Re: Raspberry Pi extremely slow (is GPU working?)

Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:27 pm

Hi.

I got my Raspberry pi B model. And it is really a fancy toy, but some things haven't worked out the way I expected.

Arch Linux ARM for RPi (up to date)

First of all when I do:>lspci
pcilib: Cannot open /proc/bus/pci
lspci: Cannot find any working access method. Second,Playing video just doesn't work. The processor is immediately at full capacityand the video just doesn't play. Glxgears gives me 2FPS And thirdly,not sure this is related to it but, I experience some shiver on my screen when connecting to tv via HDMI Any thoughts on what I haven't installed, did wrong? Thanks 

rew

Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:12 pm

lspci on my 'pi gives:

pcilib: Cannot open /proc/bus/pci
lspci: Cannot find any working access method.

which is the behaviour I'd expect. The raspberry pi doesn't have any PCI bus.

Implementing accelerated 3D is not yet finished. One of the reasons the foundation thought general users wouldn't yet be interested in the device. I'm afraid you'll have to wait a bit for the software to increase performance by leaps and bounds.

Similar things hold for the video playback. The CPU is a bit slow, and won't be able to decode anything bigger than about 320x200 (my rough estimate). However the GPU is a BEAST and will easily decode 1920x1080 HD video content. The thing is the GPU decodingis H264 only and has not yet been integrated in any video playing program that you might have tested.

Your TV should be connected when the raspberry pi boots. The raspberry pi reads the capabilities of the TV at boot time, and configures the GPU accordingly. At the moment this cannot (as far as I know) be reconfigured at runtime.

try:

cd /opt/vc/src/hello_pi/hello_video

make

./hello_video.bin test.h264

That should give an impression of what the 'pi is capable of.

(I THINK the hello_tirangle is a 3D demo, but it doens't work on my 'pi on the latest debian. )
Check out our raspberry pi addons: https://www.bitwizard.nl/shop/

tgoossens

Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:18 pm

Thanks! I think that answers all my questions

Cheers to you!

rubikwizard

Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:34 pm

This is good to know about the GPU being implemented in the future. Will this also improve the speed of Scratch? I have tried Scratch on the latest Debian image and it is terribly slow, to the point of being useless. The included Pacman example (amongst others) was almost unusable. Kids will not put up with this.

Jacky2k

Fri May 18, 2012 7:36 pm

Hello,

I got my Raspberry yesterday and have the same problem with the current 'Pi debian.
Is there any progress? I cannot belive that is is not possible to get the GPU running, because there are hundrets of videos on youtube showing the raspberry playing 1080p video!

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri May 18, 2012 8:25 pm

Jacky2k wrote:Hello,

I got my Raspberry yesterday and have the same problem with the current 'Pi debian.
Is there any progress? I cannot belive that is is not possible to get the GPU running, because there are hundrets of videos on youtube showing the raspberry playing 1080p video!
Use OMXPLayer to play H264 video - that will use the GPU. No other players yet use the acceleration.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“My wife said to me `...you’re not even listening`.
I thought, that’s an odd way to start a conversation.."

Jacky2k

Fri May 18, 2012 8:48 pm

Thank you very much, I will try this in a few minutes!
And there is no acceleration for the X server itself, because it so so slow that I cannot work with it. When I move a window I get 3fps maximum.

dom

Fri May 18, 2012 8:49 pm

Guest wrote:I experience some shiver on my screen when connecting to tv via HDMI 
Bit hard to tell what you mean by shiver. Can you capture it in a photo?
Some display issues covered here (perhaps config_hdmi_boost):
http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting

riderred

Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:29 pm

./hello_video.bin works for the very short big buck bunny clip, but if you download the whole movie it just hangs. I was impressed for a little bit, but not very long.

jbeale

Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:46 pm

riderred wrote:./hello_video.bin works for the very short big buck bunny clip, but if you download the whole movie it just hangs. I was impressed for a little bit, but not very long.
I believe that's just a small demo app. The R-Pi is not yet ready "out of the box" to play full 1080p movies. If that is your goal, you currently have two choices:
1) omxplayer
2) XBMC

You may also need to adjust the CPU/GPU memory split, I'm not sure.
See also: http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting# ... ery_slowly

Return to “Troubleshooting”