derhass

Re: New Open GL Driver, Bug report thread

Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:47 pm

I'm not sure what kinds of bugs are expected to be reported here. Thing is, the wiki page for the VC4 driver https://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/VC4/ already mentions conformance testing using piglet and also list a lot of stuff which is not working / incomplete. I could report a few GL issues I've encountered, but these are most likely already known, according to these sources.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove." -- Antoine de Saint Exupéry

FreakShow!

Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:27 pm

I get the black screen and my monitor tells me that the Input Signal is out of range.

Via SSH I have got this error message showing;

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~ $ sudo startx
xauth:  file /root/.Xauthority does not exist

X.Org X Server 1.17.2
Release Date: 2015-06-16
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 3.8.11-2-ARCH armv7l Raspbian
Current Operating System: Linux raspberrypi 4.1.17-v7+ #838 SMP Tue Feb 9 13:15:09 GMT 2016 armv7l
Kernel command line: [email protected] dma.dmachans=0x7f35 bcm2708_fb.fbwidth=1680 bcm2708_fb.fbheight=1050 bcm2709.boardrev=0xa21041 bcm2709.serial=0x4c1669a0 smsc95xx.macaddr=B8:27:EB:16:69:A0 bcm2708_fb.fbswap=1 bcm2709.uart_clock=3000000 bcm2709.disk_led_gpio=47 bcm2709.disk_led_active_low=0 sdhci-bcm2708.emmc_clock_freq=250000000 vc_mem.mem_base=0x3dc00000 vc_mem.mem_size=0x3f000000  dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=ttyAMA0,115200 console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline fsck.repair=yes rootwait
Build Date: 11 January 2016  01:32:44PM
xorg-server 2:1.17.2-1+rpi1 (http://www.debian.org/support)
Current version of pixman: 0.33.3
        Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
        to make sure that you have the latest version.
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
        (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
        (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.1.log", Time: Sun Feb 14 20:24:18 2016
(==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
> Warning:          Type "ONE_LEVEL" has 1 levels, but <RALT> has 2 symbols
>                   Ignoring extra symbols
Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server
(EE) glamor0: GL error: FBO incomplete: driver marked FBO as incomplete [-1]
Hopefully that is of some use to someone. I'm guessing the last line is the actual error. But it's identifying the correct screen resolution.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:10 am

derhass wrote:I'm not sure what kinds of bugs are expected to be reported here. Thing is, the wiki page for the VC4 driver https://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/VC4/ already mentions conformance testing using piglet and also list a lot of stuff which is not working / incomplete. I could report a few GL issues I've encountered, but these are most likely already known, according to these sources.
Most people here will be unaware of Eric's blog and so on, so here is a place where people can post any issues they find. They will make their way back to Eric.

If you are familiar with the work done and the current bugs, then you can make you own assessment of whether you need to post a report here.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

havenotfear

Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:10 pm

After activating the OpenGL Driver I am unable to rotate my display. Not sure if this is a bug or perhaps that setting has been change somewhere. Here is the relevant section in /boot/config.txt

Code: Select all

dtparam=audio=on
start_x=1
gpu_mem=128
core_freq=250
sdram_freq=400
over_voltage=0
display_rotate=1
dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d

dom

Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:57 pm

havenotfear wrote:After activating the OpenGL Driver I am unable to rotate my display. Not sure if this is a bug or perhaps that setting has been change somewhere. Here is the relevant section in /boot/config.txt
The firmware is no longer in charge of graphics with this driver, so config.txt settings will not work.
You may have more luck with the standard linux xrandr utilty, but it is not something I've tried.

ric96

Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:53 pm

Supertuxkart completely hangs the pi.
Oddly it used to work withe the previous builds of vc4 from (the link uses to have builds but now just links to the raspberry pi website.)http://sukzessiv.net/~gohai/vc4-buildbot/build/
My apologies for shameless YouTube Plugs...
youtube.com/sahajsarup
twitter @sahajsarup
skype srics1996
e-mail: [email protected]
Blog: http://www.geektillithertz.com/wordpress
Web: http://www.geektillithertz.com

anholt

Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:47 pm

I've enabled issue tracking on my two github repos and propagated a bunch of these bugs there. Monitor issues and whole-system crashes would go to https://github.com/anholt/linux/issues and rendering troubles would go to https://github.com/anholt/mesa/issues. Feel free to put a +1 comment on issues that affect you so I can use that for rough prioritization.

levelcrow

Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:50 am

Hey, I hope I'm not too late to report something. I don't know how to use issue tracking on Github, so perhaps someone on the forums could help me out.

After enabling the OpenGL drivers, a black border has appeared when using Files - the file explorer based on Nautilus. The black border is always present no matter what and if there is a window behind it. It is not present when the OpenGL driver is disabled. I've attached a picture of the black border.

Cheers, and thanks so much for your awesome work Eric! The Raspberry Pi becomes a more capable desktop replacement with every update...
blackborder.jpg
blackborder.jpg (51.59 KiB) Viewed 13792 times

PeterO

Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:47 am

anholt wrote:I've enabled issue tracking on my two github repos and propagated a bunch of these bugs there.
Welcome Eric, :D

PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

jamesh

Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:59 am

With drivers enabled, resizing LXterminal window results in either a massive delay or perhaps lockup.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

spl23

Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:12 pm

levelcrow wrote:Hey, I hope I'm not too late to report something. I don't know how to use issue tracking on Github, so perhaps someone on the forums could help me out.

After enabling the OpenGL drivers, a black border has appeared when using Files - the file explorer based on Nautilus. The black border is always present no matter what and if there is a window behind it. It is not present when the OpenGL driver is disabled. I've attached a picture of the black border.
This is caused by an interaction between the GTK theme and the new driver; I've seen it in a couple of other cases. The new driver exposes the "client side decoration" features of the theme, which are otherwise not shown.

If you look inside ~/.themes/PiX/gtk-3.0/gtk-contained.css, and search for the string ".csd.", this finds the cases which control client side decoration - I suspect there is a "box-shadow" set in a csd case.

As an example, I had a similar black border appearing around menus in GTK3 applications. To fix it, I changed the theme so that the section which read

.window-frame.csd.popup {
border-radius: 0;
box-shadow: 0 1px 2px rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.2), 0 0 0 1px rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.13); }

was changed to be

.window-frame.csd.popup {
border-radius: 0;
box-shadow: none; }

Try changing any other csd cases similarly until you find the one that is affecting you.

At some point, I'm going to go through the themes and find all the parts which are affected by the new driver, but it's not a high priority at the moment as it mostly works... :)

cjan

Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:30 am

new GL driver can play DVB-T SD channel very well but DVB-T HD only sound no video.
ps. DVB-T on vlc with channels.conf.

madeinbeats

Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:10 pm

I don't know if this is a bug or (just stupid / ) not, but enabling the driver on a BerryBoot SDcard causes a boot error.... There are a few lines of readout but then just a blank screen. Manually removing the "vc4-kms-v3d" line from the config file resolves it.

Hope this helps someone - I'm a noob so was about to reformat and start over.

Anocs

Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:01 pm

jamesh wrote:With drivers enabled, resizing LXterminal window results in either a massive delay or perhaps lockup.
The same happens on my on RPI3, especially with Midnight Commander running in LXterminal - when resizing - system freeze is almost instantaneous.

Additionally over HDMI on SonyTV (hdmi_group=1 (CEA)) cannot use any other resolution than 1080p. Setting 720p/576p results in booting to blank screen.

RandyOo

Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:21 am

During stability testing (maxing out the CPU), the display goes black, unless the cursor is being moved. The moment I move the mouse, the whole display is drawn, but the moment I stop moving it, the whole display goes black again.

This behavior goes away when "enable_warnings=1" is set in the config.txt, which leads me to believe that the conflict is with the thermal warning that would normally show up in the upper right corner.

EDIT: I just noticed that on the https://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/VC4/ page, it says to set "avoid_warnings=2" in /boot/config.txt, so maybe the folks responsible for raspi-config should handle this one...

acrox999

Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:32 pm

Finally got my hands on the RPi 3 today. Unfortunately, I'm one of the unlucky user that can't get his screen to work with the experimental driver.

...Until now. The Raspbian image by default boots directly to the X server. What I noticed is that whenever the Pi boots up together with an X server (directly to the graphical desktop, or even a VNC startup script), the screen will be blank with the driver enabled. So, I disabled all X on boot and my screen finally displays. No more black screen after the rainbow splashscreen.

However, overscan stopped working on my display. My previous values were completely ignored and that's actually kind of annoying. I guess you don't need overscan once you have the OGL driver running, I just have to set my TV to show in native mode and it fills the screen perfectly. Well, at least I got it to work. I confirmed it through glxgears and glxinfo. glxgears however, crashes the Pi completely after running it for a while, so I now know how unstable the driver is.

It definitely have potential but I guess we'll have to wait.

Max7

Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:03 am

So I enabled the driver and tried the test h.264 video.

Everything was green and video moved at a very slow FPS.

Very gltichy.

Syntaxerror999

Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:51 am

Im just getting a black screen and my tv loses signal. My first install (a manual updated copy of jessie) would boot into the command line but said it "couldn't attach itself to any screens" when loading rasbian. A fresh install of jessie will appear fine but go black as soon as everything is loaded. And of course goes black if set to boot to the gui.

ImpPulse

Personal experiment

Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:47 pm

Hi,

I'm working on a RPi2 with a VGA adaptor. Everything went fine.

I give a try to the new GL driver while looking into minetest.

First, black screen after the colored splash square on the VGA, then the screen where going far away down with high deformation on a HDMI TV. Things went ok after removing the bad HDMI mode and group in config.txt but can't just comment them out. Got to specifie my TV resolution.

After a nice first stress night in minetest in full screen with some lags, I tried to boost the GPU shared memory (only 64), and boum. Back to black screen, with a booted RPi. I can Fing it on the network from my phone.

After some test, I got it working with 128 for the GPU and HDMI mode 16 group 1 on the TV, no other mode did the job. I give it some more test on the VGA soon, needing it on my desktop.

Hope this will help.

Be open, touch the source.

Daim

Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:50 pm

Im in rpi 3 and each time i reboot i get a black screen while i do nothing, that means that when i move my mouse it works well but if im not moving it it doesnt work. once i open a program (lets say openaerena) it turns crazy and i can do nothing. help!!!

agor

Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:18 am

Hi.
This is my first post in the forums, and i am pretty new to the raspberry world.
I received my first pi3 five days ago so bare with me if i am asking things that have already being answered.
Amazing little machine it is...

Ok, so i succesfully installed jessie, switched to mate, installed tightvnc, then switched to x11vnc, and then enabled opengl (through raspi-config), sound works through the headphone jack.
Pretty much, i have the machine in the state i want.
However, the maximum resolution i get with opengl enabled is 1380x768 on a 1920x1080 capable monitor.
But even in that resolution when i try to play a video, the pi crashes. Maybe that's vnc related-i don't know.
So for the time being i disabled opengl to get a resolution of 1600x900 (i like to have the pi desktop in a window).
Video playback is very laggish though, even with omxplayer.
So i would like to have opengl enabled.

Maybe i am missing something here:
opengl is still being experimental, so for the time being full functionality is not available?
Having it enabled would be nice, it's crazy seeing blender work although it's not very usable.
But the video issue is a real pain. How would you go with that?

agor

Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:54 pm

UPDATE:

First of all, omxplayer does not have any problems, it plays 1920x1080 flawlessly, my bad sorry about that.

And it is a x11vnc issue, with pi connected to my monitor through hdmi can see video and hear audio, but the vnc client does not display anything...

My guess is that i need to setup fbcp?
Any hints about this would be greatly appreciated.

acrox999

Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:56 pm

agor wrote:UPDATE:

First of all, omxplayer does not have any problems, it plays 1920x1080 flawlessly, my bad sorry about that.

And it is a x11vnc issue, with pi connected to my monitor through hdmi can see video and hear audio, but the vnc client does not display anything...

My guess is that i need to setup fbcp?
Any hints about this would be greatly appreciated.
1. Absolutely no audio ever through VNC.
2. No accelerated playback/3D through VNC.
3. VNC works fine on my end, even with the driver enabled.

So it's not the driver issue (which means doesn't even belong to this thread), check your VNC configuration. You might have missed something.

C-Fu

Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:13 am

Device: Raspberry Pi 2
Monitor: 1366 x 768
Problem: rainbow screen (like during boot) from start towards finish loading the desktop, but goes away if I move the mouse, and comes back after no mouse movement.

Problem goes away if
- I disable the AA GL driver and reboot
- I use a 1080p monitor

loadbang

Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:00 pm

RPi3, on boot with drivers enabled I get a blank screen too. Just posting this for "me too" verification.

Return to “General discussion”