10robinho

Compute module 3 details?

Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:52 am

We saw release of RPI3 and official blog post mentioned Compute module 3 release in few months.
However, it seams that no details about CM3 were published.
Maybe somebody knows more?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Compute module 3 details?

Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:59 am

10robinho wrote:We saw release of RPI3 and official blog post mentioned Compute module 3 release in few months.
However, it seams that no details about CM3 were published.
Maybe somebody knows more?
No details yet.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

edje9

Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:54 am

Will it be size and pin compatible?

10robinho

Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:55 am

edje9 wrote:Will it be size and pin compatible?
I'm sure it will be as Foundation always take good care about backwards compatibility.

6by9

Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:18 am

I can't say much as that's not my role, but I have one and can confirm that it is exactly the same form factor, and I wasn't warned against plugging a CM1 into the board.

Seeing as the Director of Software at Pi Towers is also one of the guys behind Slice (the media player using the Compute Module), he has a significant vested interest in being able to upgrade Slice with CM3, and hence will want backward compatibility.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

10robinho

Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:21 am

6by9 wrote:I can't say much as that's not my role, but I have one and can confirm that it is exactly the same form factor, and I wasn't warned against plugging a CM1 into the board.
Can you tell us about memory on CM3? Is it 4GB NAND? Is there anything else you can share? :)

edje9

Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:36 pm

Thank you for your quick response on my question.

6by9 wrote:
I can't say much as that's not my role, but I have one and can confirm that it is exactly the same form factor, and I wasn't warned against plugging a CM1 into the board.

Seeing as the Director of Software at Pi Towers is also one of the guys behind Slice (the media player using the Compute Module), he has a significant vested interest in being able to upgrade Slice with CM3, and hence will want backward compatibility.

6by9

Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:03 pm

10robinho wrote:Can you tell us about memory on CM3? Is it 4GB NAND? Is there anything else you can share? :)
No - that's not my role.
I can't answer any question on actual hardware specs beyond what is already public - I value the relationship I have with Pi Towers too much. Backwards compatibility had been stated as a goal, so confirming that was pretty much public information anyway.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

mikronauts

Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:38 pm

An RPi3 CM (depending on price/features) could be extremely interesting for embedded use!

I am looking forward to its release.
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

gatorback

Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:19 pm

I am pleased to see a CM3 is en route because the current 4GB is not enough for my application (8 needed), unless serious amount so man hours were used to strip and compact the distro. That being said, I would NOT ask for confirmation from those 'in the know' what the size of the NAND flash memory will be: it would be nice to know if I am wasting my time creating a 4GB distro for hardware that will soon be legacy (preferably by those 'in the know'). Private messaging if needed.

GadgetUK

Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:07 pm

From http://arstechnica.co.uk/information-te ... l-just-35/
he Raspberry Pi Foundation has a new version of the Compute Module in the works to go on sale in the second quarter. The new Compute Module will not include wireless connectivity, but it will have the same 1.2GHz Cortex A53 processor and 1GB of memory as the Raspberry Pi 3.

ShiftPlusOne
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:19 pm

I saw an interview where Gordon mentioned that you can use the sd card if onboard NAND is not enough. Wish I remembered where I saw that so that I could be sure that I didn't make it up.

sorbonne

Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:54 pm

what about the dual cameras? will this be supported?

6by9

Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:44 pm

sorbonne wrote:what about the dual cameras? will this be supported?
Yes. It's one of the things I'm about to double check still works.

sorbonne

Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:23 am

6by9 wrote:Yes. It's one of the things I'm about to double check still works.
and do you have any details about the future camera modules?

W. H. Heydt

Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:55 am

sorbonne wrote:
6by9 wrote:Yes. It's one of the things I'm about to double check still works.
and do you have any details about the future camera modules?
I think it can be taken as a given that any future camera modules will work with all existing models of Pi that have a CSI connector. It is also highly probably that any new camera module will come in two "flavors"--with and without the IR filter.

My hope is that the next camera modules with come with a standard lens mount, such as C-mount (preferable) or CS-mount (okay, as there are inexpensive CS-mount to C-mount adapters).

bonzadog

Wed May 04, 2016 12:39 pm

For the new compute module I would like to see a a RPI3 on board.
Just because the compute module is for the industry, doesn't mean that it must have
a low speed, reduced programme store size and low sized RAM.
The current 4GB is much to small and should be at least 16GB and a 1GB RAM - then were are talking
about some really exciting industrial projects. Anything else is a waste of time and effort.
Please keep the dual camera and screens

RaTTuS

Wed May 04, 2016 12:44 pm

it has been said by eban that it will be a P3-CM hence the name
no CM2 was made
as to size of on board flash we dunno
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

fruitoftheloom

Wed May 04, 2016 12:47 pm

bonzadog wrote:For the new compute module I would like to see a a RPI3 on board.
Just because the compute module is for the industry, doesn't mean that it must have
a low speed, reduced programme store size and low sized RAM.
The current 4GB is much to small and should be at least 16GB and a 1GB RAM - then were are talking
about some really exciting industrial projects. Anything else is a waste of time and effort.
Please keep the dual camera and screens
Yes you posted earlier without researching, so whatever you wish list is it may or may not happen, the CM3 design has been set:

viewtopic.php?f=98&t=146948&p=967458#p967458
Retired disgracefully.....

bonzadog

Wed May 04, 2016 6:36 pm

Yes you posted earlier without researching, so whatever you wish list is it may or may not happen, the CM3 design has been set:

viewtopic.php?f=98&t=146948&p=967458#p967458[/quote]

Research had revealed basically "no details".

But would it not be a good idea to ask some people that want to use the CM what they would like before end design?
Just an idea...

fruitoftheloom

Wed May 04, 2016 7:15 pm

bonzadog wrote:Yes you posted earlier without researching, so whatever you wish list is it may or may not happen, the CM3 design has been set:

viewtopic.php?f=98&t=146948&p=967458#p967458

Research had revealed basically "no details".

But would it not be a good idea to ask some people that want to use the CM what they would like before end design?
Just an idea...
It takes 12 to 18 months to design, test etcetera........

bonzadog

Thu May 05, 2016 2:35 pm

Just an idea...[/quote]

It takes 12 to 18 months to design, test etcetera........[/quote]

Well, yes, I would expect that, but that does not invalidate my question. Perhaps a questionaire in future?

JoanTheSpark

Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:21 am

Any news?
2nd quarter is drawing to an end in my part of the world here.. don't know about yours?

ivomilev

Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:27 am

Maybe the roadmap of CM3 could be changed because of this: http://www.theverge.com/2016/6/14/11936 ... er-holding

Also I think CM is completely not recommended for any industrial design & product since there is no clear support and roadmap from the SoC supplier. For me, this is the most important when someone wants to design a product with long term support and possible upgrade in order to be rival with other ARM SoC vendors ( like Amlogic ). Current CM uses more than 10 years old ARM instruction set which makes simple NodeJS based application to load for 2-5sec. Just not good for real-time embedded projects. It is just a good toy for educational purposes :)

fruitoftheloom

Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:32 am

ivomilev wrote:Maybe the roadmap of CM3 could be changed because of this: http://www.theverge.com/2016/6/14/11936 ... er-holding
There is a response regards the acquisition of Premier here:

viewtopic.php?f=62&t=151480#p993695

Anyway RPT are now mature enough to bypass Premier if a situation arose that the current agreement dissolved.

Regards you comment regards the CM usefulness, it does have fit in OEM / Embedded / Industrial, but obviously not for everyone, which can be applied to any product.....

Return to “Compute Module”