atomickarma

Re: Raspberry Pi 3 Bluetooth Setup

Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:15 pm

No, Wi-Fi doesn't seem to work either. I had feared a fault, but wasn't certain as have never had any real success with BT on my earlier models (more than with this though).

mastermushi

Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:20 pm

Wifi works perfectly

mastermushi

Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:21 pm

if I use
sudo ls -l /sys/kernel/debug/bluetooth

Then I do not see the device...

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~ $ sudo ls -l /sys/kernel/debug/bluetooth
total 0
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Apr 14 21:34 l2cap
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Apr 14 21:34 l2cap_le_default_mps
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Apr 14 21:34 l2cap_le_max_credits
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Apr 14 21:34 rfcomm
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Apr 14 21:34 rfcomm_dlc
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Apr 14 21:34 sco

OKAY! After five reboots i have finally found BT device!! That was the weirdest weird!! Someone in hell has a contract with RPI engineers! :twisted:

gizmo2000

Tue May 03, 2016 6:57 am

hamdy.aea wrote:now it works fine for me. I readed the bluetoothctl help. There i found the way to remove all the devices then i scanned again. I found my wireless speakers. i did a connect xx:xx:xx:xx not a pair and in raspbian I switched off the Analog speakers.
I used this to get my bluetooth keyboard and it works, but I have to redo it every time I reboot, not sure why

rgammans

Tue May 03, 2016 7:28 pm

Since this is currently the top google hit, I'd like to remind people that rfkill can also disable the device (it's what I found).

$ sudo rfkill list
0: hci0: Bluetooth
        Soft blocked: no
        Hard blocked: no
Is what you shoudl, see but if if hci0 turns up as soft-blocked you won't be able to scan

$ sudo rfkill unblock 0

Should fix it, the only additional issue here is you need to make sure the rfkill tool is installed like so

$ sudo apt-get install rfkill
Hope this helps other who might have this problem/

dark3l33t

Fri May 06, 2016 4:57 am

Have a look here, tutorial worked perfect for me and i have to experience in bluetooth.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/bluet ... erry-pi-3/

nevpereira

Sat May 07, 2016 6:06 pm

All: It appears some early version of the RPI3 may need a firmware update for the Bluetooth hardware to work. Like others on this thread, i have experienced the same problems including the failed install of the bluez-firmware and bluetoothctl showing no default controller.

This is the process that fixed it in my case:

Step 1 - remove all bluetooth sofware from the RPI3 and reboot

sudo apt-get remove bluez-firmware pi-bluetooth blueman
sudo reboot

Step 2 - Perform a RPI3 firmware upgrade as documented here (use Google translate from the German if needed):

http://raspberrypiguide.de/howtos/raspberry-pi-firmware-update/

Instructions duplicated below

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install git
sudo wget -O https://raw.github.com/Hexxeh/rpi-update/master/rpi-update / usr / bin / rpi-update && sudo chmod + x / usr / bin / RPI update
sudo update-rpi

Allow the firmware update script to complete - you should get a successfully completed message.

sudo reboot

Step 3 - reinstall bluetooth software

sudo apt-get install pi-bluetooth
sudo apt-get install blueman

The bluez-firmware is installed automatically by pi-bluetooth - you should no longer get an error with the bluetooth modem uart being initialized.

Step 4 - verify the Bluetooth uart was initialized.

sudo bluetoothctl
list

Enjoy.

Boomer

Mon May 09, 2016 8:38 pm

OMG, will try this ASAP. If this works, you will be my hero!!

Boomer
nevpereira wrote:All: It appears some early version of the RPI3 may need a firmware update for the Bluetooth hardware to work. Like others on this thread, i have experienced the same problems including the failed install of the bluez-firmware and bluetoothctl showing no default controller.

This is the process that fixed it in my case:

Step 1 - remove all bluetooth sofware from the RPI3 and reboot

sudo apt-get remove bluez-firmware pi-bluetooth blueman
sudo reboot

Step 2 - Perform a RPI3 firmware upgrade as documented here (use Google translate from the German if needed):

http://raspberrypiguide.de/howtos/raspb ... re-update/

Instructions duplicated below

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install git
sudo wget -O https://raw.github.com/Hexxeh/rpi-updat ... rpi-update / usr / bin / rpi-update && sudo chmod + x / usr / bin / RPI update
sudo update-rpi

Allow the firmware update script to complete - you should get a successfully completed message.

sudo reboot

Step 3 - reinstall bluetooth software

sudo apt-get install pi-bluetooth
sudo apt-get install blueman

The bluez-firmware is installed automatically by pi-bluetooth - you should no longer get an error with the bluetooth modem uart being initialized.

Step 4 - verify the Bluetooth uart was initialized.

sudo bluetoothctl
list

Enjoy.

Douglas6

Mon May 09, 2016 8:44 pm

Note that update-rpi does not exist, and rpi-update is not recommended.

tannenba

Tue May 10, 2016 12:16 am

Finally got it all going with Audacious, Pulse Audio Volume Control, and Bluezman (Did not have to update firmware, using Debian Jessie and the Pi3 out of the box. I do update Jessie at least once a week.). Had questions at first, but finally the light went on. Note: Once it show you are paired and trusted, you have to tell it to connect. My question is this: I have it running with bluetooth to my Vizio sound bar. I have a music directory on the SD card for the Pi, so accessing the music should be smooth. It still gets a stutter during playing of the music. I have nothing else using bluetooth in the house, only the speaker system. Anyone else seen this when playing to a bluetooth speaker from the Pi? Wondering if it is because I have a LAMP server and UPS monitor running on the same Pi?
Last edited by tannenba on Wed May 11, 2016 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

smilliken

Wed May 11, 2016 2:37 am

silenced wrote:
frankymusic wrote:Hi all,
I received my Rpi 3 today, together with a BT keyboard "ultron"...

hcitool scan delivers the BT address of my keyboard (20:73:AB:00:0D:C3).

Until "agent on" and "default-agent" everything runs as expected, but...
... the "pair" (together with the address of that keyboard) always says:
20:73:AB:00:0D:C3 not available...

Does anybody get an idea?

Thanks in advance
Frank
Do try the following:

~~~~
• sudo bluetoothctl
• agent on
• default-agent
• scan on
• pair xx:xx:xx:xx:xx (device id)

(if asked for a "PIN code" -> enter that "PIN code" on your bluetooth keyboard and press ENTER on the bluetooth keyboard)

• trust xx:xx:xx:xx:xx (if not asked for a pin code this may work too)
• connect xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
~~~~

That's how I got my bluetooth keyboard with integrated mousepad running. (This one: http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00GHO9DJW (not available for sale anymore.))
I've tried all of the above in this post and the thread with no luck. It pairs, trusts, but says it is not connected. I've tried the GUI also and get the same result.
Raspberry Pi 2 B, 7" Raspberry Pi Touchscreen
Raspberry Pi 3, PiPhat, Pi Zero W

Douglas6

Wed May 11, 2016 2:50 am

In bluetoothctl, what is the response to 'connect <bdaddr>'? What is the response to (in bluetoothctl)' 'info <bdaddr>'?

tannenba

Wed May 11, 2016 2:54 am

Try this to get it running: https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/bluet ... erry-pi-3/ What works for audio should work for the keyboard. I was getting device not available till I did the agent on and the default agent. After it pairs and is trusted, you have to tell it to connect. I find my audio has to be connected each time I bring the Pi up.

Douglas6

Wed May 11, 2016 3:02 am

'default-agent' is not required.

tannenba

Wed May 11, 2016 3:06 am

Douglas6 wrote:'default-agent' is not required.
Good to know.

smilliken

Wed May 11, 2016 3:33 am

Douglas6 wrote:In bluetoothctl, what is the response to 'connect <bdaddr>'? What is the response to (in bluetoothctl)' 'info <bdaddr>'?
Both say it can't connect to t <bdaddr>

Douglas6

Wed May 11, 2016 3:59 am

That's odd. Are you replacing <bdaddr> with the actual Bluetooth device address of your paired device?

smilliken

Wed May 11, 2016 4:04 am

Douglas6 wrote:That's odd. Are you replacing <bdaddr> with the actual Bluetooth device address of your paired device?
yes. I connected the device to my laptop within seconds. So I checked which packages were installed on my laptop and compared to my Pi 3. Found one package not installed on the Pi 3, so I added it and all connected in seconds. I can't remember which package, but will check and edit the post

Douglas6

Wed May 11, 2016 4:07 am

OK. The newer Raspbian distros include everything needed to connect with bluetoothctl.

tannenba

Thu May 12, 2016 7:42 pm

tannenba wrote:Finally got it all going with Audacious, Pulse Audio Volume Control, and Bluezman (Did not have to update firmware, using Debian Jessie and the Pi3 out of the box. I do update Jessie at least once a week.). Had questions at first, but finally the light went on. Note: Once it show you are paired and trusted, you have to tell it to connect. My question is this: I have it running with bluetooth to my Vizio sound bar. I have a music directory on the SD card for the Pi, so accessing the music should be smooth. It still gets a stutter during playing of the music. I have nothing else using bluetooth in the house, only the speaker system. Anyone else seen this when playing to a bluetooth speaker from the Pi? Wondering if it is because I have a LAMP server and UPS monitor running on the same Pi?
Resolved or know what it is...It's apcupsd polling the ups. Does it every 60 sec (polling interval). Stopped the service apcupsd and stuttering gone. Don't know any way around this and still have it function as a monitor to my ups.

jivex5k

Thu May 12, 2016 7:51 pm

Has anyone had success connecting more than a single bluetooth speaker? I get the first one going just fine, but the second one gives me an "unable to select SEP" error in the system log and won't connect.

adenin

Sat May 14, 2016 7:41 pm

Douglas6 wrote:You COULD try running the Bluetooth daemon in 'experimental' mode. That adds some BLE services
Hello, how to do that? Some change in configuration for experimental mode is needed?

I have just installed Jessie with all updates and upgrades on RPi3 and MX2 behaves still the same, paired correctly, but not recognised as HID - mouse

thanks

spl23
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sat May 14, 2016 8:16 pm

The Logitech MX2 is a Bluetooth Smart (otherwise known as BTLE) device; this is a recent extension to the Bluetooth standard, and I've not yet been able to successfully connect a similar Logitech mouse to the Pi with the new Bluetooth UI.

Support for BTLE is on the to-do list; the hardware ought to support it, but the BlueZ stack treats BTLE devices differently from traditional devices, and the top-level client apps (mine included) don't seem to like what it does.

For the time being, I doubt you will be able to pair that particular mouse; we might be able to add support for it in a future release when we've done more investigation into BTLE.

timbot

Sun May 15, 2016 5:42 am

Have a fix for the hcitool "Device is not available: No such device"

Check your file /boot/config.txt for an entry like

dtoverlay=pi3-disable-bt 
make sure this line is commented out by adding a # at the beginning of the line. If it is not commented out this line will disconnect the bluetooth from the UART and connect the UART with GPIO pins instead. It fixed the problem many of you are describing for me, hope it does for you too!

adenin

Sun May 15, 2016 7:07 am

spl23 wrote:The Logitech MX2 is a Bluetooth Smart (otherwise known as BTLE) device; this is a recent extension to the Bluetooth standard, and I've not yet been able to successfully connect a similar Logitech mouse to the Pi with the new Bluetooth UI.

Support for BTLE is on the to-do list; the hardware ought to support it, but the BlueZ stack treats BTLE devices differently from traditional devices, and the top-level client apps (mine included) don't seem to like what it does.

For the time being, I doubt you will be able to pair that particular mouse; we might be able to add support for it in a future release when we've done more investigation into BTLE.
thanks for clarification, though I am not happy about that :(

I have also problem to pair another multi-device hid: bluetooth keyboard - seems it is the same case (logitech k480 - can't find specs
what BT version does it use; pairing ends with "Failed to add device" )
*EDIT: Actually, it went without any problem when bluetoothctl was used. logitech k480 works - it probably uses older BT 2.0 standard.
So the gui app ( bluetooth icon -> "Setup New Device..." ) did not work properly for me.

both of these BT devices work flawlessly on low-end android devices (~two years old), so I expected that they will work with
the new RPi3 too ...

Return to “Troubleshooting”