish. Again, I have resorted to my laptop cricfre.sx which gives me every sport. I tried metalkettle's XMovies8, which loaded ok, but there is no content. Everything through the laptop directly is more reliable - better quality, & no buffering. I then asked myself, why have I bothered with this piece of kit. Does anyone else have similar problems?

MikeDunn

Re: Do I need a Raspberry PI?

Mon May 09, 2016 8:43 am

Do I need a Raspberry PI?
Nope. No-one needs one. Some of us get one (or more) anyway.
I'm not sure if it's Kodi or the pi itself. I chose the wifi option which means less cabling
The obvious test is to plug a cable in, yes ? How does it behave now ? And how does a PC/laptop behave using similar apps ?

Do some tests; that will tell you where your problem lies. At that point, you can see what you need do to fix it.

Heater

Re: Do I need a Raspberry PI?

Mon May 09, 2016 8:49 am

spudmurf101,

No sounds like you don't need a Pi. Sounds like you just want to watch TV. The Pi was not designed for that.
I then asked myself, why have I bothered with this piece of kit. Does anyone else have similar problems?
So why did you by a microscope when all you wanted was a TV? If you see what I mean.

That's a serious question, every now and then someone pops up here complaining the Pi is not as good a TV as they wanted. Having bought something, the Pi, when they don't know what it is or what to do with it.

Why do people do that? Why did you do that?

Return to “General discussion”