LORDSANTAENGLISH

windows xp luna theme in jessie

Mon May 02, 2016 5:56 am

hello, I was curious about something: raspbian jessie seems to have some sort of theme/skin applied to it. It's a pretty simple and basic look that appears to have various graphics applied in little subtle ways, so a basic skin of sorts.
I've been looking around, and I found instructions on stuff like how to replace the raspberry in the menu button, how to rename "menu" to "start", etc, but in the end, this just gives it a windows 95-ish feel.
I'm most comfortable with a windows looking environment, so my question is this: is there some way to change the skin, so it looks like this?

I'd also love to be able to rename the "wastebasket" to "recycle bin" if someone knows how to do that.

thanks for your time, sorry, I wouldn't be asking this if google hadn't failed me horribly on this.

karrika

Re: windows xp luna theme in jessie

Mon May 02, 2016 9:36 am

You could Google:
Change in Appearance - LXDE to look like Windows XP

LXDE is lightweight so a trade off is the user needs to put some effort into getting LXDE to look like how ever that users preferences are.

LORDSANTAENGLISH

Mon May 02, 2016 3:18 pm

karrika wrote:You could Google:
Change in Appearance - LXDE to look like Windows XP

LXDE is lightweight so a trade off is the user needs to put some effort into getting LXDE to look like how ever that users preferences are.
thanks for the suggestion, your suggestion led here: http://forum.lxde.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31112
literally, the only search result with any real relevance.
so, that page was...completely useless to me. Someone asked in 2010 (six goddamn years ago) about a windows xp theme, and nothing got done.
And I have no clue how to do it myself, I'm a complete noob to this.
Thanks again for trying to help, but zilcho. unless you know of a place where someone did a complete win xp theme for it. I'll take any win xp theme someone made, as long as it is xp.

Is there at least an easy and non-recode the world-way of adding a boot splash screen? like an image that covers up all the code crap that appears at first, like windows does with its boot screens.

Rive

Mon May 02, 2016 3:49 pm

LORDSANTAENGLISH wrote:hello, I was curious about something: raspbian jessie seems to have some sort of theme/skin applied to it. It's a pretty simple and basic look that appears to have various graphics applied in little subtle ways, so a basic skin of sorts.
I've been looking around, and I found instructions on stuff like how to replace the raspberry in the menu button, how to rename "menu" to "start", etc, but in the end, this just gives it a windows 95-ish feel.
I'm most comfortable with a windows looking environment, so my question is this: is there some way to change the skin, so it looks like this?

I'd also love to be able to rename the "wastebasket" to "recycle bin" if someone knows how to do that.

thanks for your time, sorry, I wouldn't be asking this if google hadn't failed me horribly on this.
You can change the desktop, start menu, text, colors, taskbar, etc to whatever you want. To change the "trash" name is abit more difficult though.

You can view the hidden folders in Jessie via file manager, and access the .desktop folder and change the names of the desktop icons using:

Code: Select all

gksu pcmanfm
This is Jessie desktop (notice the different "Start Menu" icons):
(I also enabled the default lxde screen locking capability (lxlock) like used in Windows via keyboard)
viewtopic.php?p=952371#p952371

fullscreen: http://s31.postimg.org/p73me40uz/2016_0 ... _scrot.png
DNPNWO

LORDSANTAENGLISH

Fri May 06, 2016 8:05 am

Rive wrote:
LORDSANTAENGLISH wrote:hello, I was curious about something: raspbian jessie seems to have some sort of theme/skin applied to it. It's a pretty simple and basic look that appears to have various graphics applied in little subtle ways, so a basic skin of sorts.

You can change the desktop, start menu, text, colors, taskbar, etc to whatever you want. To change the "trash" name is abit more difficult though.

You can view the hidden folders in Jessie via file manager, and access the .desktop folder and change the names of the desktop icons using:

gksu pcmanfm
This is Jessie desktop (notice the different "Start Menu" icons):
(I also enabled the default lxde screen locking capability (lxlock) like used in Windows via keyboard)
viewtopic.php?p=952371#p952371

fullscreen: http://s31.postimg.org/p73me40uz/2016_0 ... _scrot.png
thank you so very much for your reply.
1: would you, or someone, mind please telling me exactly what is involved in renaming the "trash" folder?
2: thanks so much for the link, but I'm not sure which part explains where how you changed the start buttons/themes? I tried searching for "start" throughout the thread, but this was ultimately unhelpful? sorry. I really appreciate the link, and I am SO glad that you know what you're doing, and I hope with a bit of patience, you'll be able to help me get my windows theme going.

Rive

Fri May 06, 2016 2:44 pm

1: would you, or someone, mind please telling me exactly what is involved in renaming the "trash" folder?
2: thanks so much for the link, but I'm not sure which part explains where how you changed the start buttons/themes?
1. see: http://askubuntu.com/questions/240431/i ... sh-to-crap

2. there is a wallpaper and menu directory, add your own custom stuff to that directory (or change directories to whatever you want). To edit the directories I use file manager, and then give myself root priviledges on that specific folder using this (once you are in the folder you want to modify, click "Tools", then 'run command in current folder')

command:

gksu pcmanfm
Wallpaper dir:

/usr/share/wallpapers
To change desktop wallpaper, right click on desktop, select 'desktop preferences', and navigate to it via the 'walpaper' selector.

To change menu text or icon:

/usr/share/raspberrypi-artwork/
The default for many applications cannot be changed, but you can change the default icon to whatever you want it to be, by renaming your new custom default icon 'raspitr' (icon needs to be a ".png")

To change, right click on Menu, select 'menu settings', navigate to icon, and customize caption (text)

To change colors, font, etc

menu/preferences/appearance settings
DNPNWO

Return to “Beginners”