W9APX-RPi

Using iPad Air as a RPi monitor?

Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:17 am

Hello everyone,

I'm brand new to the Raspberry Pi as of last week. I figured out how to pair my Razer Orochi bluetooth mouse and my HP K4000 bluetooth keyboard, and it's working very well. I'm also using a 5V-8000mAh lithium ion battery back to power the Pi (I also use the included AC adapter when not using the battery), which is also working very well.

What I'm really wanting to accomplish, in order to have a truly portable set up, is to be able to use my iPad Air as a screen for the Pi, and (hopefully) connect it to the Pi via Bluetooth or WiFi if possible.

Can anyone help me, a complete Pi newbie, accomplish this? I have a very basic understanding of how the sudo command works, and also how to pair bluetooth devices. If anyone can send me links or post a tutorial here, I'd be greatly appreciative.

The ultimate goal for use of my R-Pi is to use it as a device for use with Ham Radio, perhaps as a controller for an SDR (Software-defined radio) or other radio-related projects. So, portability in the field is extremely important to me, which is why I'm seeking to use my iPad Air as a screen for the Pi.

Thanks in advance for any info/advice!

John

TheRayTracer

Re: Using iPad Air as a RPi monitor?

Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:55 am

Connect your RPi to your WiFi network, or use an Ethernet cable to connect to your router. Then you can log into your RPi using the command line from a standard PC (or iPad) using a client such as Putty.

stderr

Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:17 am

W9APX-RPi wrote:What I'm really wanting to accomplish, in order to have a truly portable set up, is to be able to use my iPad Air as a screen for the Pi, and (hopefully) connect it to the Pi via Bluetooth or WiFi if possible.
You are going to want to be able to display graphics in order to view waterfall images or whatever, I'm going to guess, so just having a text ssh by itself won't be enough. Is there a vnc type program for the iPad? I would start by getting something like that going. The goal should probably be to make the iPad as transparently look like an ordinary screen as possible. What I mean is you don't want to full screen the vnc app and not see all the pi's screen, you know, you might get scroll bars. That makes it hard to use and anything but transparent.

aBUGSworstnightmare

Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:48 am

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... ccess/vnc/ and a VNC client on your iPad should do what you want to do.

Joerg
aBUGSworstnightmare

Return to “Interfacing (DSI, CSI, I2C, etc.)”