jecker10

Signal Increase

Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:26 pm

Hi, I am using raspberry PI's here at work as a camera system and I put 3 of them facing our hydraulic pumps in the other room. We would like to monitor them but at times the signal can be low or not come through the wall right, how can I go about boosting the signal on the server PI? Can I use a signal booster in the other room to make sure the signal gets to the office? Or is there a specific wifi dongle that I should use to get a better signal? We bought the CanaKit's so it came with a wifi dongle.
Thank you,

B.Goode

Re: Signal Increase

Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:35 pm

Sidestepping your actual question...

Since they are apparently only in the next room, have you considered using a wired (ethernet) connection? Or putting a wireless hotspot or repeater in the pump room (so the cameras can still be wireless) but with wired ethernet from the hotspot to the monitoring station.

jecker10

Re: Signal Increase

Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:39 pm

I am at my desk and the cameras are through the lab and into storage so I guess 2 walls, I would be willing to look into any solution just need something that would be fairly easy to do. I have 1 server PI communicating with 2 clients and then the signal is being routed out as a wifi signal so replacing a dongle with something with a wider signal range would be ideal for me.

Return to “Networking and servers”