ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Re: The Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Q&A thread

Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:37 am

joan wrote:Does the wireless support channels 12 and 13?

(I have tried update/upgrade/dist-upgrade, rpi-update and BRANCH=next rpi-update).
If you add "country=GB" to /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf. rc_gui has an option to do that for you.

nautilus27

Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:45 am

Have anybody explored overclocking options on this beast?

My guess is 1.5 ghz stable with slight voltage bump, 1ghz ram and 500mhz l2 cache.

itsmedoofer

Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:31 am

RPi3 wrote:
asandford wrote:Not a showstopper, but poweroff command leaves the green LED on.
Also noticed this and was going to post a comment. Both the red and green LEDs stay on when using the sudo shutdown command.
Same here, I also didnt notice any kind of activity whilst I was booted in Ubuntu, just the red power LED, the green flashed briefly at first boot not to be seen again until shutdown.... Should I be seeing anything ?

Me.

joan

Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:06 pm

ShiftPlusOne wrote:
joan wrote:Does the wireless support channels 12 and 13?

(I have tried update/upgrade/dist-upgrade, rpi-update and BRANCH=next rpi-update).
If you add "country=GB" to /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf. rc_gui has an option to do that for you.
Thanks, that worked once I moved from a /etc/network/interfaces set-up to a /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf set-up.

To stop others wasting their time were the update/upgrade/dist-upgrade or rpi-update etc. needed?

noggin

Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:14 pm

Djinny wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote: What "Sale" ?? Where did you read that ??
hence the quotes. A friend and i are debating the future price of the pi3, because of the words "RASPBERRY PI 3 ON SALE NOW AT $35"

I'm confident it will stay at $35, but she insists it'll go way up. So i'm trying to get some confirmation.
Ah - in English/British English 'on sale now' usually means it is now being sold (i.e. its a new product that has just come to the market), not that is is being sold at a reduced price (which is more of a US English interpretation).

MarkZ

Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:25 pm

I'd like to ask again.

Does anyone know if the Pi3 processor supports I2s TDMmode so we can do multichannel audio?

Thanks.

Mark

GTR2Fan

Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:51 pm

nautilus27 wrote:My guess is 1.5 ghz stable with slight voltage bump, 1ghz ram and 500mhz l2 cache.
If you mean 1.5GHz with a slight voltage increase for the CPUs, that's been tried and confirmed working on at least one Pi3B. The RAM is never going to hit 1GHz (except internally as it's DDR2). It runs at 450MHz by default, but it may be possible to get it up to 600MHz if the same rules apply as for the Pi2B regarding schmoo tweaks. The L2 cache for the CPUs is presumably integrated into the CPU area as was the case for the Pi2B, so I don't know whether or not Core frequency has a direct effect on that any more.

You could start a dedicated Pi3B overclocking thread. It would be interesting to see the results. Just bear in mind that you will quite likely need a heatsink when overclocking the Pi3B unless you're not stress testing. An overclocking thread without standardised stress tests for all participants to run is completely meaningless in terms of comparing one Pi to another, so I'd recommend reading up on stress testing a Pi and devising a few tests (CPU and GPU) before going down that route if you decide to do so.
Pi2B Mini-PC/Media Centre: ARM=1GHz (+3), Core=500MHz, v3d=500MHz, h264=333MHz, RAM=DDR2-1200 (+6/+4/+4+schmoo). Sandisk Ultra HC-I 32GB microSD card on '50=100' OCed slot (42MB/s read) running Raspbian/KODI16, Seagate 3.5" 1.5TB HDD mass storage.

jamesh

Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:55 pm

MarkZ wrote:I'd like to ask again.

Does anyone know if the Pi3 processor supports I2s TDMmode so we can do multichannel audio?

Thanks.

Mark
I don't believe anything is different in that area to the Pi2.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

fourdee4d

Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:39 pm

Is it possible to disable bluetooth/wifi at a hardware level? If not, maybe we could see some options in config.txt?
DietPi.com - Lightweight justice for your Raspberry Pi. Optimized, simplified linux for everyone
DietPi's web hosting is powered by MyVirtualServer.com

jdb

Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:44 pm

fourdee4d wrote:Is it possible to disable bluetooth/wifi at a hardware level? If not, maybe we could see some options in config.txt?
There are two GPIOs on the GPIO expander that can gate the availability of BT or Wifi. Turning both of them off will put bcm43438 into a low-power mode. This isn't exposed in an easy way, config.txt is probably the way to go.
Rockets are loud.
https://astro-pi.org

eddberrypi

Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:47 pm

Can you use any Raspberry Pi 2 Distro on the Raspberry Pi 3?

fruitoftheloom

Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:50 pm

eddberrypi wrote:Can you use any Raspberry Pi 2 Distro on the Raspberry Pi 3?
Yes if updated first, the update depends on Operating System and whether or not you use NOOBS ;)
Retired disgracefully.....

fourdee4d

Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:52 pm

jdb wrote:There are two GPIOs on the GPIO expander that can gate the availability of BT or Wifi. Turning both of them off will put bcm43438 into a low-power mode. This isn't exposed in an easy way, config.txt is probably the way to go.
Great explanation, thank you. As far as I know (with the current lack of documentation), hopefully we could see config.txt options in the future.

On another note, during testing with hostapd, it appears the bcm43438 does not support AP mode. Although there is no mention of its support https://www.broadcom.com/products/Wirel ... ns/BCM4334, can anyone confirm this?
DietPi.com - Lightweight justice for your Raspberry Pi. Optimized, simplified linux for everyone

chrisoh

Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:00 pm

fourdee4d wrote:
jdb wrote:There are two GPIOs on the GPIO expander that can gate the availability of BT or Wifi. Turning both of them off will put bcm43438 into a low-power mode. This isn't exposed in an easy way, config.txt is probably the way to go.
Great explanation, thank you. As far as I know (with the current lack of documentation), hopefully we could see config.txt options in the future.

On another note, during testing with hostapd, it appears the bcm43438 does not support AP mode. Although there is no mention of its support https://www.broadcom.com/products/Wirel ... ns/BCM4334, can anyone confirm this?
I think I've read already that someone had successfully put it into AP mode.

A bullet-point list of problems + linked solutions on the first post would be awesome way to navigate this gargantuan thread :lol:
Raspberry Pi 3 model B Idle @ 250mA
  • HDMI +200mA
  • Minecraft 1.9 Server +100mA
  • 2.4Ghz dongle +20mA

fourdee4d

Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:39 pm

chrisoh wrote:I think I've read already that someone had successfully put it into AP mode.

A bullet-point list of problems + linked solutions on the first post would be awesome way to navigate this gargantuan thread :lol:
I'll have to give hostapd another go.
Couldnt agree more!

From a software level, the only method I can find to disable bcm43438: Although the hardware is most likely still powered.
EDIT: btbcm/hci_uart for bluetooth.

Code: Select all

cat << _EOF_ > /etc/modprobe.d/disable_rpi3_bcm43438.conf
#wifi
blacklist brcmfmac
blacklist brcmutil
#bt
blacklist btbcm
blacklist hci_uart
_EOF_

[email protected]:~# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
sg                     18023  0
bcm2835_gpiomem         2860  0
bcm2835_rng             1763  0
uio_pdrv_genirq         2944  0
uio                     7753  1 uio_pdrv_genirq
fuse                   80694  1
ipv6                  338574  20
Either way, free up some memory if not in use.
Last edited by fourdee4d on Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bavilo

Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:44 pm

So does the Pi 3 support 24p video playback and bitstreaming hd audio or not?

funvill

Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:45 pm

Is the Pinout the same as RPi2 ?
How many exposed UARTs are there ?

dom

Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:57 pm

Bavilo wrote:So does the Pi 3 support 24p video playback and bitstreaming hd audio or not?
Same as Pi2. No HD audio passthrough (but can losslessly decode and ouput 8 channel PCM).
24p (including 23.976) output is fine.

paulhothersall

Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:00 pm

rpdom wrote:
paulhothersall wrote:CSI lanes?

Is there anyway to expose the extra lanes.... or have these already been on in the Pi3?
Not enough pins on the connectors? The CM, for example, has a different connector and needs an adaptor board to use the camera.
Thanks for the info

Boo .... on backward compatibility / no second connector.... As this 100% would have been super useful going forward

still wish the 960p45 / 720p60 would work..

mddnh

Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:45 pm

Apologies if I missed this in the thread, or if the question doesn't make sense.

It looks like the UART on the 40-pin was switched out to support the BT, and was replaced with the "mini uart".

If I'm reading this correctly, the mini UART baudrate is tied to the CPU frequency? So if the frequency were to change, then you'll experience a change or fluctuation in baudrate? If you switch from the powersave governor to the performance governor, that should give you some more stability in theory. Some other comments alluded to the fact that the CPU will scale back its frequency as a result of a thermal overload though, which still leaves you with the same unpredictable reliability problems. Is that a correct assumption?

If so, it seems you can't rely on the UART for stable integration with other hardware peripherals as a result of this change. Although admittedly if you're only instability is a result of thermal overload, you have other reasons to solve that problem too.

Were there any similar changes that would impact the SPI clock output?

mikronauts

Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:24 pm

I am hoping it is tied to the CPU base clock, not PLL multiplied frequency.

It would not be acceptable to have the serial baud rate fluctuate with changes from the performance governor, so I doubt that is the case, as it would bust all serial communications with the Pi3.
mddnh wrote:Apologies if I missed this in the thread, or if the question doesn't make sense.

It looks like the UART on the 40-pin was switched out to support the BT, and was replaced with the "mini uart".

If I'm reading this correctly, the mini UART baudrate is tied to the CPU frequency? So if the frequency were to change, then you'll experience a change or fluctuation in baudrate? If you switch from the powersave governor to the performance governor, that should give you some more stability in theory. Some other comments alluded to the fact that the CPU will scale back its frequency as a result of a thermal overload though, which still leaves you with the same unpredictable reliability problems. Is that a correct assumption?

If so, it seems you can't rely on the UART for stable integration with other hardware peripherals as a result of this change. Although admittedly if you're only instability is a result of thermal overload, you have other reasons to solve that problem too.

Were there any similar changes that would impact the SPI clock output?
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

jahboater

Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:29 pm

asandford wrote:Not a showstopper, but poweroff command leaves the green LED on.
I think there is something wrong with the on-board leds.
In "/sys/class/leds", there is only led0, there should be led1 as well which was the red power led.
How do you turn off the red led?

PeterO

Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:31 pm

mikronauts wrote:I am hoping it is tied to the CPU base clock, not PLL multiplied frequency.
It would not be acceptable to have the serial baud rate fluctuate with changes from the performance governor, so I doubt that is the case, as it would bust all serial communications with the Pi3.
This may be of interest: Overlay to remap Pi 3 UART
viewtopic.php?f=107&t=138223

PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

anat

Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:43 am

Please advise the step to make the wifi work in the AP mode. Thanks.
PhillyFromNL wrote:
fourdee4d wrote:bcm43438 18.7x the strength of a FM radio transmitter (80 dBm)? :lol:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DBm

[email protected]:~# iwconfig
wlan0     IEEE 802.11bgn  ESSID:off/any
          Mode:Managed  Access Point: Not-Associated   Tx-Power=1496 dBm
          Retry short limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:off
Does bcm43438 currently support hard/soft AP?
I seem to have it working in AP mode now. I had a working AP mode setup on wlan0 and when i updated my raspian i got a wlan1, then i removed my WIFI dongle and rebooted and it started working with the internal WIFI.
I do have some problems with some of my WIFI devices that had to reconnect and stuff. But it seems to work.

wlan0     IEEE 802.11bgn  Mode:Master  Tx-Power=1496 dBm   
          Retry short limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Power Management:on

cruster

Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:55 am

Anyone else experiencing on board audio interference from the onboard Wi-Fi ? Have tried audio through HDMIPI and as well direct from the pi through the 4 pin 3.5mm jack to an amplifier. Same interference.

With a pi2, and with exact same setup - but using a USB WIFI adapter. No problems at all ?

Return to “General discussion”