Malman35
Posts: 425
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:51 am

How to keep the keyboard layout the same!!!

Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:01 pm

I have been VERY frustrated recently because I used to use a Japanese layout keyboard and recently I started using a keyboard with a british layout (I like the look of it better and it fits better on my desk)
Anyhow I changed the keyboard layout using Mouse and Keyboard Settings (it is found in the menu under preferences)
It worked except when I rebooted it switched back to the JP layout! I also changed it in Raspberry pi Configuration (it is found in the menu under preferences) But same thing happened!
I tried

Code: Select all

sudo raspi-config
and looked at the keyboard settings there but it was all just different models of Japanese Keyboards. It is like my rpi is got set in its memory that the keyboard is JP layout. How can I change it and keep it changed?

DirkS
Posts: 10595
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:46 pm
Location: Essex, UK

Re: How to keep the keyboard layout the same!!!

Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:06 pm

Malman35 wrote:I have been VERY frustrated recently because I used to use a Japanese layout keyboard and recently I started using a keyboard with a british layout (I like the look of it better and it fits better on my desk)
Anyhow I changed the keyboard layout using Mouse and Keyboard Settings (it is found in the menu under preferences)
It worked except when I rebooted it switched back to the JP layout! I also changed it in Raspberry pi Configuration (it is found in the menu under preferences) But same thing happened!
IIRC this was a problem with the first version of the GUI config program and should have been solved in later versions.
Try updating / upgrading.

AFAIK setting it through raspi-config should work fine.

Malman35
Posts: 425
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:51 am

Re: How to keep the keyboard layout the same!!!

Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:16 am

DirkS wrote: IIRC this was a problem with the first version of the GUI config program and should have been solved in later versions.
Try updating / upgrading.

AFAIK setting it through raspi-config should work fine.
Okay so I did

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade 
and after reboot the keyboard stayed to UK layout but only in the GUI. In the command line without the gui started it is still JP layout! How do I fix that? BTW I switched the layout in Mouse and Keyboard Settings and the gui version of Raspberry pi Configuration.
But layout settings in sudo raspi-config seems to only be for different keyboard models (I think they are all JP keyboards)

Malman35
Posts: 425
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:51 am

Re: How to keep the keyboard layout the same!!!

Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:25 am

UGGGG!!!!!! :x :x :x :x :x
IT SWITCHED BACK AGAIN!!! (in the GUI) This is so annoying trying to type only to find out that I have to change it again!!! :x
Why can't it just stay the same!!!! Someone please help me! :oops:

User avatar
DougieLawson
Posts: 40819
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:19 pm
Location: A small cave in deepest darkest Basingstoke, UK
Contact: Website Twitter

Re: How to keep the keyboard layout the same!!!

Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:01 pm

What's in your /etc/default/keyboard? My UK version has

Code: Select all

# KEYBOARD CONFIGURATION FILE

# Consult the keyboard(5) manual page.

XKBMODEL="pc105"
XKBLAYOUT="gb"
XKBVARIANT=""
XKBOPTIONS=""

BACKSPACE="guess"
Any language using left-hand whitespace for syntax is ridiculous

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
Fake doctors - are all on my foes list.

Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Malman35
Posts: 425
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:51 am

Re: How to keep the keyboard layout the same!!!

Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:02 am

DougieLawson wrote:What's in your /etc/default/keyboard? My UK version has

Code: Select all

# KEYBOARD CONFIGURATION FILE

# Consult the keyboard(5) manual page.

XKBMODEL="pc105"
XKBLAYOUT="gb"
XKBVARIANT=""
XKBOPTIONS=""

BACKSPACE="guess"
Ah ha!

Code: Select all

XKBMODEL="pc105"
XKBLAYOUT="jp"
XKBVARIANT=""
XKBOPTIONS=""

BACKSPACE="guess"
I switched it to gb like yours was. Many thanks :)

Return to “Raspberry Pi OS”