rpdom

Re: Its NOT Worth IT!!!!!

Sat May 07, 2016 6:03 pm

qaron wrote:didnt bought the pi for coding i bought it for my tv but it didnt pass not even one category in which i had in mind!! and you are believing that this sanitary napkin is the BEST! omg big issues..!
So you didn't even look to see if the Pi could do what you wanted before buying it? :roll:

You sound like the sort of person who would buy a toaster because it was cheap and then complain that it didn't make decent coffee.

Dis93

Sat May 07, 2016 6:13 pm

Well, I've been amazed what this $35 computer can do. I've only had a 3B for a month or so, managed to get a Zero recently, and I intend to buy more of both.
Would I have it as my only computer? No, but that's not what it's designed for. Can it cheaply and efficiently replace some of my other computers for specific tasks? Yes it can. Even some of the things that OP complains about, like Flash video, are doable if he had tried Ubuntu Mate for example.
And I haven't even begun to look at the things where the Pi will shine, interfacing with other things in the 'Real World' using add on boards etc.

Heater

Sat May 07, 2016 6:33 pm

qaron,

No sure why I'm bothering to answer this nonsense but here we go:
ok im confused, so you are telling me that 8 million piss were bought this crap for learning coding and programming with a platform slower than death itself
Yes, you are confused. At the time the first Pi was launched similar ARM boards were more like 200 dollars. I had just then been searching around for such things.

Yes, the Pi was and is a cheap platform for learning plus it has features that encourage this that a PC does not. GPIO, SPI, PWM, UART etc.
... you know that most people have single core pcs in their houses for exactly the same experiments...
Yep, perhaps a lot do. Then again a lot do not. Used to be one family PC that kids were not allowed to start hacking software and hardware on because busting it was too expensive. Besides they are big hulking ugly boxes that don't fit where we want them.
...my old pc is more compatible in every category than this crap. it can actualy run popcorn time 32bit!! can you imagine that?? no kodi no plex no popcorn time plugin etc
Like I said, you don't want a computer for programming, you want a TV. Fair enough, get a TV.
..so tell me how much more for a cpu 32bit instead of this ARM crap?? my problem was that this arm architecture is incompatible with everything!! and i mean everything!!! how mush your boss paid these guys to tell suck BS i wonder!!!
Odd you should say that. The ARM architecture is used by billions of embedded devices, large and small, all over the planet. That's before we start talking about phones, TVs etc.

Do try to keep up with reality.
...man you ve got issues..
Given the illiterate, nonsensical, vulgar, rant that was your opening post I would suggest you review that statement.
... i didnt bought the pi for coding i bought it for my tv ...
As I suspected. You bought a microscope when you wanted a TV. Now you blame the microscope for not being a TV.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

jahboater

Sat May 07, 2016 7:02 pm

qaron wrote:
so tell me how much more for a cpu 32bit instead of this ARM crap??
The ARM is 32 bit and always has been (well since about 1985).
The Pi3 you should have bought is actually 64 bit, but the Raspbian OS is still 32 bits for now.
Pi4 8GB (Raspberry Pi OS 64-bit), Pi4 4GB, Pi4 2GB, Pi1 Rev 1 256MB, Pi Zero

blaablaaguy

Sat May 07, 2016 7:33 pm

The pi is not a desktop. Its aim is to teach people electronics and programming. It is not for people like you. Get something that runs windows and is encased in a shiny plastic box instead.
This signature intentionally left blank.

Heater

Sat May 07, 2016 7:49 pm

blaablaaguy,
It is not for people like you.
I suspect you are right. It's a lost cause.

But we could be optimistic. Perhaps qaron will one day get bored with watching TV. In his bordom he might start to think... "If I could hook some cheap little computer up to some gadget I have here I could write some code and control it myself, I could control it from the internet, I could do all kind of interestnig things, what fun that would be." Then... "Oh, can't do that with my TV...but I have this slow old Pi here somewhere, that would do it".

Perhaps, optimistically speaking, qaron might be just the person the Pi is intended for. An empty mind waiting for curiosity to bite.

Or perhaps not.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

fruitoftheloom

Sat May 07, 2016 9:12 pm

Baloney, Poppycock and Balderdash....
The information is out there....you just have to let it in.

My other Linux machines are a ChromeBox & Intel CoreDuo Desktop

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun May 08, 2016 12:09 am

banned qaron for being a troll. he has had his say, everybody is entitled an opinion. But clearly he is one of the worst examples of the "gimme instant gratification" sort of youth. uninformed and bigmouthed, with very poor language skills. good riddance to him...

rzusman

Sun May 08, 2016 2:22 am

I’ve LOVE to buy a Mac Pro for $1,500!

As for the OP, just because you’re clueless, that doesn’t mean that everyone else is, too...

skspurling

Sun May 08, 2016 4:28 am

It's a very odd rant. There are a lot of android TV boxes out there, but the Pi, even the slow original B, has had a good reputation as a media player. Then he talks about all these other packages and things that you really would do on your main PC, not a media box. I've actualy been suprised with some of the more recent packages i've found in the repository. exabgp and bwctl? That's some serious stuff there!
Still a bit put off by some of the strangeness I've seen in the opengl driver. I am sure it will get better, but I can tell it's still beta.

mnelsonhotjobs

Sun May 08, 2016 4:56 am

Having a few pi devices and a set top droid box running Kodi I can tell you that you are much better off just getting a Minix or something similar. Yeah, not as cheap as the pi, but a much better set top box. Like others here have said, pi is a box for "makers". You can do a LOT with IOT devices these days. Those GPIO pins are all too often wasted on people who just want a desktop replacement or set top box and I don't get it. Not to knock people who know the limitations and just like to push the hardware to the max because, well "they CAN" and I appreciate that, but really if you just want something that works for entertainment, get something else. The pi is more for the "duino" crowd who want to make custom hardware/software. The only sort of "out of the box" function I like pis for are security cameras (motioneyeos). Next up with some customization would be a digital music player pi zero connected to my FIIO over USB. Not quite out of the box though because then you start to need an interface to choose songs or playlists. For my set top box I have a minx x7 (old) and am looking into the newer units to upgrade but haven't even felt the need to do that yet (the x7 still runs Kodi and streams in HD so....I really just want to make sure the newer ones have better digital surround sound processing/options before I spend the money).

Ongelma

Sun May 08, 2016 6:52 am

What a moron.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sun May 08, 2016 7:53 am

mnelsonhotjobs wrote:Having a few pi devices and a set top droid box running Kodi I can tell you that you are much better off just getting a Minix or something similar. Yeah, not as cheap as the pi, but a much better set top box. Like others here have said, pi is a box for "makers". You can do a LOT with IOT devices these days. Those GPIO pins are all too often wasted on people who just want a desktop replacement or set top box and I don't get it. Not to knock people who know the limitations and just like to push the hardware to the max because, well "they CAN" and I appreciate that, but really if you just want something that works for entertainment, get something else. The pi is more for the "duino" crowd who want to make custom hardware/software. The only sort of "out of the box" function I like pis for are security cameras (motioneyeos). Next up with some customization would be a digital music player pi zero connected to my FIIO over USB. Not quite out of the box though because then you start to need an interface to choose songs or playlists. For my set top box I have a minx x7 (old) and am looking into the newer units to upgrade but haven't even felt the need to do that yet (the x7 still runs Kodi and streams in HD so....I really just want to make sure the newer ones have better digital surround sound processing/options before I spend the money).
I agree that there are some good set top boxes out there, that are better than the Pi, but with Kodi, I think the the Pi is fine for most people (and a hell of a lot have been bought just for that).

I also think the the Pi is NOT for the the Arduino crowd, its a VERY different device. It IS a desktop PC, if you want it to be, lots of people use them like that.

9M sales, not everyone is a qaron. Thankfully.

But locking this thread anyway, it has run its course.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

Return to “Off topic discussion”