raspaul88

Raspberry Pi 3 only one green flash

Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:16 pm

Help please.
I have brought a new raspberry pi 3 with case, power supply and SD card with NOOBs already installed.
I connected as shown on raspberrypi.org and only got one green flash. When i checked the data on the sd card i noticed that "bcm2710-rpi-3-b.dtb wasnt on the sd card but is on the newest version download of NOOBS.
I have reformatted this SD card and copied NOOBS from the extracted zip folder as shown on the sticky thread. Still only get the one green flash then nothing. I have tried two more sandisk SD cards i had and still the same thing.

Please help

BeeWarb

Re: Raspberry Pi 3 only one green flash

Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:14 pm

I have had exactly the same experience.
The Pi 3 machine starts to load and then stalls after the coloured square
is screened. I laso noticed that the micro SD card reader does not have the spring loaded toggle which was a good feature of the Pi 2 machine.
The problem is to know whether the fault lies withe the machine or the SD card?

BeeWarb

raspaul88

Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:34 pm

BeeWarb wrote:I have had exactly the same experience.
The Pi 3 machine starts to load and then stalls after the coloured square
is screened. I laso noticed that the micro SD card reader does not have the spring loaded toggle which was a good feature of the Pi 2 machine.
The problem is to know whether the fault lies withe the machine or the SD card?

BeeWarb
I dont even get a coloured square, i have nothing on my display. Just the red power LED, then one flash of the green ACT LED

townsend

Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:50 pm

I also have this problem. I had trouble believing that the SD card reader would not have that spring action - I assumed it was part of the standard operation of all sd card readers and not an optional feature. Could it be that a mess of these units left the factory with a defective reader? How are you supposed to remove the card if the Pi3 is installed in a case? If you can't push it in against the spring and have it rebound to eject it, you have to use a sharp needle and pry out each side incrementally if its in a case, because there's nothing sticking out to grab! This SURELY can't be right!

I was told to make a new image of the Jessie release to cure the rainbow screen stalling problem - I'm still working on that.
-gt-

B.Goode

Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:07 am

townsend wrote:I had trouble believing that the SD card reader would not have that spring action - I assumed it was part of the standard operation of all sd card readers and not an optional feature. Could it be that a mess of these units left the factory with a defective reader? How are you supposed to remove the card if the Pi3 is installed in a case? If you can't push it in against the spring and have it rebound to eject it, you have to use a sharp needle and pry out each side incrementally if its in a case, because there's nothing sticking out to grab! This SURELY can't be right!
Extensively discussed here - viewtopic.php?f=28&t=143712

and here - viewtopic.php?f=63&t=143443

procount

Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:52 am

On first execution of NOOBS, it will resize the partition and create new ones. This will take a while and you should see some green light activity.
On subsequent executions, you will only see 1 quick flash of the green light as it loads NOOBS into memory. This does not take long (<0.5 secs?) and thereafter NOOBS will run from ram so there will be no other green lights until you start interacting with NOOBS.
So either there is some problem preventing NOOBS loading, or the SD card is already initialised.

To check this, remove the SD card from the Pi and view it on a PC.
1. What make and size of SDcard do you have.
2. Is the reported size of the SD card by windows about the same as the full capacity, (e.g. 8GB, 16GB etc) Or is it much reduced (100's of MB?)
3. On the SD card should be a file called recovery.cmdline. If you view this file (don't change it) does it contain the word 'runinstaller'? (normally the first word on the line)

After the rainbow screen disappears, are you just seeing a blank black screen?
If yes, have you tried pressing the 1,2,3 or 4 number keys to switch the displays?
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

ChrisFisher46

Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:56 pm

Hi Guys,

I have received my RPI 3 today, and got exactly the same issue as described, Loaded NOOBS to a ScanDisk Ultra 32GB MicroSD, put the HDMI cable and a 5v - 2000MA plug, I can see the red power light, and when it first powers up theres one quick green flash.

The SD Card has 29.4GB showing with 248MB used for the NOOBS files.

I have checked the recovery.cmdline file and it contains: runinstaller quiet ramdisk_size=32768 root=/dev/ram0 init=/init vt.cur_default=1 elevator=deadline

I am new to all this hence the noobs installer...any ideas? doesn't appear to be reading the card to me but that's just a guess

Note: I have also tried an 8GB Class4 MicroSD HC card, and a Class8 Samsung MicroSD HC, and get exactly the same issues, I have also tried to create a bootable SD with OpenELEC on it as I want to use the Pi as a media sweet

Chris

Return to “Troubleshooting”