*** Relaunching after update
*** Raspberry Pi firmware updater by Hexxeh, enhanced by AndrewS and Dom
#############################################################
This update bumps to rpi-4.1.y linux tree
Be aware there could be compatibility issues with some drivers
Discussion here:
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=113753
##############################################################
*** Downloading specific firmware revision (this will take a few minutes)
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed
100 168 0 168 0 0 539 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 541
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 0curl: (56) SSL read: error:00000000:lib(0):func(0):reason(0), errno 104

gzip: stdin: unexpected end of file
tar: Unexpected EOF in archive
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
[email protected]:~#

Or this using rpi-update:
[email protected]:~# rpi-update
*** Performing self-update
*** Relaunching after update
#############################################################
This update bumps to rpi-4.1.y linux tree
Be aware there could be compatibility issues with some drivers
Discussion here:
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=113753
##############################################################
*** Downloading specific firmware revision (this will take a few minutes)
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed
100 168 0 168 0 0 569 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 571
0 47.1M 0 373k 0 0 369k 0 0:02:10 0:00:01 0:02:09 369kcurl: (56) SSL read: error:00000000:lib(0):func(0):reason(0), errno 104

gzip: stdin: unexpected end of file
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
[email protected]:~#

DougieLawson

Re: Linux kernel is now 4.0

Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:08 pm

You've got a bad connection to the internet.

BTW, what reason do you have for running rpi-update? Nobody should run that unless they have a specific need to get a new kernel and new firmware to solve a problem they're working on with the RPF developers.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

erotavlas

Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:34 pm

PhilE wrote:Just FYI, that developer was me. 8-)
Hi PhilE,
I did not understand that you were the developer. However, thank you for your support. I finally found a free time slot in order to go on with my project. So I read the link that you provided for instantiating a I2C device https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentatio ... ng-devices. There are many methods and the most appropriate seems the last one "Instantiate from user-space" as you suggested.
The command you provided seems sufficient to do the job:

Code: Select all

echo adau1701 0x68 > /sys/bus/i2c/devices/i2c-1/new_device
However, what about the address? Which are free addresses and how to find them? Is it necessary to delete this file only when the device is not used anymore?

What is better to write ASoC driver as for sound/soc/bcm/hifiberry_dac.c or to write a configuration file simple_card.txt and use DeviceTree? In particular, I found this https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/bl ... au1701.txt in the same folder.
I'm sorry, I know C language, but it is my first time about using I2C and I2S and writing kernel module or driver.
Thank you again

jorabo

Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:21 am

7 inch DSI Display rotated 180 since last rpi-update !
Any ideas how to rotate it back ?

DirkS

Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:23 am

jorabo wrote:7 inch DSI Display rotated 180 since last rpi-update !
Any ideas how to rotate it back ?
See viewtopic.php?f=108&t=120856&p=816826&h ... te#p816826

jorabo

Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:33 am

Thanks ! Worked !

berryfriend

Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:50 am

After Firmware > 4.0.6-v7+ screen is flickering using Kodi. :|

luipez

Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:39 am

Buongiorno a tutti.
Ho un RPI, una SD con Raspbian e un'altra SD con Rapsbmc (KODI) e questo LCD:
http://www.banggood.com/1024-x-600-7-In ... 53767.html
Voglio installare il touch su entrambe.
Essendo nuovo di RPI e non conoscendo Linux, Vi chiedo se potete indicare ad un neofita come me la sequenza delle istruzioni da eseguire per l'installazione del display sulle due distro.
Grazie
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Goodmorning everyone.
I have an RPI, a SD whit Raspbian and another with Rapsbmc (KODI) and this LCD: http://www.banggood.com/1024-x-600-7-In ... erry-Pi-p- 953767.html
I want to install the touch on both.
Being new to RPI and not knowing Linux, I'm wondering if you can tell a neophyte like me sequence of instructions to be executed for the installation of the display on the two distros.
Thank you

jward

Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:02 pm

(Post removed)
Last edited by jward on Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

luipez

Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:59 pm

luipez wrote:Buongiorno a tutti.
Essendo nuovo di RPI e non conoscendo Linux, Vi chiedo se potete indicare ad un neofita come me la sequenza delle istruzioni da eseguire per l'installazione del display sulle due distro.
Grazie
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Goodmorning everyone.
I have an RPI, a SD whit Raspbian and another with Rapsbmc (KODI) and this LCD: http://www.banggood.com/1024-x-600-7-In ... erry-Pi-p- 953767.html
Being new to RPI and not knowing Linux, I'm wondering if you can tell a neophyte like me sequence of instructions to be executed for the installation of the display on the two distros.
Thank you
Help me!

samskiter

Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:52 pm

Hi, just updated to the latest firmware (following discussion here: viewtopic.php?f=107&t=1315780) and having some issues with my wifi dongle which runs as a host. Intermittently it won't come up. Plugged an HDMI cable in and voila, turns out it's throwing up during boot:

https://goo.gl/photos/gQDuXF375HuSCjbq9

I should probably note I'm using the compute module.

Is this a known bug? I can see that it's dumping a bunch of stuff to storage - I can probably grab the logs if that would help...

PhilE
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:41 pm

I'm investigating a number of similar reports of booting problems using the sdhost interface. Until I make some progress I suggest you add "dtoverlay=mmc" to your config.txt.

PhilE

Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:17 pm

On second thoughts, there is something else you could try:

dtoverlay=sdhost,force_pio
This disables DMA support. You will see a small decrease in performance and an increase in CPU load, but it will be useful to me to know if this solves your SD card problems.

luipez

Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:06 pm

luipez wrote:Buongiorno a tutti.
Grazie
Goodmorning everyone.
Thank you
Help me!

DirkS

Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:13 pm

luipez wrote:Help me!
This has nothing to do with this topic and as you noticed by posting it here nobody has 'heard' you.
Please create a new topic.
BTW: that seems to be a screen with HDMI output, so I would expect it to work without much trouble.
Make sure to give details about exactly what problems you have.

jofemodo

Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:51 pm

Hi PhiE!
I re-open the thread.
I suposse something has changed in the kernel and the solution you gave me in Aug. is not working anymore. Do you know what could be the problem?
I'm running 4.1.15 now ;-)

Thank you very much!
PhilE wrote:Last night's firmware release, available via rpi-update, includes the change to the loader which removes the need for the hacked DTB. After updating, all you should need is:

init_uart_clock=2441000
init_uart_baud=38400
dtparam=uart0_clkrate=3000000
Take care to remove the explicit "device_tree=uart_hack.dtb" (if you used it), to avoid confusing behaviour with future updates.

PhilE

Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:32 pm

Hmm, yes.

It is possible to add things to the command line from overlays, but I made a change on November 9th that caused the cmdline.txt settings to appear after additions from the overlays, allowing the user to override some settings from overlays by editing cmdline.txt. This change was prompted by the vc4-kms-v3d overlay and its CMA settings, but it seemed like the right thing to do anyway.

The complication comes from the fact that the command line is merged into the DT as one of the set of magic firmware-provided properties. The way the November change was implemented was by moving the bulk merge of these properties after the merging of the overlays, but this had the unintended consequence of disabling the uart baudrate hack. A more fine-grained approach is required - watch this space.

jofemodo

Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:45 pm

OK PhiIE! I will be waiting ...
Thanks for your quick answer!
PhilE wrote:Hmm, yes. ...
A more fine-grained approach is required - watch this space.

samskiter

Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:17 pm

PhilE wrote:On second thoughts, there is something else you could try:

dtoverlay=sdhost,force_pio
This disables DMA support. You will see a small decrease in performance and an increase in CPU load, but it will be useful to me to know if this solves your SD card problems.
Had a chance to try this today and it does look like it's working - I'm about 5/6 boots in with no fails. Thanks for your reply, if you need any more data points, let me know.

For now, I'd like to avoid any decrease in performance (although I've yet to see how slow this change is). I used rpi-update to get to this point from kernel 3.18.11 and update the firmware to fix a problem with the device tree ignoring some GPIOs (see: viewtopic.php?f=107&t=131578). How recently was this kernel bug introduced? Is there some point between there and here where the DT issues are fixed but this bug isn't present?

Thanks again

samskiter

Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:20 pm

Update: Scrap that - just got another one.

https://goo.gl/photos/zvfrtQ1D5JRwACh28

PhilE

Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:27 pm

OK, thanks for the feedback - it looks like there is one class of problem avoided using PIO and one that is independent.

For now I suggest you stick to the latest firmware and use the "dtoverlay=mmc" workaround.

samskiter

Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:17 pm

OK, can do - can you explain a little more? Is sdhost newly introduced then? and dtoverlay=mmc gives equivalent behaviour to before?

PhilE

Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:44 pm

BCM2835 has two SD/MMC interfaces - one from Arasan (that I will call MMC) and a low-power version designed by the VPU team in Broadcom (SDHOST). MMC has been the standard RPi SD controller since day one, but there have a been a number of problems with certain cards leading to data corruption that have been attributed to the hardware block and its integration. It also has a restrictive clock divider that prevents you from achieving a full 50MHz bus speed on a non-overclocked VPU.

The bcm2835-sdhost driver was first released at the end of March 2015. It uses the Broadcom SDHOST interface instead which requires slightly more CPU assistance but can hit 50MHz on a stock VPU (core_freq=250). The block has a few quirks, but it doesn't seem to have the same data corruption problems as the MMC block. Switching to sdhost for SD cards also has the benefit of freeing up MMC for potential SDIO applications (e.g. connecting an network interface to a Pi without using USB).

Until November the way to activate the sdhost driver was using a DT overlay ("sdhost"), but current kernel releases use sdhost by default. On the whole the results have been positive, but as you have seen there a few card varieties (and some CM eMMC) that have been problematic. For those affected, the "mmc" overlay can be used to revert to using the MMC interface until the problems have been resolved.

PhilE

Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:22 am

@jofemodo A change to restore the special uart0 clock-rate behaviour will be in the next rpi-update firmware release. There are a number of other changes waiting to go in so you shouldn't have to wait long.

jofemodo

Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:01 pm

Thanks PhilE! I should confirm if it works for me ...
PhilE wrote:@jofemodo A change to restore the special uart0 clock-rate behaviour will be in the next rpi-update firmware release. There are a number of other changes waiting to go in so you shouldn't have to wait long.

Return to “Advanced users”