Hove

Pi Zero USB hub

Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:28 pm

Because the RPi Zero only has a single USB port, and I need keyboard (wired), mouse (wired) and Wifi (at least for initial configuration), I tried using a couple of passive USB hubs I had kicking around. Neither worked. Without the hub, and either keyboard or mouse plugged in directly (via the official uUSB to USB A adapter), all was fine. However, via the hub, even keyboard on it own didn't work.

I tried max_usb_current=1 even though that is an RPi2 specific

Anyone found a passive hub that works or a different way to add keyboard, mouse and dongle to the PiZero.

This is running latest Jessie image.

TIA
www.pistuffing.co.uk - Raspberry Pi and other stuffing!

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Re: Pi Zero USB hub

Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:33 pm

You'll need a powered hub.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Hove

Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:40 pm

Cheers Liz, I was hoping to get away without the mess of wires for the CotswoldJam tomorrow. I'll dig out my 10 port powered from my rat's nest of spares!
www.pistuffing.co.uk - Raspberry Pi and other stuffing!

webuser011

Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:14 am

I am using a powered 4 port USB 3.0 hub and I am having the same problem. The peripherals work with the hub but I cannot get more than one peripheral working at a time.

fruitoftheloom

Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:20 am

webuser011 wrote:I am using a powered 4 port USB 3.0 hub and I am having the same problem. The peripherals work with the hub but I cannot get more than one peripheral working at a time.
Try a USB2 Mains Powered Hub, this question of USB3 Hubs not enumerating devices has been discussed, this is the short version:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... nownissues
Retired disgracefully.....

geev03

Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:16 am

liz wrote:You'll need a powered hub.
Yes, I used one for the initial set up.

Joe Schmoe

Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:11 am

geev03 wrote:
liz wrote:You'll need a powered hub.
Yes, I used one for the initial set up.

Where does this display come from?
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

Brandonjh00

Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:07 pm

I don't know if it's just luck, or what, but I spliced a passive belkin usb hub with a micro usb to reduce to bulky adapter. Have been running with Pivos wifi, Logitech keyboard and mouse dongle, and a thumb drive without any issues.

JANGER

Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:34 am

could you show any link for the hub you used?
Brandonjh00 wrote:I don't know if it's just luck, or what, but I spliced a passive belkin usb hub with a micro usb to reduce to bulky adapter. Have been running with Pivos wifi, Logitech keyboard and mouse dongle, and a thumb drive without any issues.

Retroman

Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:39 pm

I'm using a cheap Amazon basics 4 port hub on the Pi Zero. Its not a powered hub and I've a joystick(ms sidewinder), keyboard/mouse combo and edimax wifi dongle hooked up and all working on RetroPie.

So far all is working fine and I used the wifi a lot while setting up RetroPie as well as the Keyboard and jstick.

ds18s20

Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:51 pm

@Retroman could you show a picture of how that Amazon hub is connected to the Pi Zero? What goes where kind of a picture...? Thanks

leol

Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:39 am

Try the Broadcom WiFi adaptor and USB hub. https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/usb- ... fi-adaptor
Works great. I keep a couple in my tool kit for setting up Pis before running them headless.

java

Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:24 pm

Okay, so USB 3 hubs can be problematic with the RPi Zero even if the same Hub works with RPi B and RPi 2 B.

I only have the one Hub, and need it to get my Wi-Fi working.

So due to the USB 3 hub, issues, would the SD card for the Zero work in my RPi B, then I can set it up, get it working, so it can run headless, or would the RPi 2 B, be a better option?
Last edited by java on Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fruitoftheloom

Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:26 pm

java wrote:Okay, so USB 3 hubs can be problematic with the RPi ZeZeroeven if the same Hub works with RPi B and RPi 2 B.

I only have the one Hub, and need it to get my Wi-Fi working.

So due to the USB 3 hub, issues, would the SD card for the Zero work in my RPi B, then I can set it up, get it working, so it can run headless, or would the RPi 2 B, be a better option?
Yes the SD Card with Raspbian Jessie is backward compatible....

startrek.steve

Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:43 pm

Could a Zero power a WiFi dongle and an 8gb usb stick without a powered hub? its fine running the WiFi dongle

Steve
Pi 2 running LibreElec Krypton, Pi 2 running Wheezy Desktop, Pi 1 headless Wheezy, downloading Radio, Pi 1 running Picore headless Media Server, Pi Zero to be an Old Time Radio Project. Pi 3 testing. Pi Zero W downloading Radio shows headless.

solar3000

Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:28 pm

I use an unpowered hub on the zero. BUT I use low power USB devices.

My setup:
pi zero
hub
EDIMAX 7811n (wifi)
logitech unified thing ( connects to all their keyboards and mice)

After I've set up wifi and everything else, my setup becomes this:
pi zero
EDIMax 7811n

Everything is controlled thru ssh and wifi.
Antikythera

alphanumeric

Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:31 pm

I've plugged a wireless keyboard, WIFI dongle and USB thumb drive into my Zero with an el cheapo NexxTech USB unpowered hub. They all worked OK. Keyboard was a Logitech with the Unifying receiver. WIFI dongle is a LB-Link 802.11 N.

mutley

Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:17 am

I'm not sure on the correct terminology, but you need an active hub or a hub with it's own IC controller, powered vs non-powered is irreverent.
Some USB hubs simple duplicate the signal basically giving the upstream USB controller more ports. Others add a USB controller IC, ie actually register as another USB device with the upstream controller. Since the zero can only support one physical port with it's onboard USB controller IC, a hub without it's own IC controller will not work.

startrek.steve

Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:21 pm

OK I tried my Zero with an unpowered hub with Wifi and USB stick in the hub. SSH'd in fine, browsed the stick, all seemed fine, rebooted and got a boot failure to emergency repair menu. pulled the hub out and ran just with just the Wifi on the Zero - all fine again, works fine on a 4 port powered hub with the WiFi and usb stick in the powered hub. I guess the Zero can only take one usb device on its own.

Steve
Last edited by startrek.steve on Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pi 2 running LibreElec Krypton, Pi 2 running Wheezy Desktop, Pi 1 headless Wheezy, downloading Radio, Pi 1 running Picore headless Media Server, Pi Zero to be an Old Time Radio Project. Pi 3 testing. Pi Zero W downloading Radio shows headless.

fruitoftheloom

Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:35 pm

startrek.steve wrote:OK I tried my Zero with an unpowered hub with Wifi and USB stick in the hub. SSH'd in fine, browsed the stick, all seemed fine, rebooted and got a boot failure to emergency repair menu. pulled the hub out and ran just with just the Wifi on the Zero - all fine again, works fine on a 4 port powered hub with the WiFi and usb stick in the powered hub. I guess the Zero can only take on usb device on its own.

Steve
From the gazillion posts it would appear that it is a minefield whether or not Chinese Cheap Hubs work, it would help others if you posted details of the Hub you used.

startrek.steve

Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:00 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
startrek.steve wrote:OK I tried my Zero with an unpowered hub with Wifi and USB stick in the hub. SSH'd in fine, browsed the stick, all seemed fine, rebooted and got a boot failure to emergency repair menu. pulled the hub out and ran just with just the Wifi on the Zero - all fine again, works fine on a 4 port powered hub with the WiFi and usb stick in the powered hub. I guess the Zero can only take one usb device on its own.

Steve
From the gazillion posts it would appear that it is a minefield whether or not Chinese Cheap Hubs work, it would help others if you posted details of the Hub you used.
The Unpowered one I used was a Freebie from an RM (Research Machines) conference, the powered one was an official 4 port one from Pihut I think, it was the one I bought for my first Pi, it was replaced with another official 7 port one.
Last edited by startrek.steve on Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

java

Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:08 pm

I use a USB 2, 4 port Targus hub, with a WN725N Wi-Fi adapter, 32Gig. Sandisk Memory stick, keyboard and mouse, works fine. It is an non-powered hub. Can substitute a Chronos USB ethernet adapter, for the Wi-Fi adapter without issues.

My j5create USB 3, powered hub does not work with my RPi Zero.

TheGuyUk

Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:14 pm

My set up if i helps is

A Poundland unpowered white usb 2 hub 4 ports, one usb WiFi dongle widemac, one wireless mini keyboard with Touchpad dongle, connected by a micro usb connector to USB.

You need a strong power supply as mentioned on the OTG.

asandford

Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:24 pm

TheGuyUk wrote:
A Poundland unpowered white usb 2 hub 4 ports
Got one of those a couple of weeks back and found that it happily runs a USB3 1Gbps Ethernet adapter, and with an "A" to "A" cable will power the Pi as well - not bad for a quid.

yellowspanner

Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:07 pm

So is the Amazon basics hub a good bet? Going to need to run a keyboard, a mouse and wifi dongle.

Return to “General discussion”