gordon77

Re: RaspberryPi Camera for Astrophotography

Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:44 am

scotty101 wrote:gordon77,

Is your source code on GitHub?
Sorry no. I haven't used github (yet), looks too complicated for me!

Gordon77

gordon77

Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:46 am

MikeDunn wrote:
gordon77 wrote:Are you using the pi touchscreen? How does it work with the program, can you operate the buttons with the touch screen OK?
Yeah; works ok. Only awkward bit is using the + - functionality, as my fingers are too large ;) But that's why I have an RF keyboard/touchpad ! :lol:

One aspect that's not so good is the config buttons at the bottom of the screen; but that's because I don't have the header bar in "hide when unused" mode. However, if you're thinking of adding more user functionality, you may need to fully redesign the interface ... If not, it's OK as it is.

Mike
Just remembered you can change the size of the buttons. Find the section # button height, under # DISPLAY SETTINGS, and change bh = 31 or 30.

scotty101

Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:26 pm

gordon77 wrote:

Gordon77
It takes a bit of learning but there are some great walkthrough tutorials. Will make it much easier for you to share your code and others to contribute.
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

gordon77

Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:04 am

I have started the steep learning curve for github :D and hopefully it is on there under 'Pi-AutoGuider'

If you think anything else needs adding etc please let me know.

Gordon77

sharix

Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:46 am

gordon77 wrote:

Gordon77
It's actually very simple, you create a repository and then push your code updates to the repo.
Here is a very good and detailed guide on how to set up a repository: http://stackoverflow.com/a/33884170/1420399
And here's the official guide on how to set up a repository (mentioned in the above guide, step 2: https://help.github.com/articles/create-a-repo/

After this initial setup, whenever you have code changes that you wish to upload to the repo, you just execute these commands in the code's folder (named "<repository>" in the first guide):

Code: Select all

git add -u (or git add -A if you created new files)
git commit -m "<commit comment>"
git push origin master
I could help you set up the repo, PM me if you are interested.

gordon77

Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:54 am

sharix,

Thanks for your offer of help.
I managed to make the repo using the github software downloaded to my Windows PC, and with the use of file manager populate it, and commit it. Maybe not the most efficent way but it worked.

I'll see how it goes when it comes to updates.

Gordon77

MikeDunn

Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:36 pm

gordon77 wrote: Just remembered you can change the size of the buttons. Find the section # button height, under # DISPLAY SETTINGS, and change bh = 31 or 30.
Will give this a try :) Think I'll have to write an aide memoir on the various settings/changes I want, to allow future versions to be quickly modified ! Or can the various bits like this be saved out into a config file ?

Mike

gordon77

Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:52 am

I'll think about expanding the config files to cover more options.
At the moment they only save what you can change on the screen.

Gordon

JohnCollis

Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:12 pm

I have acquired the necessary parts for an adaptor for the raspberry camera. I have removed the lens from the camera and attached it to the adaptor. This afternoon I tried it with the telescope pointing at the sun via a solar filter of course. Using the raspberry camera app on my iPad all I obtained were images that were just green. I did try tweaking some of the parameters, but still didn't get any detail, there is a small group of sunspots visible at the moment. I plan to use the raspberry headless with SSH running on either the iPad or PC, I'm not clear on how to proceed.

gordon77

Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:41 pm

gordon77 wrote:I'll think about expanding the config files to cover more options.
At the moment they only save what you can change on the screen.

Gordon
MikeDunn,

Do you want to try this version ?
Modify it with all your settings, run it and save a config, eg S1.
Then stop it and change 'use_config = 1'.
When it runs it should use your pre-saved config.
With future versions just keep your original config.txt files, and set 'use_config = 1' to load the config you want at startup.

Gordon

gordon77

Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:03 am

Sorry an update spotted an error...

Just to make it clear 'use_config' must = 0 when you first save a config for it to save your changes to the default settings.
After that change it to use the config you want eg 'use_config = 1'

New versions can be found at. https://github.com/Gordon999/Pi-Autoguider
Last edited by gordon77 on Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

csrockstar

Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:38 pm

Those are great images. I was hoping if I can create similar results and some galaxy time-lapses via RPI.
I checked the telescope used for that Celestron NexStar 6″ Telescope. And it is like $800. Is there any other cheaper options, without degrading much quality? :D

MikeDunn

Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:03 am

Gordon,

How much difference is the Pi3 making to the speed of the app ? No effective change from the Pi2, or the user will notice improvement ? Not had a chance to test myself (had initial issues getting the Pi3 to work; the "upgrade" info didn't work, had to flash the latest image on instead).

CSR,

You can use any scope that permits guiding with the ST-4 port. But AP is an expensive business if the bug bites ... $800 is cheap ! Re "time-lapse galaxies" ... what are you hoping to get ? A time-lapse on a galaxy won't show much unless you have it running for thousands of years :lol:

Mike

gordon77

Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:56 pm

It does show some improvement. You can't get the Pi camera to take pictures any quicker but processing can be quicker so using larger windows is quicker.

It can capture images faster using con cap, when using more options eg MAX window, Thr on etc.

I have been looking at averaging over more frames for noise reduction, try https://github.com/Gordon999/Pi-AutoGuider

Gordon

JohnCollis

Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:58 pm

I have a Skymaster 130mm reflecting telescope with a Pi camera (lens removed) in place of the normal eye piece.
What would be the optimal settings for the camera?

gordon77

Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:49 am

JohnCollis wrote:I have a Skymaster 130mm reflecting telescope with a Pi camera (lens removed) in place of the normal eye piece.
What would be the optimal settings for the camera?
Are you guiding or photographing ? what are you photographing?

JohnCollis

Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:17 pm

I am using the camera for imaging rather than guiding. I'm interested in obtaining images of anything, Jupiter and the Moon at the moment. I'm also interested in experimenting with trying to image stellar objects and experimenting with Registax.

gordon77

Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:29 pm

You could try my programme and ignore the auto guide bits, just use the camera settings.

Try exp mode off, 400 iso and adjust the exp time to suit, probably fairly short for the moon or planets. When setup Click con cap to capture every frame which you can use in register later.

MikeDunn

Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:58 am

Gordon,

Does your app support the new camera then ? ;)

OK, now you've stopped rolling your eyes at me ( :!: ), when are you expecting to be able to test ? Reason I'm asking is that apparently this should be a drop-in replacement for the original camera, but that the default resolution remains the same. So - we either have to wait for a replacement piece of code for the cameras, or your app gets some code added to force the res (there's a post in General about the camera that describes this already).

I'm wondering if there's a call that can be made to the camera to ID it, & you could use that to set the res ? Otherwise it may be a prefs setting ?

Mike

gordon77

Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:34 pm

As soon as l get one l'll let you know ;)

It uses raspistill and the -roi feature which hopefully will work just the same.

Hopefully the sensitivity will be better and the 10sec exposure, the script will need modifying to increase to 10secs

Gordon

MikeDunn

Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:48 pm

Cheers :D

Seems one of the concerns (ie the camera code) has been addressed in an earlier update 8-) So hopefully your app will auto-detect the better res without any input ! I guess we'll see as & when !

Mike

gordon77

Thu May 05, 2016 11:19 am

I've got the Pi v2 NOIR camera and it works OK with the PiAG programme. I did sudo apt-get update, sudo apt-get upgrade, sudo rpi-update...

I have added a parameter Pi_Cam to tell it which camera you have eg Pi_Cam = 2.
With the v2 camera you can now zoom to 8 but it doesn't look as sharp as 7, maybe it's not doing full res with raspistill?
Maybe there's a way to detect the camera version automatically ?.

github updated.

Gordon
Last edited by gordon77 on Sun May 08, 2016 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

gordon77

Fri May 06, 2016 5:37 pm

Hopefully l've found the reason for the poorer resolution with Zoom=8, it's to do with the Display_width setting for the Pi display and calculations for -roi . Newer version undergoing testing.

Gordon

gordon77

Sun May 08, 2016 9:47 am

Hopefully fixed...

github updated.... https://github.com/Gordon999/Pi-AutoGuider

MikeDunn

Sun May 22, 2016 10:44 am

Gordon,

Have you tried your app on the new Zero with a new camera ? How does it behave (speeds, etc) ?

Wondering if it's worth trying this, even though I'd lose the touchscreen control I presently have ...

Mike

Return to “Camera board”