Bosse_B

USB GPS dongle BU-353 usage on RPi2?

Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:27 am

I have a GlobalSat USB GPS dongle with a Model No marking "BU-353".
If I insert it into Windows7 it registers as a serial port (#29 in my case).
I would like to use it in an RPi2 device, but I don't know how to actually start communicating with it.
Is there some general advice here regarding use of devices that are basically serial communications devices but connected via USB?
Bo Berglund
Sweden

Bosse_B

Re: USB GPS dongle BU-353 usage on RPi2?

Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:28 am

Thanks a bunch for this!
I tested your first link since it seemed to be about Raspberry Pi.

So I plugged my BU-353 into a spare USB on my Pi2 and saw this:

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~ $ sudo lsusb
Bus 001 Device 007: ID 067b:2303 Prolific Technology, Inc. PL2303 Serial Port
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 1ea7:0002
So that was promising.
Then I did as explained in the gps blog page linked to from your first link:

sudo apt-get install gpsd gpsd-clients python-gps
sudo gpsd /dev/ttyUSB0 -F /var/run/gpsd.sock
cgps -s
Unfortunately the result was a page which showed no data and which disappeared after a little while with a timeout message.
I also tested the xgps program in the GUI and it starts up but does not show any data at all.
So I unplugged the GPS dongle from the RPi2 and plugged it into my Windows7 PC instead.
Here it will sync up to the satellites in about a minute and send NMEA messsages at 4800 baud.
So the GPS dongle is OK by itself.
What could be the problem?
- Maybe the GPS draws too much current from USB so the voltage drops?
But in that case I should get the multicolor warning rectangle on screen, right? It is not there...
- Or the gpsd program uses the wrong baudrate? If that is the case how can it be changed to use 4800?

By the way the gpsd website seems broken. It just displays a frame with a menu but no content whatsoever and the load indicator just keeps rolling forever...
Bo Berglund
Sweden

ghodan

Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:36 am

gpsd website works on my pc. But after a page reload it does not. And then 2 min later it does work again. And then its not.
So must be a hosted on some poor server.

Bosse_B

Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:59 pm

I was off a while getting my new RPi3 set up and working...

Now back to the GPS problem on this new platform:
I have checked that the GPS BU-353 works as it should using these steps:

stty -F /dev/ttyUSB0 ispeed 4800
cat </dev/ttyUSB0
Result: NMEA messages appear on my terminal.

Next I tried to get gpsd working as follows:

sudo apt-get install gpsd gpsd-clients python-gps
sudo gpsd /dev/ttyUSB0 -F /var/run/gpsd.sock
cgps -s
But the result is a lonely page of no data:

lqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqklqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqk
x    Time:       n/a                        xxPRN:   Elev:  Azim:  SNR:  Used: x
x    Latitude:   n/a                        xx                                 x
x    Longitude:  n/a                        xx                                 x
x    Altitude:   n/a                        xx                                 x
x    Speed:      n/a                        xx                                 x
x    Heading:    n/a                        xx                                 x
x    Climb:      n/a                        xx                                 x
x    Status:     NO FIX (0 secs)            xx                                 x
x    Longitude Err:   n/a                   xx                                 x
x    Latitude Err:    n/a                   xx                                 x
x    Altitude Err:    n/a                   xx                                 x
x    Course Err:      n/a                   xx                                 x
x    Speed Err:       n/a                   xx                                 x
x    Time offset:     n/a                   xx                                 x
x    Grid Square:     n/a                   xx                                 x
mqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqjmqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqj
This page quickly disappears and is replaced by a timeout message
I have looked at these resources to check if I can find out what is wrong but to no avail:
http://blog.retep.org/2012/06/18/gettin ... pberry-pi/
http://www.catb.org/gpsd/installation.html

Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong?
Bo Berglund
Sweden

Return to “General discussion”