cjan
Posts: 811
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 12:00 am

Re: Tutorial: Compile VLC with HW acceleration - Jessie, RPi

Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:24 am

gkreidl wrote:
cjan wrote:one question,

SDL --vout : software YUV SDL output, so which video codec using?
Selected automatically by VLC.
ok, try vlc --vout sdl 720p.mp4 and it work. which codec?

gkreidl
Posts: 6275
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:07 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Tutorial: Compile VLC with HW acceleration - Jessie, RPi

Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:59 am

cjan wrote:
gkreidl wrote:
cjan wrote:one question,

SDL --vout : software YUV SDL output, so which video codec using?
Selected automatically by VLC.
ok, try vlc --vout sdl 720p.mp4 and it work. which codec?
Open the message window and watch the messages. You will also see a lot of error messages (lost frames, it's not perfect).
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

cjan
Posts: 811
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 12:00 am

Re: Tutorial: Compile VLC with HW acceleration - Jessie, RPi

Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:56 am

gkreidl wrote:Open the message window and watch the messages. You will also see a lot of error messages (lost frames, it's not perfect).
play about 5 min, perform very well no error messages except ' Failed to set on top '.
btw, had build ffmpeg --enable-mmal, was it matter ?

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~/Downloads $ LC_ALL=C vlc --vout sdl videoplayback.mp4 
VLC media player 2.2.2 Weatherwax (revision 2.2.2-0-g6259d80)
[018fb250] core libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
[6f20acc8] core vout display error: Failed to set on top
^Cpi @Rpi2:~/Downloads $ 

RandyOo
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:16 am

Re: Tutorial: Compile VLC with HW acceleration - Jessie, RPi

Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:12 pm

I followed the tutorial and got it working, but after enabling the new (beta) OpenGL driver, it no longer worked, until I changed the preferences to use OpenGL as the output, instead of "OpenMAX IL". Now it works nicely using OpenGL acceleration!

In other words, it might not even be necessary to compile VLC as per this tutorial, if you just install VLC from the normal Raspbian package repo, enable the beta OpenGL driver (in raspi-config), and then select OpenGL as video output in VLC. I might give it a try myself, and report back here if it works...

gkreidl
Posts: 6275
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:07 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Tutorial: Compile VLC with HW acceleration - Jessie, RPi

Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:17 pm

RandyOo wrote:I followed the tutorial and got it working, but after enabling the new (beta) OpenGL driver, it no longer worked, until I changed the preferences to use OpenGL as the output, instead of "OpenMAX IL". Now it works nicely using OpenGL acceleration!

In other words, it might not even be necessary to compile VLC as per this tutorial, if you just install VLC from the normal Raspbian package repo, enable the beta OpenGL driver (in raspi-config), and then select OpenGL as video output in VLC. I might give it a try myself, and report back here if it works...
OpenGL does NOT accelerate video!
You may get it to work with low resolution video (software decoding), but try a 720p or 1080p video and you will see that it does not work.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

nautilus27
Posts: 82
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 9:38 pm

Re: Tutorial: Compile VLC with HW acceleration - Jessie, RPi

Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:20 pm

gkreidl wrote:
nautilus27 wrote: I just tested it and you are correct. Well, you know what gkreidl? Screw these, let's code our own OpenMAX based GUI player and kick ass, WAIT FOR ME!!! I'm gonna make UI look shinier than iTunes!
You seem to have no idea how complex this is. Have a look at the omxplayer source code. And it doesn't even have an UI.
But there do exist at least three GUIs for omxplayer now. Why do you want to want to invent the wheel again?
I don't need a "shiny UI". And iTunes is one of the worst software products I've ever encountered, IMHO.
gkreidl you seem to be having trouble in spotting sarcasm. You work on that, try watching Bill Maher on YouTube.

Yeah there are some OMX player GUIs but honestly they look like 16bit applications from Win95 era with very limited capabilities. Also, what's the use of a GUI if OMX player still launches full screen and no control buttons appearing on the video?

KTWS
Posts: 75
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:01 am

Re: Tutorial: Compile VLC with HW acceleration - Jessie, RPi

Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:37 am

nautilus27 wrote:Yeah there are some OMX player GUIs but honestly they look like 16bit applications from Win95 era with very limited capabilities. Also, what's the use of a GUI if OMX player still launches full screen and no control buttons appearing on the video?
A bit of shameless self promotion here but Ubeify Media Player might be the the kind of OMXplayer GUI you're looking for. It has control buttons, even in full screen, and it doesn't look like it's from the Win95 era, despite being coded using the Tkinter Python toolkit:

Image
Image
Image
Ubeify Desktop Media Player For Raspberry Pi Zero, 1, 2 & 3
http://www.ubeify.co.uk/

gkreidl
Posts: 6275
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:07 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Tutorial: Compile VLC with HW acceleration - Jessie, RPi

Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:56 am

nautilus27 wrote:
Yeah there are some OMX player GUIs but honestly they look like 16bit applications from Win95 era with very limited capabilities. Also, what's the use of a GUI if OMX player still launches full screen and no control buttons appearing on the video?
This is complete nonsense. All (3 that I know of) omxplayer GUI programs can play videos inside a a window (or multiple windows) with a set of controls.

BTW, this is getting off topic.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

RandyOo
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:16 am

Re: Tutorial: Compile VLC with HW acceleration - Jessie, RPi

Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:12 pm

gkreidl wrote:
RandyOo wrote:I followed the tutorial and got it working, but after enabling the new (beta) OpenGL driver, it no longer worked, until I changed the preferences to use OpenGL as the output, instead of "OpenMAX IL". Now it works nicely using OpenGL acceleration!

In other words, it might not even be necessary to compile VLC as per this tutorial, if you just install VLC from the normal Raspbian package repo, enable the beta OpenGL driver (in raspi-config), and then select OpenGL as video output in VLC. I might give it a try myself, and report back here if it works...
OpenGL does NOT accelerate video!
You may get it to work with low resolution video (software decoding), but try a 720p or 1080p video and you will see that it does not work.
I actually did try with numerous HD videos, and it worked nicely on my Pi3, except for one video, which may have been encoded "high profile", with codec features not supported by hardware decoding. Anyway, even if OpenGL doesn't accelerate the decoding, it must relieve enough of the rendering burden to achieve smooth playback on the content I've tested, at least.

And by the way, I just tried using the version from the Raspbian repo, rather than my self-compiled version, and it also works nicely on HD content.

gkreidl
Posts: 6275
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:07 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Tutorial: Compile VLC with HW acceleration - Jessie, RPi

Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:41 pm

RandyOo wrote:
I actually did try with numerous HD videos, and it worked nicely on my Pi3, except for one video, which may have been encoded "high profile", with codec features not supported by hardware decoding. Anyway, even if OpenGL doesn't accelerate the decoding, it must relieve enough of the rendering burden to achieve smooth playback on the content I've tested, at least.

And by the way, I just tried using the version from the Raspbian repo, rather than my self-compiled version, and it also works nicely on HD content.
I'm not sure what you call HD content.
OpenGL cannot be faster than OpenMax, because decoding and rendering are both done on the GPU. It may be faster when rendering software decoded video though.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

RandyOo
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:16 am

Re: Tutorial: Compile VLC with HW acceleration - Jessie, RPi

Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:46 pm

gkreidl wrote:
RandyOo wrote:
I actually did try with numerous HD videos, and it worked nicely on my Pi3, except for one video, which may have been encoded "high profile", with codec features not supported by hardware decoding. Anyway, even if OpenGL doesn't accelerate the decoding, it must relieve enough of the rendering burden to achieve smooth playback on the content I've tested, at least.

And by the way, I just tried using the version from the Raspbian repo, rather than my self-compiled version, and it also works nicely on HD content.
I'm not sure what you call HD content.
OpenGL cannot be faster than OpenMax, because decoding and rendering are both done on the GPU. It may be faster when rendering software decoded video though.
What I'm calling HD content is 720p and 1080p. (edit: after a bit more testing, it looks like only a few 1080p files play smoothly, but the vast majority of 720p work just fine)

I'm not calling it faster than OpenMax, but it's certainly a lot more convenient, and for me on my Pi3 (and possibly many others), it may be good enough. Unfortunately, with the beta OpenGL driver enabled, OpenMax isn't possible: VLC will crash. Switching back and forth between drivers is a hassle, and I don't have a lot of free time, otherwise I'd do some benchmarks.
Last edited by RandyOo on Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gkreidl
Posts: 6275
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:07 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Tutorial: Compile VLC with HW acceleration - Jessie, RPi

Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:57 pm

RandyOo wrote:
What I'm calling HD content is 720p and 1080p.

I'm not calling it faster than OpenMax, but it's certainly a lot more convenient, and for me on my Pi3 (and possibly many others), it may be good enough. Unfortunately, with the beta OpenGL driver enabled, OpenMax isn't possible: VLC will crash. Switching back and forth between drivers is a hassle, and I don't have a lot of free time, otherwise I'd do some benchmarks.
I've got a lot of 1080i files, mostly recorded TV streams. Using software decoding it's not possible to play any of them (using SDL output, not OpenGL, which blocks about everything I'm running on my RPis).
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

cjan
Posts: 811
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 12:00 am

Re: Tutorial: Compile VLC with HW acceleration - Jessie, RPi

Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:27 am

my system mess, can not build any more.
can someone share .deb?

cjan
Posts: 811
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 12:00 am

Re: Tutorial: Compile VLC with HW acceleration - Jessie, RPi

Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:46 am

cjan wrote:my system mess, can not build any more.
can someone share .deb?
ok, enable VC4 driver and --vout gles2 can play *.avi + *.srt, not mp4 or mkv.

gkreidl
Posts: 6275
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:07 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Tutorial: Compile VLC with HW acceleration - Jessie, RPi

Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:04 am

cjan wrote:
cjan wrote:my system mess, can not build any more.
can someone share .deb?
ok, enable VC4 driver and --vout gles2 can play *.avi + *.srt, not mp4 or mkv.
If you don't set Video to "OpenMax IL" you will only get software decoding. It may work with many SD videos, especially on a RPi3, but not with full HD.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

kenerly
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:27 pm

Re: Compile VLC with HW acceleration - complete tutorial

Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:03 pm

[quote="cjan" only one problem, no-frame full screen like omxplayer, so can not control or dont know how to control? anyone can help fix this?[/quote]

Some problem for me, any fix?

Everything else is working fine, as far as playing videos.

gkreidl
Posts: 6275
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:07 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Compile VLC with HW acceleration - complete tutorial

Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:20 pm

kenerly wrote:
cjan wrote: only one problem, no-frame full screen like omxplayer, so can not control or dont know how to control? anyone can help fix this?
Some problem for me, any fix?

Everything else is working fine, as far as playing videos.
VLC has a rich set of keyboard controls (editable).
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

cjan
Posts: 811
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 12:00 am

Re: Tutorial: Compile VLC with HW acceleration - Jessie, RPi

Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:21 am

ok, mess up again

VLC media player 2.2.2 Weatherwax (revision 2.2.2-0-g6259d80)
[004e2a58] core libvlc error: No plugins found! Check your VLC installation.

set all links with no luck.

scarf
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:46 pm

SMB/Samba support, window

Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:56 pm

I have a few issues i'm trying to resolve:
1.) SMB/Samba support. With the VLC in the repositories, I could just install the SMB plugin so i could open files directly from an SMB share. Trying to figure out how to compile VLC with SMB support. When i followed the guide in the first post, i added the option "--enable-smbclient" to the configure command. While the configure command was running, i saw the output "checking for SMBCLIENT... yes". However, after installing i am unable to open files from the SMB share, VLC saying things like "permission denied" (these were the same errors received when the SMB plugin wasn't installed)

2. Window. When i play a video, the VLC window disappears and so I can't easily use any of the playback controls or access the VLC options. This is what you mean by "overlay"? Isn't there a way to make it fit in the window so it is usable? Also in this mode, for videos that are not the size of my screen, instead of black bars added to the sides (or top/bottom) of the video, i can see the Raspberry Pi desktop and other windows that are in that area

gkreidl
Posts: 6275
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:07 pm
Location: Germany

Re: SMB/Samba support, window

Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:09 am

scarf wrote:I have a few issues i'm trying to resolve:
1.) SMB/Samba support. With the VLC in the repositories, I could just install the SMB plugin so i could open files directly from an SMB share. Trying to figure out how to compile VLC with SMB support. When i followed the guide in the first post, i added the option "--enable-smbclient" to the configure command. While the configure command was running, i saw the output "checking for SMBCLIENT... yes". However, after installing i am unable to open files from the SMB share, VLC saying things like "permission denied" (these were the same errors received when the SMB plugin wasn't installed)

2. Window. When i play a video, the VLC window disappears and so I can't easily use any of the playback controls or access the VLC options. This is what you mean by "overlay"? Isn't there a way to make it fit in the window so it is usable? Also in this mode, for videos that are not the size of my screen, instead of black bars added to the sides (or top/bottom) of the video, i can see the Raspberry Pi desktop and other windows that are in that area
1) I have mounted all samba shares to local directories (for different reasons).
2) Yes, that is the overlay method; and if the video doesn't fit the screen the desktop or parts of the player will shine through.

If you want to have a player that combines the overlay method with true windows, get my omxplayerGUI (or some of the other GUIs for omxplayer).
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

cjan
Posts: 811
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 12:00 am

Re: Tutorial: Compile VLC with HW acceleration - Jessie, RPi

Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:49 pm

off topic, maybe?
found this, libav.git openmax Rpi supported.
https://git.libav.org/?p=libav.git

InunoTaishou
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:10 pm

Re: Tutorial: Compile VLC with HW acceleration - Jessie, RPi

Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:57 pm

Hello,
I followed all the instructions in the first post and vlc is working. OpenMAX IL video output worked and did display video perfectly but it covered up the controls for vlc so I used Simple DirectVideo (I believe that's what it's called). Now, the only thing that's not working is trying to seek/skip forward/backward. The video will not display on the screen, but the audio works.

Anyone else had this issue or know how to resolve it? Or possible use OpenMAX and still be able to see the controls for vlc?

gkreidl
Posts: 6275
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:07 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Tutorial: Compile VLC with HW acceleration - Jessie, RPi

Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:55 am

InunoTaishou wrote:Hello,
I followed all the instructions in the first post and vlc is working. OpenMAX IL video output worked and did display video perfectly but it covered up the controls for vlc so I used Simple DirectVideo (I believe that's what it's called). Now, the only thing that's not working is trying to seek/skip forward/backward. The video will not display on the screen, but the audio works.

Anyone else had this issue or know how to resolve it? Or possible use OpenMAX and still be able to see the controls for vlc?
SDL output only works for SD video (software codecs). OpenMAX IL overlay hides the controls; thats the way it is. In so far it is not better than omxplayer. But for omxplayer there are GUIs that play video "inside" a window (simulated) so the controls are available.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

InunoTaishou
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:10 pm

Re: Tutorial: Compile VLC with HW acceleration - Jessie, RPi

Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:16 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I love vlc so hopefully there comes a day when we have access to the controls and the video can be minimized and restored. If they can do it on android they'll do it on the RPI! At least that's what I like to believe.
I did try the omxplayerGUI and it would do what I want but it doesn't seem that I can hide the controls when I put the video in the full screen state. I'll just stick with vlc and use the key bindings to scroll through the video.

gkreidl
Posts: 6275
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:07 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Tutorial: Compile VLC with HW acceleration - Jessie, RPi

Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:19 pm

InunoTaishou wrote:Thanks for the reply.

I love vlc so hopefully there comes a day when we have access to the controls and the video can be minimized and restored. If they can do it on android they'll do it on the RPI! At least that's what I like to believe.
I did try the omxplayerGUI and it would do what I want but it doesn't seem that I can hide the controls when I put the video in the full screen state. I'll just stick with vlc and use the key bindings to scroll through the video.
Hiding the controls in omxplayerGUI ALT+h and then ALT+f to go to full screen during playback (same keyboard commands again to get back to window mode with controls).
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

Return to “Raspberry Pi OS”