sam80

WIFI WPS

Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:58 pm

Hello everyone,

I am new to the board and I've had the pi for some time now but I want to move to some more dummy proof setup.

Is it possible to have a WPS enabled wifi dongle connected to the Pi and setup the wifi connnection with just the wps button on the router and the dongle?

I couldn't find the answer when googling and I am pretty sure I am not the only one wanting to have this. :roll:

any help in the right direction would be great!

klricks

Re: WIFI WPS

Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:21 am

You can use the WPS function built into the WIFI config utility. Icon on Raspbian desktop.
Very simple, easy to do and works well.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

sam80

Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:32 am

Hi,

thanks for the reply :). I was more thinking of setting up the wifi with no screens attached.

so basically, power up the raspberry, plug in the wifi dongle with the wps button on it. press the wps on the network router, continue press the wps button on the wifi dongle connected to the Pi.

is this possible? I am looking for example at the :
TL-WN823N this is compatible with the Pi out of the box, but I am not sure whether it can do what I got in my mind.

p.s. I am running it on the raspbian wheezy

mikerr

Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:20 pm

Using the the button on the wifi dongle itself ?

I had no luck with that, but you can use wpa_cli to make the pi connect - maybe put that in startup?
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 63&t=77277
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

sam80

Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:47 pm

Hi Mikerr,

I had indeed read that topic, but there was no further discussion on it so I thought it was dead.... does that script you made work ?

otherwise it would be indeed a great addition I think to have it included into the startup, press the wps on the router, then press the wps on the dongle.... and you are connected.

The reason I am looking into the option, is because of the possibilities of having small wifi enabled devices which you can create and market based on Pi. but the hurdle is setting up that connection in the first place by the customers I think.

klricks

Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:12 pm

sam80 wrote:Hi,

thanks for the reply :). I was more thinking of setting up the wifi with no screens attached.

so basically, power up the raspberry, plug in the wifi dongle with the wps button on it. press the wps on the network router, continue press the wps button on the wifi dongle connected to the Pi.

is this possible? I am looking for example at the :
TL-WN823N this is compatible with the Pi out of the box, but I am not sure whether it can do what I got in my mind.

p.s. I am running it on the raspbian wheezy
Not certain but I think that even in Windows the special TP-LINK utility software must be installed and running before the dongle push button can be used.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

sam80

Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:39 am

Well after couple of days of shaking my pi..... no luck....:(.... moved on and settled with the fact I need to use shell or screen to set it up.. thanks for everyone's input!

max2play

Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:14 pm

Hi,

this is topic is quite old, but in case anyone is looking for a working solution for WPS you may try Max2Play. This is a Raspbian based SD-card-image that offers WPS-configuration on boot if no LAN is connected. With that you may configure the WiFi of your Pi with just starting it and enableing WPS on your Router. This is optimal for headless devices like audioplayers. Max2Play also offers lots of other usefull features and a web interface for configuration of your Pi.

You may get Max2Play as download on http://www.max2play.com/en/max2play-image/
OS Developer Account
Visit Max2Play at www.max2play.com

Return to “HATs and other add-ons”