mosespi

Re: The Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Q&A thread

Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:36 am

Anyone have actual power usage stats? With WIFI and without? I would assume about the same power as a Pi 2 with a similar powered wifi module. Possibly slightly more on account of the increase in clock speed.

Reading the wording on the release:
"This time round, we’re recommending a 2.5A adapter if you want to connect power-hungry USB devices to the Raspberry Pi."

Sounds like the the 2.5A supply is recommended more heavily on what is hanging off the USB then anything else. Maybe make the pages a bit more clear on this? I encounter a fair bit of people that think they need a hefty power supply for an older release Pi with just a small load.. small wifi and keyboard for example.

Maybe raspi.tv will update their page soon. I find it pretty accurate. As found here: http://raspi.tv/2015/raspberry-pi2-powe ... easurement

Regards,
-Moses
Power problems? MoPower UPS for the Pi
http://www.allspectrum.com/mopower/

gsh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:07 am

The problem with those measurements is that they don't measure instantaneous peak power consumption which is extremely important. When your processor kicks off to do something important it can easily triple the power consumption for a few micro seconds. You'll not notice this on a DVM...

But we do assume 1.2A continuous for the USB supplies, so if you've got nothing plugged in there then you're looking at 1.3A min instead... But considering HDDs can pull 2A from a USB connector (when the spec says a maximum of 500mA you have to wonder why PC manufacturers allow this)
--
Gordon Hollingworth PhD
Raspberry Pi - Director of Software Engineering

mosespi

Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:44 am

Thanks for the reply Gordon. Almost forgot about peak load. I tell people if they have a pile of USB supplies to try them all, line and load regulation is almost never published and overall power quality unknown. They shouldn't be surprised when a 1A supply works better then the 2A one they got from the dollar store / pound shop. That or buy the recommended one, but that is too easy.

I'll save the what should never be on USB discussion, including my LED lit coffee cup warmer, for another thread :)

Regards,
-Moses

Kiefer

Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:46 am

Does the onboard wifi have an activity Led?

Cheers, Harry

croston

Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:49 am

fsr wrote:when someone gets hold of one could you post the revision?

Code: Select all

grep Revision /proc/cpuinfo
thanks!
Revision is a02082

gkreidl

Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:32 am

RZX wrote:Hi guys,

My question is simple i would like to know if the PI3 can play 60 fps 720p videos on YouTube ?

Thx for the answer!
This has always been possible with the right kind of software. Inside the browser (epiphany, kweb3) usually a lower resolution is used.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:38 am

gsh wrote:The problem with those measurements is that they don't measure instantaneous peak power consumption which is extremely important. When your processor kicks off to do something important it can easily triple the power consumption for a few micro seconds. You'll not notice this on a DVM...
Thanks for this Gordon. I will put a comment on the blog next time I update it in a day or two. The main reason I do these measurements is so that people using battery power can calculate their required capacity.
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

mosespi

Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:15 am

I read the BT module is on a UART. Would this be the UART that is on pin 8/10 of the GPIO or a separate UART? Hoping it doesn't use up the UART on the GPIO pins.

On a side note.. FM reception!! Now that would be neat to play with. With some luck it's just a software patch and wire antenna.

Regards,
-Moses

karrika

Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:00 am

Is the UART on the 40 pin GPIO connector still at the same device address /dev/ttyAMA0?

Can the port still be run with non-standard baud rates like 250k for DMX and 31250 for MIDI? These are working on the other Raspberry Pi models.

I am still waiting for my Raspberry Pi 3 model. Hoping that the serial stuff still works.

9pi

Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:19 am

jdb wrote:The Arasan eMMC block is the only block that can do UHS and this is now connected to the onboard WiFi. The Broadcom SDHOST (which doesn't do UHS modes, but can be overclocked) now talks to the SD card.
Is there register-level documentation available for programming the SDHOST interface? I don't see it in mentioned the "BCM2835 Arm Peripherals" document. It would be useful to be able to adapt Plan 9 to run on the Pi3 without losing access to the SD card.

gregeric

Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:27 am

karrika wrote:Is the UART on the 40 pin GPIO connector still at the same device address /dev/ttyAMA0?

Can the port still be run with non-standard baud rates like 250k for DMX and 31250 for MIDI? These are working on the other Raspberry Pi models.

I am still waiting for my Raspberry Pi 3 model. Hoping that the serial stuff still works.
From what has been said, it's now the other serial peripheral, so /dev/ttyS0.

See viewtopic.php?f=63&t=137932&start=50#p915614 re baud rates.

gregeric

Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:29 am

9pi wrote:
jdb wrote:The Arasan eMMC block is the only block that can do UHS and this is now connected to the onboard WiFi. The Broadcom SDHOST (which doesn't do UHS modes, but can be overclocked) now talks to the SD card.
Is there register-level documentation available for programming the SDHOST interface? I don't see it in mentioned the "BCM2835 Arm Peripherals" document. It would be useful to be able to adapt Plan 9 to run on the Pi3 without losing access to the SD card.
There are two different linux drivers for it you can use as a reference (an old one and PhilE's shiny new one)... the RPiF engineers only got documentation for it themselves about a year ago (afaicr, mentioned on this forum).

jamesh

Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:45 am

mosespi wrote:I read the BT module is on a UART. Would this be the UART that is on pin 8/10 of the GPIO or a separate UART? Hoping it doesn't use up the UART on the GPIO pins.

On a side note.. FM reception!! Now that would be neat to play with. With some luck it's just a software patch and wire antenna.

Regards,
-Moses
I don't believe the FM side of the chip is routed out, so I suspect it's not usable at all (and not modifiable to make it usable)
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

PeterO

Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:25 am

FYI : Pi3s ordered from CPC yesterday are arriving via UPS this morning :-)
PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),Aeromodelling,1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

mikerr

Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:45 am

jamesh wrote:
mosespi wrote: On a side note.. FM reception!! Now that would be neat to play with. With some luck it's just a software patch and wire antenna.
I don't believe the FM side of the chip is routed out, so I suspect it's not usable at all (and not modifiable to make it usable)
The FM aerial pin apparently isn't routed out - so I guess you'd have to be sitting on a radio mast to receive any signal at all ,
making it effectively unuseable.
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

RaTTuS

Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:56 am

PeterO wrote:FYI : Pi3s ordered from CPC yesterday are arriving via UPS this morning :-)
PeterO
damn you ;)
mine ordered yesterday : 7:30 pimoroni is still being prepared for dispatch
cpc one ordered yesterday @ 9:16 says it's complete but I'm still awaiting delivery
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

9pi

Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:01 pm

gregeric wrote:
9pi wrote: Is there register-level documentation available for programming the SDHOST interface? I don't see it in mentioned the "BCM2835 Arm Peripherals" document. It would be useful to be able to adapt Plan 9 to run on the Pi3 without losing access to the SD card.
There are two different linux drivers for it you can use as a reference (an old one and PhilE's shiny new one)... the RPiF engineers only got documentation for it themselves about a year ago (afaicr, mentioned on this forum).
Thanks, I'm aware that there are linux drivers. In my experience, reverse engineering driver code, and inferring a device specification from it, is much more work than writing a simple new driver from scratch from a concise spec. Separating out what is essential to the operation to the device, from the particularities of interfacing with the rest of the existing operating system context, can add a huge extra burden of complexity.

The Plan 9 driver for the Arasan MMC interface was easy to produce, thanks to the clear register-level description in the BCM2835 document. That's why I'm hoping to find a similar writeup for the SDHOST interface.

Suppose Broadcom had told the Foundation engineers "You can't have the interface documentation, but here's some example Plan 9 code which should allow you to figure it out". Somehow I don't think they would have been thrilled.

ssvb

Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:05 pm

mosespi wrote: Maybe raspi.tv will update their page soon. I find it pretty accurate. As found here: http://raspi.tv/2015/raspberry-pi2-powe ... easurement
One problem is that they are using a very light workload when measuring power consumption. Also the "sysbench --test=cpu --cpu-max-prime=20000 --num-threads X run" test mentioned at http://blog.pimoroni.com/raspberry-pi-3/ is very far from being the heaviest task for the CPU. If you want to check a realistic peak power consumption using real heavy applications, then NEON optimized video transcoding or running a NEON optimized litecoin miner would be among the heaviest ones.

Also a synthetic NEON optimized cpuburn implementation tuned for Cortex-A53 can be found here: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ssvb/ ... burn-a53.S
It is somewhat more power hungry than real NEON applications, but the whole point is to stress the cooling system and the PSU to ensure that there is at least a bit of safety headroom (because there is also the GPU which might be used simultaneously with the CPU). I have been told in the #odroid irc channel that it took ~2 minutes to run it until throttling on an ODROID-C2 board, which uses quad Cortex-A53 clocked at 2GHz but has a heatsink. It would be interesting to know how the Raspberry Pi 3 can handle this cpuburn-a53 test.

DougieLawson

Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:07 pm

RaTTuS wrote:
PeterO wrote:FYI : Pi3s ordered from CPC yesterday are arriving via UPS this morning :-)
PeterO
damn you ;)
mine ordered yesterday : 7:30 pimoroni is still being prepared for dispatch
cpc one ordered yesterday @ 9:16 says it's complete but I'm still awaiting delivery
My one ordered from RS yesterday shows that it's on a Royal Mail van for delivery right now. (Which is a whole lot better than my first RPi in 2012 which took ten weeks for RS to deliver it.)

I just wonder how fast it will run the Hercules mainframe emulator (and whether I can squeeze any extra performance by rebuilding Herc with any special compiler options). That'll be the first test after I've mounted it on my RPF touch screen.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

Since 2012: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Zero*2, 3B*3

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Do not send private messages.

Pithagoros

Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:16 pm

I have one ordered from PiHut yesterday, was delivered this morning.
Ordered 0717, shipping confirmation 1339.

Still in its box though, because of my day job.

Massi

Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:56 pm

in italy RS and farnell have changed their policy (with pi2 i could buy straight from RS) and they sell to retail customers only using other resellers with a "easy" 9€ dispatch cost from France :)
So this is definitely my destiny :)

mikerr

Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:59 pm

Is the WifF 2.4GHz only ?
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

HankB

Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:59 pm

mosespi wrote:They shouldn't be surprised when a 1A supply works better then the 2A one they got from the dollar store / pound shop.
Indeed!
I bought a cheap powered USB hub from Amazon and plugged a heavy duty load into it. Between the load and hub I included one of those cheap (~15$US) USB meters. Voltage and current wandered a bit with voltage dropping below 4.4V (minimum spec for USB 2.0.) Current draw was low too at (IIRC) about 160 mA. Rating on the power supply was 1000 mA at 5V and it fell far short.

Your point is well taken. I also find it useful to have a USB volt/current meter so I can see what is going on. For example I know that my Pi2B uses about 220 mA driving my 'fireplace video.'

As for the Pi3B, this is exciting. :D (And I'm so glad I managed to snap up one of those Pi2Bs on sale at Amazon on Sunday. :roll: ) Is there a mention of vendors for this device anywhere? Will it be generally available like the Pi2B or will a small handful of suppliers carry it like the Pi0? (And incidentally the Chicago/Central Microcenter shows stock for the Pi0 right now.)

Thanks!

fruitoftheloom

Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:00 pm

mikerr wrote:Is the WifF 2.4GHz only ?
Yes according the Official Blog :?
My only "PC" is an Asus ChromeBit running ChromeOS, cloudcentric at its best !
Rockchip Quad-Core RK3288C SoC as used in ASUS Chromebook C201 & Chromebook Flip C100PA as well as the Tinker SBC

lb

Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:08 pm

Does the WiFi chipset support channel 13 (in regions where it is allowed)? I can't find any clear info on this.

Return to “General discussion”