informed
Posts: 128
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:24 pm

Disabling Automatic Windows Update

Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:03 am

Hi,

I have upgraded my 'os' to version 10.0.10586 for my Raspberry Pi 2 Model B.

I have noticed that there is now a Windows Update and it will update automatically.

Is there a way to disable this feature as it is a real pain.

thanks

ricl
Posts: 657
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:55 am

Re: Disabling Automatic Windows Update

Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:52 am

I doubt that this will be easy but.....

The only placce I think you would get an informed answer is over on the MS site. The OS forum rather than the IoT one.
ricl : F/gamma = ma : Law ii(a) : https://climatedatablog.wordpress.com/2016/01/02/an-energy-challenge-2016/ #AnEnergyChallenge2016

haroldpulcher
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:08 pm
Contact: Website

Re: Disabling Automatic Windows Update

Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:46 pm

There is no way to disable this in the current SKU.

There is a PRO SKU that requires you to sign up for some sort of commercial version. Not sure of all the details.

In the PRO SKU, much like in Windows 10 Enterprise, you will be able to turn off the updates.

I did the update 2 days ago, just cause I was curious and didn't want to wait till 3am.

Took about 20 minutes or so. All my loaded stuff was still intact.

Harold

ricl
Posts: 657
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:55 am

Re: Disabling Automatic Windows Update

Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:35 pm

That's for the Desktop surely? IoT does not come with those features AFAIK
ricl : F/gamma = ma : Law ii(a) : https://climatedatablog.wordpress.com/2016/01/02/an-energy-challenge-2016/ #AnEnergyChallenge2016

haroldpulcher
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:08 pm
Contact: Website

Re: Disabling Automatic Windows Update

Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:51 pm

Check this link:
https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperi ... this-fall/

And this section:
we are also introducing a new ‘Windows 10 IoT Core Pro’ OEM SKU that provides the ability to defer updates and control distribution of updates through Windows Server Update Services.

haroldpulcher
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:08 pm
Contact: Website

Re: Disabling Automatic Windows Update

Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:12 pm

To be more accurate, I should've included "announced" or "coming soon".

I thought that in my head, but re-read and realized I was thinking faster than I was typing. :)

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 21079
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: Disabling Automatic Windows Update

Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:15 pm

haroldpulcher wrote:To be more accurate, I should've included "announced" or "coming soon".

I thought that in my head, but re-read and realized I was thinking faster than I was typing. :)
https://www.windowsforiotdevices.com
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

dobova86
Posts: 71
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:32 pm

Re: Disabling Automatic Windows Update

Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:37 am

My Windows Update button is doing nothing (10586), is there something to setup ? I've cable ethernet with internet access.

ricl
Posts: 657
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:55 am

Re: Disabling Automatic Windows Update

Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:37 am

The update button wont do anything because there are no updates beyond 10586 at the present AFAIK
ricl : F/gamma = ma : Law ii(a) : https://climatedatablog.wordpress.com/2016/01/02/an-energy-challenge-2016/ #AnEnergyChallenge2016

dobova86
Posts: 71
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:32 pm

Re: Disabling Automatic Windows Update

Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:24 am

ricl wrote:The update button wont do anything because there are no updates beyond 10586 at the present AFAIK
Ohhh, after 30min of silence ... it appeared a request to reboot and it installed 20min of updates (rolling gears on display at boot ... ). Now it is at rel 10586.63 ... I don't know what exactly installed!

ricl
Posts: 657
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:55 am

Re: Disabling Automatic Windows Update

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:23 am

Ah. Time to boot my PI and check then. Be a few hours (Not at home).
ricl : F/gamma = ma : Law ii(a) : https://climatedatablog.wordpress.com/2016/01/02/an-energy-challenge-2016/ #AnEnergyChallenge2016

ossandust
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:49 pm

Re: Disabling Automatic Windows Update

Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:08 am

I just recently started playing with a Win10IoT Raspi, and already I get super annoyed with that automatic Windows Update policy. Now when things start to go wrong with no reason, of course we will blame the last update forced upon us. For instance: I started just a few weeks ago with a fresh install of v.10.0.10586.0 Yesterday I noticed that it must have silently upgraded to v.10.0.10586.63. And at the same time I notice that it is no longer possible to shut down my Raspi. After clicking the shutdown button in the default start screen, the screen turns grey, and the green LED starts the endless sequence of blinking 7 times (="kernal.img not found"?) Of course I can't tell for sure if it is related to this update, but it's at least super frustrating to know that it might be.

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 21079
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: Disabling Automatic Windows Update

Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:15 am

ossandust wrote:I just recently started playing with a Win10IoT Raspi, and already I get super annoyed with that automatic Windows Update policy. Now when things start to go wrong with no reason, of course we will blame the last update forced upon us. For instance: I started just a few weeks ago with a fresh install of v.10.0.10586.0 Yesterday I noticed that it must have silently upgraded to v.10.0.10586.63. And at the same time I notice that it is no longer possible to shut down my Raspi. After clicking the shutdown button in the default start screen, the screen turns grey, and the green LED starts the endless sequence of blinking 7 times (="kernal.img not found"?) Of course I can't tell for sure if it is related to this update, but it's at least super frustrating to know that it might be.
:?: did you also post this on the Microsoft IoT MSDN Forum :?:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forum ... WindowsIoT
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

ossandust
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:49 pm

Re: Disabling Automatic Windows Update

Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:37 am

did you also post this on the Microsoft IoT MSDN Forum :?:
Done.

Return to “Windows 10 for IoT”