ronbars

Pi 3 onboard WiFi and Bluetooth not working

Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:27 am

I've been tinkering with my new Pi3 for a couple of weeks now and have yet to successfully connect to a WiFi network or a Bluetooth device. I've tried the 3/18 image of Raspbian Jessie, as well as countless sudo apt-get update, upgrade, and dist-upgrade commands. Ditto for sudo BRANCH=next rpi-update. I am currently on:

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~ $ uname -a
Linux rpi02 4.1.20-v7+ #865 SMP Mon Mar 21 18:50:16 GMT 2016 armv7l GNU/Linux
All of those commands execute successfully, but nothing seems to make the onboard WiFi work -- GUI will say "No APs found-scanning" forever and I get the following from the commandline:

[email protected]:~ $ sudo iwlist wlan0 scan
wlan0     No scan results
I tried to rule out an imcompatibility between the Pi3 and my wireless router's chipset, but I cannot get a single SSID to appear when using an Asus RT-AC3100, a Linksys E3000, a Linksys E4500, or a Linksys WRT1900ACS -- not to mention the 10 or so SSIDs floating around from neighbors' wireless networks (I've verified that I am using 2.4GHz channel 6, so it's not an issue of enabling channels 12 and 13 as has been a problem for many on the web). If I plug in a CanaKit WiFi dongle, it finds and will connect to my network right away. I am using a CanaKit 2.5A power supply and have verified that my WiFi country is set to US.

Up until a few days ago I'd not attempted to pair a Bluetooth device, but that doesn't work either. I'm able to pair my PC and a number of iOS devices to a Bluetooth keyboard that I have, but the Pi3 never sees it... it just scans away endlessly. Again, no error messages -- just doesn't find anything.

Assuming something is wrong with the Broadcom WiFi/Bluetooth chip, I did the following:

[email protected]:~ $ dmesg | grep brcm
[    6.892083] brcmfmac: brcmf_sdio_drivestrengthinit: No SDIO Drive strength init done for chip 43430 rev 1 pmurev 24
[    6.894591] usbcore: registered new interface driver brcmfmac
[    7.091751] brcmfmac: brcmf_c_preinit_dcmds: Firmware version = wl0: Dec 15 2015 18:10:45 version 7.45.41.23 (r606571) FWID 01-cc4eda9c
[    7.131614] brcmfmac: brcmf_cfg80211_reg_notifier: not a ISO3166 code
[    7.657171] brcmfmac: brcmf_cfg80211_reg_notifier: not a ISO3166 code
[    8.019118] brcmfmac: brcmf_add_if: ERROR: netdev:wlan0 already exists
[    8.019145] brcmfmac: brcmf_add_if: ignore IF event
[    8.024200] brcmfmac: power management disabled
Googling this, however, leads me to believe this is normal in that several people whose WiFi and Bluetooth are both working report seeing these messages as well.

I've not tinkered with Linux in a few years, and I am a Pi noob (I do have a wonderful Pi2 RetroPie setup though), but I have exhausted every suggestion that my endless searching has turned up. Is it possible to have a bad chip/radio/antenna, etc. but have no indication of same through OS errors/software messages other than it just not working?

jrabins

Re: Pi 3 onboard WiFi and Bluetooth not working

Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:27 pm

Regarding my raspberry 3. I was able to get the WIFI working without a problem but am having problems with bluetooth. I went through the instructions from here https://www.element14.com/community/doc ... berry-pi-3 . Everything seemed to go well with the instructions, "power, agent, scanning on" but it never listed any BT devices and I never got the BT icon next to the WIFI icon. I'm just starting to research this and have marked you post to watch. Good luck,

ronbars

Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:15 pm

Thanks for the well wishes.. I hope any suggestions I'm offered can also help you.

The thing I am finding most odd is that I can get the WiFi and Bluetooth icons both to work (the latter after installing blueman or whatever pkg it was) but neither radio finds anything. I've read that element14 doc too but unfortunately it did not solve my problem. It's as if the radios aren't working at all, but there is no indication of that from the OS or any software.

Douglas6

Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:26 pm

1. Make sure your remote devices are discoverable before trying to scan for them. Give it some time, and keep the devices close by.
2. Ensure that your Bluetooth adapter is up and running with a

hciconfig -a
command in a terminal.
3. Ensure that the Bluetooth daemon is loaded with

systemctl status bluetooth
in a terminal.

nickoala

Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:18 am

I also was unable to see any wifi scan results. What I found is, if you just go ahead and add the network configuration block to the config file:

wpa_passphrase <ssid> <passphrase> | sudo tee -a /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
Then, re-start wlan0:

sudo ifdown wlan0
sudo ifup wlan0
Wait a few seconds, and it would connect successfully (provided the ssid and passphrase are correct, of course). You can verify that by doing one of these:

ifconfig
wpa_cli -iwlan0 status
Once connected, iwlist wlan0 scan no longer returns empty results.

I still have no idea why it scanned nothing before connection. If you have to be connected before scanning gives any results, then it defeats the purpose of scanning. So, the root problem is not solved. But I want to let you know that you can still make a wifi connection. I hope that alleviates your problem a bit.

ronbars

Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:40 pm

A quick update: Canakit was kind enough to send me another RPi3 board to try and I'm happy to report that it was able to detect and connect to my wireless network on the first boot. Bluetooth is working swimmingly as well. I used the same SD card in the new unit, so it wasn't a dumb configuration issue. Looks like I just had a bad board.

Thanks very kindly to all who offered suggestions and advice!

thri-p

Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:28 pm

Hey, I have 2 boards here and both unable to scan any AP's at all. :(

How did you claim for a replacement board?

Thanks.

thri-p

Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:16 pm

Just wanted to share that I found a fix for it.

WIFI Channel 13 is not detected by the hardware. Once I switched out of channel 13, my raspberry is able to detect my AP.

:-)

dchao99

Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:04 pm

My P3 is not able to connect to channel 11 also. Even after I switch to use channel 6, it's still not as fast as my Edimax USB dongle. If you do a ping, you will see the latency is 10+ms and unstable.

sagard

Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:18 am

hi all,
i am also facing the same problem firstly on board WiFi was working but Bluetooth wasn't but now both not working.

Bluetooth problem:-
i have installed every software to setup Bluetooth on Raspberry pi 3 board but nothing works,
hciconfig and hciconfig -a doesn't print anything but Bluetooth service states its running.
also hcitool prints nothing.
also hcidev prints no such device.
blueman shows no adapter found
bluetoothctl shows no default controller

WiFi problem:-
brcmfmac driver loaded but shows incorrect driver.

please guide me through this.
thank you.

Douglas6

Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:01 pm

If hciconfig doesn't show the adapter, there's not much that can be done in user land. I would flash a new SD card with the latest Raspbian, and if that doesn't show the adapter, return your Pi3 at the place of purchase.

wvalcke

Sun May 29, 2016 9:05 am

I can confirm i have exactly the same problem as ronbars. My RPI3 at home does not work with Wifi.
I've used a RPI system we have at work, and with my SD card, and it works out of the box.
This just proves that nothing is wrong with the Linxu setup, but there is something wrong with the hardware.
I do not feel comfortable with this, as this proves there are hardware problems with RPI3 regarding wifi/bluetooth.
I asked my RPI3 reseller for an exchange, but up till now no reaction.

RBL

Tue May 31, 2016 1:01 pm

I have same problem, Bluetooth works but Wifi doesn't.
What i see when i put pointer on network icon on mainbar is "No APs found - scanning..."

RBL

Tue May 31, 2016 1:27 pm

RBL wrote:I have same problem, Bluetooth works but Wifi doesn't.
What i see when i put pointer on network icon on mainbar is "No APs found - scanning..."
I manage to make my RP3's wifi work. I wish this may help all you guys.
Go Menu-Raspberry Pi Configuration - Localisation at your raspbian.

my first setting was like below:
Locale - Ko(korean), Korea, UTF-8
Timezone - asia, seoul
Keyboard - ko
Wifi Country - Korea

After i change settings like this, wifi works after reboot
Locale - En(English), US, UTF-8
Timezone - asia, seoul (not changed)
Keyboard - ko (not changed)
Wifi Country - US

It seems that only Locale US & wifi country US works. So i think it's not the hardware problem, but some sort of settings thing.

quantum0

Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:01 pm

I had the same problem with onboard wifi, I thought it might from RPi3 hardware.
But after changing "Raspberry Pi Configuration - Localisation tab" as RBL said, my problem solved ;)

Return to “Troubleshooting”