clivem

rpi-update to get support for BCM2837/Pi3B

Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:01 am

I usually shy away from trying to help anyone with an OS I don't personally use.....

I am being asked if running rpi-update on a Raspbian image (older than the 29/02 release) on a Pi2B, will result in an image that can be switched into a Pi3B and booted? Anyone know the answer?

DirkS

Re: rpi-update to get support for BCM2837/Pi3B

Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:12 am

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
should be enough.

DougieLawson

Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:35 am

Yes, but not if the SDCard is built with NOOBS.

rpi-update brings in the Pi3 code, but a better way to get that is to re-install the raspberrypi-bootloader package. In normal circumstances there is NEVER a need to run rpi-update as it always gets you to the leading edge firmware and kernel and because that may be a testing version it could leave your RPi unbootable.

If you insist on running NOOBS then the easier way to get Pi3 ready is by downloading a copy of NOOBS v1.8.
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a hippy & doctor free zone.

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:37 am

DougieLawson wrote:Yes, but not if the SDCard is built with NOOBS.
Why not? Where is that information coming from?

fruitoftheloom

Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:45 am

ShiftPlusOne wrote:
Like DL I was under impression that one had to update the NOBS kernel / firmware, as was the case from armv6 to armv7.

SPO please can you expand why this is not the case, so advice can be given correctly !!!
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit
https://www.asus.com/uk/Mini-PCs/Chromebit-CS10

DougieLawson

Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:13 pm

ShiftPlusOne wrote:
Because every other RPi model has needed new stuff in the NOBS boot partition. There's usually a special dance needed to update the bootcode.bin and recovery*.* files to support the new processor model.
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum.

fruitoftheloom

Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:19 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
ShiftPlusOne wrote:
Because every other RPi model has needed new stuff in the NOBS boot partition. There's usually a special dance needed to update the bootcode.bin and recovery*.* files to support the new processor model.
Yes DL that was my assumption, download latest version, extract the two files and replace the ones in current NOOBS install.

Though have tried NOOBS twice and totally underwhelmed so not willing to experiment....
adieu

ShiftPlusOne
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:21 pm

Apologies, you're absolutely right. For some reason the fact that old NOOBS itself wouldn't work completely managed to escape my mind. Yes, of course you'd have to also extract the NOOBS lite archive over the NOOBS partition first.

Edit: Although I guess it depends on how old it is. A few of the recent versions supported pi3

fruitoftheloom

Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:43 pm

ShiftPlusOne wrote:Apologies, you're absolutely right. For some reason the fact that old NOOBS itself wouldn't work completely managed to escape my mind. Yes, of course you'd have to also extract the NOOBS lite archive over the NOOBS partition first.

Edit: Although I guess it depends on how old it is. A few of the recent versions supported pi3
You forget the :oops: :oops: :oops:

:lol:
adieu

procount

Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:00 pm

Be careful if you simply overwrite an old NOOBS recovery partition with the latest NOOBS-lite image.
1. DO NOT overwrite the recovery.cmdline file. A new version will have the 'runinstaller' command in it which will completely wipe your existing SD card the next time it is booted, as if it was a first time installation.
2. The partition layout that NOOBS creates is different in the later versions (v1.5.0 and later), so a later version of NOOBS may not fully recognise an existing layout. It may not be a problem (especially if you are just going to use NOOBS to wipe the card and start again) - I'm just highlighting something to be aware of. If this *IS* an issue, maybe copy everything except recovery.rfs, so you get the new kernel and bootfiles, but maintain the old NOOBS recovery program? (I'm not sure if this will work - I've not tested it).
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

david reeves

Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:36 pm

I've got a similar issue...

Have multiple RPI2s that started off with NOOBS install of wheezy with complex installation including networking, packages, and applications that would be very difficult to re-create. So I was motivated and worked out later upgrade to Jessie.

When I did upgrade etc the sd would boot on rpi2 but not on rpi3 - concluded it must be firmware and investigated to find that firmware does not get updated in a noobs installation.

So...checked out this link:

https://thepihut.com/blogs/raspberry-pi ... berry-pi-2

to copy the new NOOBS boot files to the sd

and followed that BUT...now it won't boot on either rpi2 or rpi3.

HELP!

Thank you!

Milliways

Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:42 am

DougieLawson wrote: rpi-update brings in the Pi3 code, but a better way to get that is to re-install the raspberrypi-bootloader package. In normal circumstances there is NEVER a need to run rpi-update as it always gets you to the leading edge firmware and kernel and because that may be a testing version it could leave your RPi unbootable.
I still see inexperienced users running rpi-update. If they are lucky, and if it is stable there is no harm done, however at the moment it seems to cause problems.

Maybe rpi-update should have this warning inbuilt, and require users to agree to proceed. I know this won't stop most, because I have learnt over the years that most users don't read warnings, or think it doesn't apply to them, but we should at least try.

DougieLawson

Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:09 am

rpi-update does have a warning, but everyone ignores it.

Code: Select all

This update bumps to rpi-4.4.y linux tree
Be aware there could be compatibility issues with some drivers
Discussion here:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=144087
##############################################################
for a while it was switched to ask you ""Would you like to proceed? (y/N)". The problem with any stuff like that is that folks will always choose the option that just gets the process run rather than paying any attention to why it's asking.

Running it with SKIP_WARNING=1 rpi-update and it remains silent.

Return to “Advanced users”