aoakley

A+ out of stock... everywhere?

Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:45 pm

Trying to locate a new A+ at a reasonable price. Seems to be out of stock everywhere except for a few scalpers trying to charge £20+. Was £15 only a few months ago.

Can anyone suggest a stockist please?

Also, what's going on? Without wishing to discuss the possibility of new products which may or may not be coming down the road (high risk of thread ban by mods, so please don't speculate), might it be wiser for me to just hold off for a few weeks? Might the shortage be simply due to fabrication lines being focussed on the Pi 3?

The A+ is my go-to model for maker stuff. My soldering is horrific plus it's a pain to hang a USB WiFi dongle off a Micro USB port, so the Zero is of little use to me (I've bought several to raffle off at Cotswold Jam, though). Also I like to use full-size HATs.
Andrew Oakley - Cotswold Raspberry Jam, Gloucestershire - http://www.cotswoldjam.org

evilkitty

Re: A+ out of stock... everywhere?

Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:04 pm

id suggest trying to keep a eye out for used ones, there are probably people that are swapping out A+ boards for Zeros like i did (needed the space)
id offer mine but i think US to UK shipping is a bit too high (and i may want to use it for something that needs the audio jack)
i know last June i got mine for $20.90 USD
you could ask thepihut on twitter: https://twitter.com/ThePiHut
My Pi Server: http://imgur.com/a/6xIUI | Thermostat: http://imgur.com/a/4LVnT

Raspberry Paul

Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:42 am

RS and Farnell out of stock in the UK also. Farnell has normally waited till out of stock before reordering.

The "A" has never been a great seller so presume vendors don't want to be let with out of date stock.
We do expect to produce a Raspberry Pi 3 Model A, with the Model A+ form factor, during 2016.
http://www.raspberrypaul.co.uk

fruitoftheloom

Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:04 am

aoakley wrote:Trying to locate a new A+ at a reasonable price. Seems to be out of stock everywhere except for a few scalpers trying to charge £20+. Was £15 only a few months ago.

Can anyone suggest a stockist please?

Also, what's going on? Without wishing to discuss the possibility of new products which may or may not be coming down the road (high risk of thread ban by mods, so please don't speculate), might it be wiser for me to just hold off for a few weeks? Might the shortage be simply due to fabrication lines being focussed on the Pi 3?

The A+ is my go-to model for maker stuff. My soldering is horrific plus it's a pain to hang a USB WiFi dongle off a Micro USB port, so the Zero is of little use to me (I've bought several to raffle off at Cotswold Jam, though). Also I like to use full-size HATs.
If you search previous posts, there was a report that a large order was placed around Xmas, therefore RPT have needed to re-arrange production schedules and hence why a shortage at present, just like with the ZERO, be patient is not much help, but the only realistic option...

Never heard of this outfit: https://www.reichelt.com/?LANGUAGE=EN&C ... Al8g8P8HAQ
Retired disgracefully.....

aoakley

Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:36 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:If you search previous posts, there was a report that a large order was placed around Xmas, therefore RPT have needed to re-arrange production schedules and hence why a shortage at present, just like with the ZERO, be patient is not much help, but the only realistic option...
Fair enough. I can free up an A+ from Kodi in the bedroom for a few months, and re-use that A+ for my project - it just seems a bit of a waste having a B+ or Pi 2 just to run Kodi!

By the way, you would be amazed how difficult it is to search for "A+". Firstly that string is too short (<3 chars) to be allowed for searching the forums, and secondly the plus symbol is used as a space in HTML GET queries, so if the website doesn't correctly uuencode and parse the plus, you just end up searching for "a raspberry pi" ;-) Putting quote marks round "a+" for websites with poor parsing often makes the matter worse!

Info about a bulk A+ order makes a lot of sense. If you could please point me to the exact URL of the A+ bulk order post, I'd be most interested; my forum search fu has failed.

Thanks,
Andrew Oakley - Cotswold Raspberry Jam, Gloucestershire - http://www.cotswoldjam.org

aoakley

Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:46 am

Found it:

viewtopic.php?p=892927
eupton wrote:We've suffered a bit of a success disaster with A+. It's been a steady but unspectacular seller (low hundreds of thousands) since launch, but at the tail end of last year suddenly both vendors got hit with multiple big orders (I believe from digital signage customers). I've just come back from dinner with one of the vendors: one of the topics was getting A+ back in stock. I'd expect us to build some in March for April availability.

fruitoftheloom

Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:47 am

aoakley wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote:If you search previous posts, there was a report that a large order was placed around Xmas, therefore RPT have needed to re-arrange production schedules and hence why a shortage at present, just like with the ZERO, be patient is not much help, but the only realistic option...
Fair enough. I can free up an A+ from Kodi in the bedroom for a few months, and re-use that A+ for my project - it just seems a bit of a waste having a B+ or Pi 2 just to run Kodi!

By the way, you would be amazed how difficult it is to search for "A+". Firstly that string is too short (<3 chars) to be allowed for searching the forums, and secondly the plus symbol is used as a space in HTML GET queries, so if the website doesn't correctly uuencode and parse the plus, you just end up searching for "a raspberry pi" ;-) Putting quote marks round "a+" for websites with poor parsing often makes the matter worse!

Info about a bulk A+ order makes a lot of sense. If you could please point me to the exact URL of the A+ bulk order post, I'd be most interested; my forum search fu has failed.

Thanks,
Google:

A+ site:www.raspberrypi.org
Retired disgracefully.....

Watha

Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:31 pm

Raspberry Paul wrote:RS and Farnell out of stock in the UK also. Farnell has normally waited till out of stock before reordering.

The "A" has never been a great seller so presume vendors don't want to be let with out of date stock.
We do expect to produce a Raspberry Pi 3 Model A, with the Model A+ form factor, during 2016.
The RS page for the Raspberry Pi Model A+ says "Temporarily out of stock - back order for dispatch 10/08/2016".
So... I wonder what's arriving in August? [Saunters away whistling]

W. H. Heydt

Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:26 pm

Watha wrote:
Raspberry Paul wrote:RS and Farnell out of stock in the UK also. Farnell has normally waited till out of stock before reordering.

The RS page for the Raspberry Pi Model A+ says "Temporarily out of stock - back order for dispatch 10/08/2016".
So... I wonder what's arriving in August? [Saunters away whistling]
You could order one and see what arrives...and when. I'd bet that it's placeholder for "some day but we don't know when."

Return to “General discussion”