Trixster

Re: Uae4arm: Amiga emulator with JIT and DispmanX

Fri May 06, 2016 12:02 pm

Try this version from higher up in this thread, it still has ctrl as the menu option

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mpdqb6vy3so4z ... 46.7z?dl=0

Haemogoblin

Fri May 06, 2016 12:51 pm

Thank you for the file! I'll give it a shot :D

I'm hoping the changes to uae4arm aren’t permanent and that perhaps it's possible to tell the emulator what key to use for the config screen. Otherwise I wont be able to make use of any of the future updates Chips makes and I kinda built this A600Pi system, after seeing the work that was being done on Uae4Arm.

https://bytemyvdu.wordpress.com/2015/11 ... 0pi-amiga/

It will really suck if I can't use the latest version with the system.
Blackadder: Right Baldrick, let's try again, shall we? This is called adding. If I have two beans, and then I add two more, what do I have?
Baldrick: Some beans

pawelkrak

Fri May 06, 2016 5:07 pm

Hello Haemogoblin

This is last compilation (Chips 0.5 code) with working status led (n0rt0nthec4t) and my change with menu-gui key as F10. My project is A1200 PI ;). Please check.

Regards Paul

Code: Select all

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=71778607294004531512

rSl

Fri May 06, 2016 5:31 pm

thanks for the new built chips!

i just saw that tomb has a new upstream beta release on the pyra-handheld boards which uses a new jitv2!
it should be around 20% faster and more compatible than the previous one, so yay for progress! :)

btw, on pyra-handheld.com, there is now the possibility to pre-order the pyra itself, which is the successor
of the openpandora handheld, sharing the same niiice (i'm there too ;) community.
so if one likes a pocketable mini-amiga computer running uae4arm with a real keyboard and debian os out of the box, this could
be a verry interesting system. it's built in low qantity (first batch) from a small team in germany with love, so it's not really low priced, but maybe one is interested in this cool niche computer.

lubomyr

Fri May 06, 2016 6:26 pm

rSl wrote: i just saw that tomb has a new upstream beta release on the pyra-handheld boards which uses a new jitv2!
it should be around 20% faster and more compatible than the previous one, so yay for progress! :)
JITv2 is really approximately 20% faster. But information about better compatibility is not correct.
I just tested (via android device) and saw few app which worked correct with JITv1 and not correct with JITv2 code. But that only beta version. Probably in release version JIT2 will have better compatibility.

PhillyFromNL

Fri May 06, 2016 7:28 pm

lubomyr wrote:
rSl wrote: i just saw that tomb has a new upstream beta release on the pyra-handheld boards which uses a new jitv2!
JITv2 is really approximately 20% faster. But information about better compatibility is not correct.
I just tested (via android device) and saw few app which worked correct with JITv1 and not correct with JITv2 code. But that only beta version. Probably in release version JIT2 will have better compatibility.
The faster the better, hope audio will be usable to somehow... digibooster on PI! :)

Haemogoblin

Fri May 06, 2016 8:13 pm

Thanks Paul, thats really appreciated, happy to see another Amiga build :D I've been considering doing an A1200, just to see what I can do with the extra space. Though this sudden change to Uae4arm, had me worrying I would be stuck using an old version. I hope the move to F12 isn't permanent, as it will really fudge things up :-(

pawelkrak wrote:Hello Haemogoblin

This is last compilation (Chips 0.5 code) with working status led (n0rt0nthec4t) and my change with menu-gui key as F10. My project is A1200 PI ;). Please check.

Regards Paul

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=71778607294004531512
Blackadder: Right Baldrick, let's try again, shall we? This is called adding. If I have two beans, and then I add two more, what do I have?

GrethTom

Sat May 07, 2016 8:58 am

Hi all, firstly I am a big fan of UAE4ARM and everything that has been pulled together so far. I have been playing a lot with it and have configured to near completion however there is one element that doesn't work at all at the moment and wandered if someone could help me figure out how to get custom controls working (even a limited amount). Firstly I have been playing about with the joystick.cpp code quite a bit and have had minor success here with sending the Escape key as an SDL event, here is an extract of my code:

SDL_Event sdlevent;
sdlevent.type = SDL_KEYDOWN
sdlevent.key.keysym.sym = SDLK_ESCAPE;
sdlevent.key.keysym.mod = KMOD_NONE;
SDL_PushEvent(&sdlevent);

sdlevent.type = SDL_KEYUP;
sdlevent.key.keysym.sym = SDLK_ESCAPE;
sdlevent.key.keysym.mod = KMOD_NONE;
SDL_PushEvent(&sdlevent);
Like I say this works for the Escape key however it does not work for a couple of other keys I have tried, F10 and 0 (zero) keys. Within Pandora_gui.cpp there is logic on how the custom controls should work but I have played around quite a bit with no avail:

if(buttonY)
{
	if(!justPressedY)
    	{
    	   	//SPACE
    	   	uae4all_keystate[AK_SPC] = 1;
    	   	record_key(AK_SPC << 1);
    	   	justPressedY=1;
    	}
 }
else if(justPressedY)
   	{
    	   	//SPACE
    	   	uae4all_keystate[AK_SPC] = 0;
    	   	record_key((AK_SPC << 1) | 1);
    	   	justPressedY=0;
   	}
Sample above is for Space key but have tried different keys again without success.

Anyone fancy working together to try and get custom controls working? That would give UAE4ARM emulator the full console like experience for games that only require joystick and a handful of keyboard keys (like Space & Function keys).

Haemogoblin

Sat May 07, 2016 3:57 pm

Mappable keys has been a long over due feature. It would be awesome if you actually make progress in implementing it :-)

Ua4Arm is great, but it still does need improvement if it is ever to compare to WinUAE. I think chips had done amazing work under the circumstances. Just why F12 chips!?? Why!! Lol :-P

Higgy

Sat May 07, 2016 8:10 pm

I guess because no Amiga programs use F12 ;) so there are no compatibility issues. Some WHDload exits use F10.

SWOS spinning logo show/hide is F10 (from memory) lol!

Haemogoblin

Sat May 07, 2016 8:22 pm

For certain that no A600 game does :-P

n0rt0nthec4t

Sun May 08, 2016 4:37 am

Higgy wrote:I guess because no Amiga programs use F12 ;) so there are no compatibility issues. Some WHDload exits use F10.

SWOS spinning logo show/hide is F10 (from memory) lol!
I was think of changing the menu key to the blank key on next to the return key on the A600

Haemogoblin

Sun May 08, 2016 8:52 am

That could work :-) My A600 at least has THAT key lol

HoraceAndTheSpider

Sun May 08, 2016 12:29 pm

Glad to hear of some work happening up-thread in key mapping.

This is a seriously missed feature for an "arcade" type use.

You'd ideally want to map to any keyboard button or a joystick/joy buttons/analogue stick any of the following;

- Any keyboard key (most/all?) implemented to some extent
- CD32 buttons
- mouse control
- Parallel port interface inputs
- UAE program controls (quit/menu/reset etc)

PSPUAE ,although slow in places, does these very well in order to "maximise" it's enjoyment despite not being full speed without frame skip. Maybe worth looking at the code used there.

Being able to map to a button combo (e.g. Ctrl-left Amiga-space) might help those using it housed inside a real Amiga case.

Haemogoblin

Sun May 08, 2016 1:55 pm

I hadn't suggested a key combo, as I wasn't sure what was and wasn't possible.

But heck that would make this emulator really awesome!

HoraceAndTheSpider wrote:Glad to hear of some work happening up-thread in key mapping.

This is a seriously missed feature for an "arcade" type use.

You'd ideally want to map to any keyboard button or a joystick/joy buttons/analogue stick any of the following;

- Any keyboard key (most/all?) implemented to some extent
- CD32 buttons
- mouse control
- Parallel port interface inputs
- UAE program controls (quit/menu/reset etc)

PSPUAE ,although slow in places, does these very well in order to "maximise" it's enjoyment despite not being full speed without frame skip. Maybe worth looking at the code used there.

Being able to map to a button combo (e.g. Ctrl-left Amiga-space) might help those using it housed inside a real Amiga case.

GrethTom

Mon May 09, 2016 9:53 am

Does anyone know how to turn debug mode on for UAE4ARM and where the output gets written to? I don't have a compiler so debugger is my next best shot at having a play with controller configs.

PhillyFromNL

Mon May 09, 2016 5:30 pm

lubomyr wrote:
The JIT is fast, but the audio still is terrible slow.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wn8sbl6192tee ... 2.png?dl=0

Trixster

Tue May 10, 2016 7:52 pm

Have you tried sysspeed? It's a better indication of a systems speed than sysinfo. Have you got an updated binary with the JIT2 code I could try?

PhillyFromNL

Tue May 10, 2016 8:36 pm

Trixster wrote:Have you tried sysspeed? It's a better indication of a systems speed than sysinfo. Have you got an updated binary with the JIT2 code I could try?
No only had sysinfo on the hdfile, also compiled a sdl version wich is much faster in sysinfo.

Here you have a few binary's:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uj4cedrq8wgut ... t2.7z?dl=0

(There's a keyboard problem, but since the audio is so bad i didn't bother to try and fix it..)

Trixster

Wed May 11, 2016 8:12 am

Cool, thanks for the upload.

The JIT2 binary seems to make sysspeed go a little crazy as it now reports 650Mips and 11.23MFlops, Sysinfo now reports 138.5Mips and 7.14MFlops. The old JIT1 binary reported 80Mips and 10MFLops in sysspeed, and in Sysinfo 85Mips and 6.48 MFlops. Games like AmiQuake and AmiQuake2 do seem a tiny bit faster but I think they're mainly floating point reliant. Starstruck doesnt seem any faster than JIT1 and it's still certainly not as smooth as an 80Mhz 68060. Doom is very fast (I'm using DoomAttack), it seems to have been given a big speed boost with fps well into the 20s an above. AlienBreed 3D II used to run pretty well but it's now turbocharged and runs as well if not better than an 060.

Your sdl binary is interesting. P96 doesnt seem to work properly but the sysspeed readings are now even higher - 1100Mips but only 8.73MFlops. Sysinfo gives 139Mips and 7.04MFlops.

for reference an 80Mhz 68060 gives 106Mips and about 40 MFlops in sysspeed.

All this is using a 1300Mhz Pi3 with core at 500Mhz and sdram at 600Mhz

lubomyr

Wed May 11, 2016 11:15 am

My comparison JITv1 vs JITv2 (device: Commodore Pet). I used SysInfo, SysSpeed and AIBB benchmark app.
http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=108 ... tcount=142

Trixster

Wed May 11, 2016 3:25 pm

The differences in speeds between the rpi3 and the system you're runnig are quite interesting. I'm surprised the mflops are so different.

GrethTom

Wed May 11, 2016 3:59 pm

GrethTom wrote:Does anyone know how to turn debug mode on for UAE4ARM and where the output gets written to? I don't have a compiler so debugger is my next best shot at having a play with controller configs.
I am currently a bit stuck on custom controller buttons. I do not have a compiler and am no C++ expert. Does anyone know how to write out messages to a system log? I see the printf function mentioned in a few places but cannot see any where you would able to read that. As soon as you close UAE4ARM, anything printed using that function is lost. Hope someone can give me guidance. Cheers.

PhillyFromNL

Wed May 11, 2016 7:16 pm

Trixster wrote:Cool, thanks for the upload.

The JIT2 binary seems to make sysspeed go a little crazy as it now reports 650Mips and 11.23MFlops, Sysinfo now reports 138.5Mips and 7.14MFlops. The old JIT1 binary reported 80Mips and 10MFLops in sysspeed, and in Sysinfo 85Mips and 6.48 MFlops. Games like AmiQuake and AmiQuake2 do seem a tiny bit faster but I think they're mainly floating point reliant. Starstruck doesnt seem any faster than JIT1 and it's still certainly not as smooth as an 80Mhz 68060. Doom is very fast (I'm using DoomAttack), it seems to have been given a big speed boost with fps well into the 20s an above. AlienBreed 3D II used to run pretty well but it's now turbocharged and runs as well if not better than an 060.

Your sdl binary is interesting. P96 doesnt seem to work properly but the sysspeed readings are now even higher - 1100Mips but only 8.73MFlops. Sysinfo gives 139Mips and 7.04MFlops.

Did fix the keyboard issue here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0305pma2eokuu ... ix.7z?dl=0

First fix is the pandora GUI/Keyboard port, if you want arrow keys you need to press right CTRL, menu is left CTRL.
Second fix is the Chips GUI/Keyboard port that i changed a little. The 060 option won't work anymore and menu is F12.

Haemogoblin

Sat May 14, 2016 4:37 pm

I'm a little confused, when you say keyboard fix. Do you mean this attached file now used the ctrl key for the menu?

Cheers

PhillyFromNL wrote:
Trixster wrote:Cool, thanks for the upload.

Did fix the keyboard issue here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0305pma2eokuu ... ix.7z?dl=0

First fix is the pandora GUI/Keyboard port, if you want arrow keys you need to press right CTRL, menu is left CTRL.
Second fix is the Chips GUI/Keyboard port that i changed a little. The 060 option won't work anymore and menu is F12.

Return to “Gaming”