socaltiltrotor
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:31 am

SSH question

Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:39 am

I am using a RPi3 and have it connected to my Macbook. I am attempting to SSH into it and have created the keys on my computer however when I use the SSH [email protected] it asks for a password. My question is what password is it looking for?

ssh [email protected]
Password:
Password:
Password:
Permission denied (publickey,keyboard-interactive).

Thanks for any help

User avatar
Pilosopong Tasyo
Posts: 116
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:43 am
Location: /root

Re: SSH question

Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:22 am

socaltiltrotor wrote:...when I use the SSH [email protected] it asks for a password. My question is what password is it looking for?
The password of the user 'pi' i.e., raspberry (default; if you haven't change it yet).

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... e/users.md
Give a man a ghoti and he'll eat for a day; teach him how to ghoti and he'll eat for life. Ghoti?! - http://i.imgur.com/mAfBUdi.png
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way - http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

socaltiltrotor
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:31 am

Re: SSH question

Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:46 pm

Well, that is what I thought as well, however it is not working. I must have changed it somehow; if I reinstall Jessie will it reset it back to raspberry?

Thanks again for the help!

stderr
Posts: 2178
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:29 pm

Re: SSH question

Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:54 pm

socaltiltrotor wrote:Well, that is what I thought as well, however it is not working. I must have changed it somehow; if I reinstall Jessie will it reset it back to raspberry?
Is the system headless? Can it be not headless for just long enough to get the ssh up and running? When you ssh in, try:

ssh -vvv [email protected]

and see what happens. The -vvv will give you a ton of stuff as each aspect of ssh is attempted. Fewer of the -v will just mean less of that. The use of the name.local will attempt to use zeroconf to access the pi, are you sure that you are trying to connect to the pi and not something else? Don't just give up immediately and reinstall, whatever the problem is, it will likely be the same afterwards since the passwd isn't going to magically change.

jahboater
Posts: 5478
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:38 pm
Location: West Dorset

Re: SSH question

Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:04 pm

socaltiltrotor wrote:I am using a RPi3 and have it connected to my Macbook. I am attempting to SSH into it and have created the keys on my computer however when I use the SSH [email protected] it asks for a password. My question is what password is it looking for?
If you have created the keys then you can use ssh-copy-id [email protected] to copy them onto the Pi. It will ask you for user "pi"'s password when you do this. After that you need not give the password for ssh and scp.
"We are in the beginning of a mass extinction, and all you can talk
about is money and fairy tales of eternal economic growth."
- Greta Thunberg

Return to “Troubleshooting”