mpthompson

Raspbian "Pisces" R2 Image

Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:04 pm

I posted a new Pisces R2 image of Raspbian:

http://www.raspbian.org/PiscesImages

This doesn't have any additional features. Instead it's mostly an update of all the new versions of the packages that have been built over the last two weeks and fixes for some of the issues with the older R1 release. It should also include latest kernels provided by Hexxeh's 'rpi-update'.

BTW, fjen was kind enough to create a torrent for the older R1 image and update the wiki page. I would be appreciated if that could be done with this newer R2 image.

Mike Thompson

john.mills

Re: Raspbian "Pisces" R2 Image

Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:24 pm

Hi Mike,

That sounds great. Are you thinking of releasing a more 'complete' image anytime soon with a web browser and few more useful desktop utilities available by default?

Best regards,

John

Montala

Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:40 pm

Thought I would download the new R2 image 'in readiness', but my Chrome download manager told me that it would take 2 days, so I think I will leave it until later! :)

paaland

Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:48 pm

Montala wrote:Thought I would download the new R2 image 'in readiness', but my Chrome download manager told me that it would take 2 days, so I think I will leave it until later! :)
All the mirrors on http://raspbian.org/RaspbianMirrors should have a copy. So try the one closest to you. Check the images folder like this one: http://mirror.raspbian.paks.no/images/
Dragon 32>BBC Model B>PC>PC>PC>PC>Raspberry PI (circle complete)

ratherDashing

Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:48 pm

> fixes for some of the issues with the older R1 release

do you know which issues? I'm on R1 all apt-get'd and rpi-update'd up and wondering if it's worth it to start over again if any major platform issues were resolved (besides the network issue)

Montala

Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:57 pm

Thank you... that's a lot better, even with my appallingly slow broadband I should have it downloaded in about an hour!

mpthompson

Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:34 pm

ratherDashing wrote:do you know which issues? I'm on R1 all apt-get'd and rpi-update'd up and wondering if it's worth it to start over again if any major platform issues were resolved (besides the network issue)
The fixes involved the DHCP issue and setting up some symbolic links and permissions involving the Raspberry Pi specific video core libraries. Things you probably already have and would only impact people installing R1 for the first time.

If you do an 'rpi-update' and an 'apt-get dist-upgrade' you'll be an equivalent state as this R2 release.

Davespice
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:43 pm

Regarding the issue with LXDE having no task bar or launcher menu under the rasbian user, has that been fixed too?

fjen

Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:42 pm

Better to use a swap file instead of a parition.

Code: Select all

mkdir -p /var/cache/swap/
dd if=/dev/zero of=/var/cache/swap/swap0 bs=1M count=256
chmod 0600 /var/cache/swap/swap0
mkswap /var/cache/swap/swap0
swapon /var/cache/swap/swap0
in /etc/fstab:

Code: Select all

/var/cache/swap/swap0    none    swap    sw      0 0
vm.swappiness=0 in /etc/sysctl.conf is good too.

marsman2020

Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:49 pm

I'm not convinced vm.swappiness = 0 is the best choice for the Pi. On a system with plenty of RAM, sure. On a system with limited RAM, it's probably better to let it swap. Maybe 10 or 20 might be the sweet spot.

mpthompson

Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:10 pm

Davespice wrote:Regarding the issue with LXDE having no task bar or launcher menu under the rasbian user, has that been fixed too?
To fix this, try deleting your '~/.config' directory (or rename it to .config.save or something).

Apparently this was an upgrade issue with a new version of LXDE that was built a week or so ago and then put into our repository. I would have thought backward compatibility issues such as this would have been handled by LXDE, but I guess not.

saurabh

Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:17 am

Can you point me to some doc or script that talks about how you build this image. What are the differences from a vanilla Debian (Raspbian) debootstrap install?

mpthompson

Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:23 am

I don't have documentation on how I built this image. It was basically created with a very early version of the installer described here: http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianInstaller

It's basically the minimal install created by the installer with the LXDE and xorg packages added on as well.

With debootstrap you can create an even more minimal install than that created by the installer, but not by too much.

Return to “Raspberry Pi OS”