IeuanG

Pi Zero Availability

Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:25 pm

Hi all,

Does anyone have any idea when the next batch of pi zero's are to become available? I've spoken to pimoroni, and they had received no information, and so I thought I would ask the community instead. I'm looking to buy a fairly small amount (around 10-15), but thought I'd save any heavy purchasing until demand has gone down so as to not hoard the things.

Many Thanks

IeuanG

fruitoftheloom

Re: Pi Zero Availability

Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:21 pm

IeuanG wrote:Hi all,

Does anyone have any idea when the next batch of pi zero's are to become available? I've spoken to pimoroni, and they had received no information, and so I thought I would ask the community instead. I'm looking to buy a fairly small amount (around 10-15), but thought I'd save any heavy purchasing until demand has gone down so as to not hoard the things.

Many Thanks

IeuanG
Only RPT know the production schedule, we as a community, are not privvy to their plans :shock:
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:56 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:Only RPT know the production schedule, we as a community, are not privvy to their plans :shock:
Sure we are - they're apparently going back to their Januarly 2012 plan of making 10,000 boards at a time. Then, a pallet is dropped in the driveway of one of the Foundation "board" members (pun fully intended), splitting the Pii up among all of the board members. They then shove the boards into bubble-pack envelopes and stick address and shipping-fee labels on them at their kitchen tables, followed by Eben and Liz driving them to the shipping point in their SUV. The revenue for each group of boards would then be plowed back into having the next group of boards to be made, then rinse and repeat.

They should be caught up around the time that the Pi Model 10Z comes out with 65,536 256-bit cores running at 10 GHz, with 1 TB of DRAM, USB 5.0, built-in Bluetooth 7.0 and WiFi 802.11zz at 100 Gbps, and a few other features I can't remember from a pizza-and-root-beer-fueled dream. You heard it here first, folks! :lol:
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!

W. H. Heydt

Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:59 pm

Let's see....we are now between Christmas and New Years. There a decent chance that the Sony factory is shut down, rather than deal with as many staff as have vacation time available using it. With Pi0 having extremely thin profit margins, it is probably imperative not to make them under conditions that increase labor costs, so you can't pull the assembly line people back in at anywhere from time-and-a-half to triple time rates.

I wouldn't expect to see much until mid-January.

fruitoftheloom

Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:04 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:Let's see....we are now between Christmas and New Years. There a decent chance that the Sony factory is shut down, rather than deal with as many staff as have vacation time available using it. With Pi0 having extremely thin profit margins, it is probably imperative not to make them under conditions that increase labor costs, so you can't pull the assembly line people back in at anywhere from time-and-a-half to triple time rates.

I wouldn't expect to see much until mid-January.
Also they have to fit in production of the 2B.............
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

W. H. Heydt

Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:06 pm

Jim Manley wrote: They should be caught up around the time that the Pi Model 10Z comes out with 65,536 256-bit cores running at 10 GHz, with 1 TB of DRAM, USB 5.0, built-in Bluetooth 7.0 and WiFi 802.11zz at 100 Gbps, and a few other features I can't remember from a pizza-and-root-beer-fueled dream. You heard it here first, folks! :lol:
Your memory is slipping. That's supposed to be 1PT DRAM. You also forgot the support for 64EB picoSD cards. Oh...and HDMI 8.4 (64K @ 240fps 3D).

Burngate

Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:27 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:Let's see....we are now between Christmas and New Years. There a decent chance that the Sony factory is shut down, rather than deal with as many staff as have vacation time available using it.
Rubbish!
This is Britain, not one of those new-fangled colonies. Workers get one week's holiday, some time in June. All the staff are taken by coach to the nearest wind-swept coastal resort (probably Pwllheli) at the Mill-Owner's expense. And Jolly grateful they are, too.

W. H. Heydt

Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:12 pm

Burngate wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote:Let's see....we are now between Christmas and New Years. There a decent chance that the Sony factory is shut down, rather than deal with as many staff as have vacation time available using it.
Rubbish!
This is Britain, not one of those new-fangled colonies. Workers get one week's holiday, some time in June. All the staff are taken by coach to the nearest wind-swept coastal resort (probably Pwllheli) at the Mill-Owner's expense. And Jolly grateful they are, too.
The beatings will continue until morale improves...

IeuanG

Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:45 pm

The sony factory is about 20 mins drive away from me, would probably be quicker to look through the window :D

lpsw

Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:51 pm

In stock at Adafruit (82 avail just now), mine is on its way :D
Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is - Isaac Asimov

W. H. Heydt

Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:35 pm

lpsw wrote:In stock at Adafruit (82 avail just now), mine is on its way :D
Not any more.

jdb
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:49 pm

Burngate wrote:
Rubbish!
Actually, plants like these shut down for a period over the summer as factory owners worked out it's a lot more cost-effective to just shutter the place for 2-3 weeks (coincident with the school holidays) than have sporadic non-productive time due to a large fraction of the workforce taking time off. Same applies for the Christmas break. It does constrain you a bit in terms of when you are likely to get holiday approved (i.e. good luck taking it either side of the shutdown) but as a whole it reduces the impact that paid holiday time has on shift rotas and staffing levels.
Jim Manley wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote:Only RPT know the production schedule, we as a community, are not privvy to their plans :shock:
They then shove the boards into bubble-pack envelopes and stick address and shipping-fee labels on them at their kitchen tables, followed by Eben and Liz driving them to the shipping point in their SUV.
Close, but no cigar. It's a diesel WV estate car (station wagon) that I have never seen in a state other than covered in mud.
Rockets are loud.
https://astro-pi.org

W. H. Heydt

Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:05 am

jdb wrote: Close, but no cigar. It's a diesel WV estate car (station wagon) that I have never seen in a state other than covered in mud.
What do they do? Go out digging up the Silicon for the SoCs? :-)

In the US, that would be called a "station wagon", if I'm right about the British usage.

jdb

Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:41 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:
jdb wrote: Close, but no cigar. It's a diesel WV estate car (station wagon) that I have never seen in a state other than covered in mud.
What do they do? Go out digging up the Silicon for the SoCs? :-)

In the US, that would be called a "station wagon", if I'm right about the British usage.
Living in rural Cambridgeshire will do that for you. The roads are constructed almost entirely of potholes and filled in with a local mix of loam and bovine manure. The tracks notionally called "B-roads" have probably last seen Tarmac in the 1960s.
Rockets are loud.
https://astro-pi.org

jjex22

Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:54 am

lpsw wrote:In stock at Adafruit (82 avail just now), mine is on its way :D
Congratulations!

They still have 91 kits available @$29.95 which have lasted longer than I expected them too. The kits aren't so bad really - about $0.30 cheaper than adafruit sells all the bits by themselves. (though if you're not in the US... min $24.50 shipping to aus)

I ordered mine from the UK 2 weeks ago, just waiting for it to clear Christmas shipping delays. I was hoping it'd arrive when the post started again after boxing day, so went out and picked up the bits I needed. I must admit my mind has been changed after that experience. Initially I was the type that thought they went too far with cost cutting by using mini/micro ports that required me to add the cost of adapters to the overall cost of setting up a Pi. Actually it wasn't so bad. I'm a techy, yes, but not one that can actually afford all the things I'd like; my phones last out their 2 year plans, and only my wife has a tablet. That said, I found we had a surplus of usb A-> microB cables and 5V USB adapters. I was dreading getting the SD card as it always leaves a sour taste, but actually just in the supermarket they had a 8GB R45/W15 card for A$9 (£4.50), and the other annoyance, the mini HDMI was in the local electronics store as a 1m mini-> standard cable for A$7 (£3.50). I'd been expecting that getting my $5 computer set up was going to be either expensive or sponsored by the 'ships from china' end of eBay, but actually times seem to have changed and without even trying shopping around online it was nice and easy :-)

Just waiting for the thing now! :lol:
I had the idea for a single board computer in every seat on airplanes... but it all just seemed a bit Pi in the Sky!

Woll

Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:20 pm

jdb wrote: Living in rural Cambridgeshire will do that for you. The roads are constructed almost entirely of potholes and filled in with a local mix of loam and bovine manure. The tracks notionally called "B-roads" have probably last seen Tarmac in the 1960s.
You make rural Cambridgeshire sound like Spain under General Franco.
Who ate all the Pi's? Who ate all the Pi's?
Boris Johnson, Boris Johnson,
Who ate all the Pi's?

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:23 am

jdb wrote:Living in rural Cambridgeshire will do that for you.
Oh, how quaint, living in the Shire! I suppose the inhabitants are diminutive in stature and have furry feet, too? :lol:
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats

DougieLawson

Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:56 am

Jim Manley wrote:
Oh, how quaint, living in the Shire! I suppose the inhabitants are diminutive in stature and have furry feet, too? :lol:
I think you'll find that most of the counties in the UK are shires, so it's nothing quaint at all. There are fewer counties that aren't shires. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U ... tymologies
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

jjex22

Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:13 am

DougieLawson wrote:
Jim Manley wrote:
I think you'll find that most of the counties in the UK are shires, so it's nothing quaint at all. There are fewer counties that aren't shires. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U ... tymologies
So true... Even Devon is called a shire in every other county :lol:
I had the idea for a single board computer in every seat on airplanes... but it all just seemed a bit Pi in the Sky!

Jim Manley

Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:27 pm

DougieLawson wrote:I think you'll find that most of the counties in the UK are shires, so it's nothing quaint at all. There are fewer counties that aren't shires. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U ... tymologies
55 out of 105 according to that page, so juuuust barely, and there are none in Northern Ireland, which was not a surprise. I must admit a preference for Worcestershire ... as in the fine Lea & Perrins product splashed on open-faced grilled extra sharp Cheddar cheese sandwiches ... MMMmmm!!! :lol:

IeuanG

Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:01 pm

Now available at adafruit https://www.adafruit.com/products/2885

Douglas6

Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:15 pm

And now out-of-stock. I nabbed one tho, thanks.

emma1997

Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:37 pm

My backup Pi Zero has arrived from Pimoroni and includes the famous printed card with blacked out RAM size. Illuminati predicts these cards will be worth millions by 2099. Not so much due to collectible/vintage appreciation as inflation which gets real bad real soon. And the fact that anything made out of trees will be worth more than it's weight in gold. I'll be rich.

W. H. Heydt

Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:20 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
Jim Manley wrote:
Actually...The Shire, in Tolkien's works, was an idealized rural England of his youth run back to before industrialization (you know...the "dark, Satanic mills").

Heater

Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:29 pm

No, no, no. It's indicative of the fact that Americans, having had to live so far away from civilization for such a long time, have forgotten their native language. They also have no idea about geography. Everyone knows "The Shire" is in New Zealand.

:)
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

Return to “General discussion”