grillomalta

Why is Jessie asking for a password?

Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:12 pm

Set up the lite version of Jessie, for which I downloaded the GUI. It is now asking me for a login name and password.

I have tried everything... it's been three hours now, midnight, and I am about to throw the whole lot out the window.

It is NOT pi / raspberry , although it will log in using those credentials in cli... I even tried raspi-config to boot into GUI with the above details.... works in cli , but gui simply won't have it.

I CANNOT believe something that is meant to be so simple give so much problems...

:evil:

Acorn22

Re: Why is Jessie asking for a password?

Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:44 am

This happened to me too. I changed the password from the default. After a reboot, no password would work (default or the new one) and I had to re-image my SD card.

jojopi

Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:37 am

Acorn22 wrote:This happened to me too.
You also could log in in text mode but not in the GUI?
grillomalta wrote:works in cli , but gui simply won't have it.
Does the GUI actually say that the credentials you have given are wrong, or does it just fail to launch a desktop and immediately ask you to log in again?

Since you have installed the GUI yourself on a "lite" image, it is possible you have missed out or not configured some important package. Or you could simply have no free space in the root filesystem. Does it work to log in in text mode and then run "startx"?

Acorn22

Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:50 am

I am using Lite with no gui

Edit: I used raspi-config to change the password. I can't seem to recreate the behavior. I must have mispelled the password as I set it (twice!)

DougieLawson

Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:20 am

Does the userid you're using have security access to ~/.Xauthority and to it's /home/useridgoeshere directory. Is the userid you're running a member of the audio and video groups?
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

I'll do your homework for you for a suitable fee.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

grillomalta

Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:46 am

I have no idea... I have years of experience with pcs especially dos, but I am bit rusty with raspbian...

WHAT do I have to do to log in? I tried raspi-config, to no avail... stayed up to 3.30 in the morning until exhaustion gave in... simple english will do .

Thanks. :-)

DougieLawson

Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:08 pm

What do you get on the screen when your RPi boots?

Is it the Raspbian GUI, is it the NOOBS installer or is it a login screen?

If it's the GUI there's a menu option "preferences" that does the stuff that raspi-config does. Or you can open an LXTerminal and run sudo raspi-config.

If it's NOOBS you have another step to run to get Raspbian running, choose Raspbian from the menu, click "INSTALL" and get a cup of tea or coffee while it runs

If it boots to a login screen enter: pi and press the enter key, enter raspberry (which won't display it won't even show as *********) and press enter. You then get something that looks like

Code: Select all

login as: pi
password:

The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software;
the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.
Last login: Sun Dec 13 23:29:18 2015
[email protected]:~ $
you can then enter sudo raspi-config to get started.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

mikerr

Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:14 pm

grillomalta wrote:Set up the lite version of Jessie, for which I downloaded the GUI. It is now asking me for a login name and password.
How exactly did you download the GUI ?

TBH if you're installing X, you may be better off with the full raspbian download instead of Lite...
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

BobKruse

Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:25 pm

Hi I ran into this this morning.
I was hoping that the Jessie lite image would have the gui desktop, but not all the office/games/sound/educational toys.
Instead it had a stripped cli for the headless folks.
When I tried to enable boot to gui in raspi-config it suggested that it apt-get install lightdm.
After installation and reboot, it had a Debian, not Raspbian desktop.
log in pi, pw raspberry no longer worked, it just kept restarting the login screen.
I tried log in raspberrypi and guessing a password. It said invalid password, as if raspberrypi was a valid user.

I just went back to the full image. I can strip out what I don't want.
The lite image is for the people who need a headless image.

Bob

DirkS

Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:55 am

BobKruse wrote:The lite image is for the people who need a headless image.
Nonsense, having a GUI has no relation to headless use.
There are people who use a non-gui system with a screen and a keyboard (including me) or use a system *with* a gui in headless mode (again, including me).

AFAIK to get the standard Pi GUI you also need to install raspberrypi-ui-mods (and maybe raspberrypi-net-mods)

Parkview

Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:46 am

I too have been trying to install a GUI onto Jessie Lite (upgraded to current packages).

I have tried installing these RPi modules:

sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg xinit lxde lightdm raspberrypi-ui-mods (found from various blog posts)

Note: tried installing: raspberrypi-net-mods (but was told all parts have already been installed)

I am stuck in a GUI login loop:
* enter username/password
* screen goes blank/black
* some seconds later the mouse cursor appears
* then I am back at the GUI login screen.

I have no problems remotely SSH'ing into or logging in via the local keyboard.

Anyone else have any ideas on how to install Lightdm and relevant GUI packages onto Jessie Lite?

Parkview

Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:33 am

here are some log file lines:

sudo cat /var/log/lightdm/lightdm.log
[+21.88s] DEBUG: Using VT 7
[+21.88s] DEBUG: Seat: Starting local X display on VT 7
[+21.88s] DEBUG: DisplayServer x-0: Logging to /var/log/lightdm/x-0.log
[+21.88s] DEBUG: DisplayServer x-0: Writing X server authority to /var/run/lightdm/root/:0
[+21.88s] DEBUG: DisplayServer x-0: Launching X Server
[+21.88s] DEBUG: Launching process 784: /usr/bin/X :0 -seat seat0 -auth /var/run/lightdm/root/:0 -nolisten tcp vt7 -novtswitch
[+21.88s] DEBUG: DisplayServer x-0: Waiting for ready signal from X server :0
[+22.34s] DEBUG: Got signal 10 from process 784
[+22.34s] DEBUG: DisplayServer x-0: Got signal from X server :0
[+22.34s] DEBUG: DisplayServer x-0: Connecting to XServer :0
[+22.35s] DEBUG: Seat: Display server ready, starting session authentication
[+22.35s] DEBUG: Session pid=791: Started with service 'lightdm-greeter', username 'lightdm'
[+22.40s] DEBUG: Session pid=791: Authentication complete with return value 0: Success
[+22.40s] DEBUG: Seat: Session authenticated, running command
[+22.40s] DEBUG: Session pid=791: Running command /usr/sbin/lightdm-gtk-greeter
[+22.40s] DEBUG: Creating shared data directory /var/lib/lightdm/data/lightdm
[+22.40s] DEBUG: Session pid=791: Logging to /var/log/lightdm/x-0-greeter.log
[+22.43s] DEBUG: Activating VT 7
[+22.43s] DEBUG: Activating login1 session c5
[+22.64s] DEBUG: Session pid=791: Greeter connected version=1.10.3
[+26.41s] DEBUG: Session pid=791: Greeter start authentication
[+26.41s] DEBUG: Session pid=817: Started with service 'lightdm', username '(null)'
[+26.44s] DEBUG: Session pid=817: Got 1 message(s) from PAM
[+26.44s] DEBUG: Session pid=791: Prompt greeter with 1 message(s)

--------------------------------------------------------------
sudo cat /var/log/lightdm/x-0-greeter.log

(lightdm-gtk-greeter:798): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_container_foreach: assertion 'GTK_IS_CONTAINER (container)' failed

(lightdm-gtk-greeter:798): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_container_foreach: assertion 'GTK_IS_CONTAINER (container)' failed

Looking over this list of packages: http://n8henrie.com/2015/12/default-pac ... nd-wheezy/

I then installed: sudo apt-get install gtk2-engines

After the above install, I now receive:

sudo tail -f /var/log/lightdm/x-0-greeter.log

** (lightdm-gtk-greeter:798): WARNING **: Error getting user list from org.freedesktop.Accounts: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.Accounts was not provided by any .service files

Well all the troubleshooting for the moment...

Parkview

Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:13 am

well, not quite. While waiting for the full version of Jessie to download I tried installing the following:

sudo apt-get install gnome-control-center

this took quite a while to download and install the MANY dependant packages. There has been no change to any of the log files.

DougieLawson

Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:06 am

Parkview wrote:I too have been trying to install a GUI onto Jessie Lite (upgraded to current packages).
Why on earth are you doing that with Jessie Lite, that's insane? Use the full Jessie install and you get a GUI that is a) pre-configured and b) just works. The whole point of Jessie Lite is NO GUI because you don't need a GUI on a headless system.

Parkview

Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:21 am

Thanks Dougie, I hear you.

It's because I started off thinking I didn't need it and just 'presumed' that if I did need it, I could just install the master package that would take care of it for me.

I had previously spent a few hours installing other packages for my current project, so I didn't think it would take much to install the GUI. Obviously I found out that was not the case - at least not yet. Maybe in a few months time someone might figure it out and post a script?

The full Jessie has finished downloading, so I shall move on :)

rpdom

Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:11 pm

I just finished setting up a basic desktop on Jessie Lite. I tried to keep things as minimal as possible and didn't install anything other than a few basic apps (terminal/filemanager). I also didn't install the meta-packages like xserver-xorg as who needs all those drivers for different video cards and stuff?

I'll keep my notes and see if I can reproduce it again later. I might even make up a meta-package or script to do it automatically, if I can be bothered ;)

Parkview

Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:38 pm

Well done! Love to see the notes when your ready to post them.

jdc

Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:28 pm

Hi
I have the same login loop problem as described.

Two reasons why I was using Jessie lite
1. I only had a 4gig sd card and the full Jessie requires a 8gig sd.
2. I was loading it on my oldest pi which only has 256mb ram.

I was hoping that Jessie lite would run ok on this older pi using less resources.

jdc

lcww1

Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:30 pm

take a look at this very helpful guide elsewhere on the forum:

viewtopic.php?p=890408#p890408

I think this is the guide you're looking for..................

alehman

Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:04 pm

Hello,
I am new to RasPi and this forum. I started with Jessie lite, but here is no GUI, as a learned the hard way.

I just downloaded a new image of full Jessie, but it too does not seem to have GUI. 'startx' produced 'file not found'. I installed lightdm per the suggestion provided and it configured it to boot to GUI. It now boots to a Debian 8 login screen, but it won't accept the default password.

A lot of people seem to be having this problem. Can someone provide clear direction on how to get a usable system?
Getting frustrated.

Thanks,
Alan

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:19 pm

alehman wrote:Hello,
I just downloaded a new image of full Jessie, but it too does not seem to have GUI. 'startx' produced 'file not found'. I installed lightdm per the suggestion provided and it configured it to boot to GUI. It now boots to a Debian 8 login screen, but it won't accept the default password.
Alan
What did you download and from where? What you've described shouldn't happen - the current release of Raspbian Jessie + Pixel desktop** should default to booting to the desktop (and auto-logged in as user pi IIRC). For my purposes, after changing pi's password, I disable auto-login and boot-to-desktop to revert to command-line boot (since I may be running headless having far more Pi's than monitors)
Trev.
**https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/introducing-pixel/
Still running Raspbian Jessie or Stretch on some older Pi's (an A, B1, 2xB2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W, 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, and a A+) but Buster on the P4B's. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

rma153

Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:29 am

This may me not the way it is supposed to work, but trust me, this is exactly what is happening.

Debian 8 GUI does not accept raspberry as the password which leaves you in a loop of incorrect credentials, with no way to recover.

Has anyone found a fix, other than "re-image? After all, Raspi-config instructs you to follow this flawed procedure.

Can't we fix this absurdity? Please fix this most basic password conflict. Unnacceptible

jojopi

Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:17 pm

rma153 wrote:Debian 8 GUI does not accept raspberry as the password which leaves you in a loop of incorrect credentials, with no way to recover.
If you see a message such as "incorrect password", then your credentials are being rejected. Otherwise the password is correct, but the GUI is failing to launch.

There is always a way to recover. If just the GUI is broken you can press Ctrl+Alt+F2 to switch to text mode. If you need to reset a password you can boot into single user mode.

I am not sure what "flawed procedure" you are referring to, however. If the problem was present immediately after installation, then you are best to re-image. If you tried to install a GUI onto a Lite image, which is what this thread was mostly about, you may be better to start with a GUI image instead.

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:32 pm

rma153 wrote: ...
Debian 8 GUI does not accept raspberry as the password which leaves you in a loop of incorrect credentials, with no way to recover.
Did you really mean "Debian 8" (and not Raspbian)? If so then maybe other "credentials" are needed (probably to be found elsewhere than here)
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie or Stretch on some older Pi's (an A, B1, 2xB2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W, 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, and a A+) but Buster on the P4B's. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

rma153

Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:15 pm

I installed Jessie lite. But I realized I needed a GUI, so I followed the instructions in raspi-config to get lightdm which installs Debian 8 GUI and requires a password. I solved this with an ssh into my Pi and I removed the Debian 8 GUI, and instead installed another GUI. I just think that others will likely follow the same instructions in raspi -config that lead to the password issue. Simply publishing the default login will save many from suffering the same bad experience. The usual "raspberry" password does not work.

Return to “Raspberry Pi OS”